Home

Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense

This is a discussion on Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Banned

msuboy11's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense

Justin smith at le, Amobi Okoye at Re, and Athya Rubin at DT. Going to probably have to save and reload a lot to get smith, but he is worth it. Through 3 games, he has 6 or 7 sacks. Not to mention he tackles everyone! His overall grade his higher than his potential right now, which is 91. He also has great personality! Have Bobby Carpenter, Aj Hawk, and Phillip Wheeler at linebackers. Ding good! Have Fred Bennet, but really no one else at CB. Trade for Marvin White, then switch him to SS. He can be good starter, but grab Kenny Philips n 1st round(I got him at 27) then you have the 2 great SS, and both have great personalities, and are cheap! Justin Smith is absolutely neccasary for this defense though!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

The answer to the question about 4-3 to 3-4 is fairly complicated in real life. One reason is that people don't realize that there are different systems of 3-4. For example, the Patriots play a two-gapping scheme in which the DEs are basically DTs--huge 300 pounders whose job is to stuff the run and occupy blockers. The Steelers also play a 3-4, but it is very different. In that system the DEs play one-gap, and even drop into coverage on occasion! So their DEs are a little smaller and more athletic. An OLB in the Patriots system has to be truly versatile--he'll find himself dropping into coverage at least as often as he is rushing the QB. On the other hand, in Dallas DeMarcus Ware is more or less a LB in name only, as he is pass rushing on virtually every play.

At any rate, as concerns the game, I consider the 3-4 broken. One reason is that the concept of a single, huge defensive linemen occupying multiple blockers--e.g. Wilfork and Ngata--doesn't exist in the game. It never takes more than one blocker to block a defensive player. This pretty much destroys the run-stopping strategy of the 3-4 and turns the strength of a two-gapping 3-4 into a weakness. Your ILBs are left taking on guards on every play, leaving you to wonder why you didn't just pick 4-3 so you had DTs taking on the guards.

The second major problem is in converting college DEs to OLBs. Every defensive lineman automatically has a 10 coverage rating no matter how athletic he is. It's not like in real life where you can scout a guy and say "he's athletic enough to drop into coverage" and you train him up from there. Instead, every defensive lineman is incapable of coverage, period. This is largely overcome by the fact that you can just draft a 240 pound linebacker and play him at OLB in the 3-4 because size actually has no effect on the game. But that destroys the immersion factor for me.

There are other issues with the 3-4 in the game, but this post is already long enough. We can discuss it further if anyone is interested.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #27
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

I love the 335, and in addition to your SS - which I actually got 3 studs for basically nothing to start my career off (this first time was with a 4-3 team I took over in 2008 that I wanted to convert to 335 - the vikings for those keeping score) (I'll list the SSs below so people who aren't familiar don't get something spoiled or handed to them) but the OLBs are hugely important. Speed kills. The ability to cover is important too. Honestly, there are several guys in the 08 draft who have like 90 speeds - some that rush well like Avril, and some that cover like LaRoque. In fact, LaRoque was my backup OLB I would sub in to obviously passing downs for my MLB because his coverage and speed are both really high for a LB. (and my original MLB was hurt and it was tough finding a replacement that I wanted to use in coverage anyway) LaRoque had 6 INTs by season end - pretty dang good for a backup OLB playing MLB!

So for the SS's if you need them cheap and right away...

you can trade for Bernard Pollard from the Chiefs for a 5th rounder mosttimes and in UDFA get Barrett and Horton (one's listed as a FS, move him) they have great speed and high-mid 80s potential as run support SSs) Or just keep on at FS if you need one. If you draft late you can get Phillips at FS or SS too. The advantage of the playbook is also in the size of it, so rookies can learn it fast and not be a huge liability. By the end of the first year, you'll have more high rated Safeties than you know what to do with! Also, resigning the UDFAs are cheap...

Also, like any formation with 3 DLs, make sure they can tackle and have strength. If your DT doesn't have a super high tackle score, runs up the gut are gonna get you, esp if it's someone line Shaun Alexander coming. A high hit power is nice too, esp on backs that like to fumble.

Anyway, hope you'll have fun with it - that and the 4-2-5 are by far my favorite defenses in the game...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
Banned

Used to love running the 335 mustang but I got real tired of a couple things. trying to find 3 dominant dl that wont just open holes for the lbs but get sacks themselves. I also grew weary of the cbs being switched in that system. The 1 is on the left and the 2 is on the right. Thats because SS1 is on the right and SS2 is on the left(to strengthen both sides at diffent levels). FS is in the middle of course playing a true center field role. AND Both ss need man coverage skills(press and cvr), not just zone! If they arent blitzing they're man covering when you arent playing zone.

I mean as long as you understand these key principles, its okay. Next time I decide to run it, i'll prolly get Xavier cox or something just to make sure I can get pressure from the RE.

Its by no means a bad defense, won me several superbowls and perfect seasons with great staffs and rosters. It just got old, same with the 46 and the 3-4. I always end up back with the 4-3, either cover 2 sprinkling in man cvr 3&4 and blitzes or vice versa(man blitz with a lil zone here and there to keep em honest). I like having 4 big hogs on the line at all times though, rather than 3 and an extra linebacker at all times...

Still gotta try that 326 playbook onetime(maybe next), but I gotta find the best path for CBs then! Also wanna use the 425 sooner or later.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

Yeah, with any 3 DL defense, the Dlineman aren't there for the sacks, though the right guy like Ngata or Calais Campbell will get some just because they're pretty dominant.... I absolutely love the 4-2-5! Haven't messed with the 3-2-6 - I just get the feeling teams will run right over that, esp with a stud back. Maybe I'll do a "coach now" game with it or something to see, but I dunno.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 26

Has anyone seen a CPU coach running the 3-3-5? I think most of the coaches that do run the playbook never get hired as HC's.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #31
Banned

I believe the only way you see cpu coaches with the 335 is if you yourself have it as your defense. The cpu has a copycat system where whatever system you're running effectively will be run effectively by other coaches with it. For instance, when you choose 46, more coaches will be hired that run the 46 like hugh jackson from the raiders(became a head coach in my division when I was with the bears, he went to lions).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Has anyone seen a CPU coach running the 3-3-5? I think most of the coaches that do run the playbook never get hired as HC's.
4-2-5 yes, 3-3-5 no

Just call me Sanchez

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »