Home

This is messed up! QB on KO Coverage?!

This is a discussion on This is messed up! QB on KO Coverage?! within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Unhappy This is messed up! QB on KO Coverage?!

Short story, I discovered my QB on my KO coverage team! He's big and slow so I probably don't have to worry about him getting in on any tackles!

Do I need to inventory every special team at the beginning of every game to sub out inappropriate players?

Longer story. I KO to start the game. Pick 6 on the first play. Another KO. Three and out. Punt. My offense takes the field and my #2 QB is in. Now I'm trying to call running plays and scramble around to figure out how this happened. My QB isn't on the injury report. The depth chart is right. I didn't accidentally sub in the second team (Did that once upon a time ). Finally I look at Health and Fatigue, his Fatigue is 90 (this is after 4 offensive plays on the bench) and the next play my #1 QB is back in the game.

So how could my QB get tired before he entered the game? On a later KO, I discovered the answer. My QB is on my KO coverage team!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: This is messed up! QB on KO Coverage?!

The offense's depth chart gets hit for kickoff coverage - from fullbacks and tight ends, unless I'm mistaken. The AI attempts to draw two of each, I believe, and makes up any deficiencies elsewhere. I believe that's how QBs end up on KO coverage.

Since I frequently carry both two FB and two TE into games, I don't see it much - but if one or more gets injured... yeah.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Rookie

Icon14 Re: This is messed up! QB on KO Coverage?!

Thanks, I don't usually have 2 FB on my roster, much less active, but this will give me something to experiment with.

Where do you get this info? Maybe I should buy one of those manuals I've seen you mention!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Rookie

Icon11 Re: This is messed up! QB on KO Coverage?!

I have answers and questions!

I did some experimenting during a live game. I looked at my KO formation before the beginning of the game. It had my #1 FB and #1 TE at two FB positions and my #2 TE and #1 QB at two TE positions. I subbed my biggest WR for the QB and started. (I thought the game would start shortly after I selected the play call button, it won't).

My #2 FB and #3 TE were not active so my in game depth chart looked like this:

FB1: T Meriweather
FB2: A Gates
FB3:

TE1: A Gates
TE2: D Simpson
TE3:

At halftime I modified my in game depth chart to add players in the vacant slots. The KO Return formations then included 3 TE and 1 FB. I backed out and modified the depth chart to include 6 unique, healthy players. The formations now included the expected two FB and two TE.

Just woolgathering, if I were doing it, I would have backup players including 2 CB, FS, SS, 4 LB, FB, HB and K.

I did observe on the FG formation that the game was selecting backup OL before starters in some cases (I only had 8 active OL) so some more experimentation may be useful.

I had assumed that if I left a spot vacant on the depth chart the game would, if needed, take the next highest adjusted OVL rated player available for the next play. I'm pretty sure that's how NCAA Football worked. Now I see that was way too logical.

I had a clue several seasons back when my backup QB had a pass reception. Now I think I understand how that could happen.

I now believe that for special teams, FB and TE are complimentary positions and the game will take 4 available players from the in game depth chart. If there aren't 4 available FB/TE it apparently goes to the top of the depth chart.

I always leave vacant slots on my in game depth chart. now I'm wondering what's happening during the games. I routinely looked at downs played at the end of games for many seasons and nothing alarmed me. Now I'm not sure if I need to spend the time to fill all those blanks.

This is good to know: you can correct this problem with your in game depth chart, you don't have to study and sub every special teams formation.

One thing for sure, you need four, unique, available players in the six FB and TE slots on your in game depth chart unless you want your QB playing special teams.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Dealer
Thanks, I don't usually have 2 FB on my roster, much less active, but this will give me something to experiment with.

Where do you get this info? Maybe I should buy one of those manuals I've seen you mention!
This I learned mostly by watching who shows up being fatigued after kickoffs. This is most certainly not in any manual or strategy guide I've ever seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebongreen
The offense's depth chart gets hit for kickoff coverage - from fullbacks and tight ends, unless I'm mistaken. The AI attempts to draw two of each, I believe, and makes up any deficiencies elsewhere.......
You got it right again. After one experiment I concluded the CPU would put a QB in if there weren't enough TE and FB on the in game depth chart. The very next game, the CPU went and got my #1 HB instead of my #1 QB.

I still think 4 available players on the in game depth chart in the FB/TE slots will fix this feature!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »