Home

Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense

This is a discussion on Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense

I've taken notice that only a few people have mentioned running this defense, and the number of those who have mentioned the success of their endeavors with this defense are even fewer. This rather surprised me, as it is a defense that is prevalent in the college game at all divisions. Given the lack of posed information on it, I have decided that it is worth sharing the pros and cons of using this defense in NFL Head Coach 2009. It is also worth noting that I use this defense exclusively, regardless of which team I take over. It is, in my opinion, among the most effective defenses if run correctly. I will break this down into three sections, starting with a breakdown of the scheme (including a light dusting over the nomenclature of the play calling), and then I will move into an overview of each position and the philosophy that surrounds it including players that are effective and have been tested to perform the responsibilities of their respective positions, and finally I will cover some "insider" tips from someone who run nothing but this defense, and how to make it successful against any scheme and any team in the game. Let's dive in!

Scheme

Overview
And so we begin our look into the history of the 3-3-5 (hereafter referred to as the "Mustang" defense). To my knowledge, the defense made it's legitimate debut from the mind of one University of South Carolina coach in the '60s. This was before SC became the SEC powerhouse that it is today, and this scheme likely catapulted it to a position in which to have success. History aside, the Mustang defense as it pertains to Head Coach 09 is the perfect blend of pressure and coverage to combat the west coast style that has overtaken the NFL.

Essentially, you are given three down linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs with which to work. This scheme further breaks down into a RE, LE, and DT; MLB, ROLB, LOLB; two CBs, a FS, and two SS.

The playbook has only one formation from which to choose plays, but contains three different alignments within it. Allow me to explain. There are three ways that this defense allows you to line up (similar to the 4-3 Over, or Under). Here are the alignments as I call them (they are not differentiated between each other in the game by anything other than the picture).
"Normal" - DT is head up on the Center, DE's are head up on the tackles and the linebackers sit behind them at around four yards back. The SS's are around six yards deep and a few yards outside of the linebackers.

"Over" - This shifts the line over one set, meaning that the RE is now head up on the Center, the DT is on the Tackle and the LE is outside shade of the TE. The Linebackers shift so that the ROLB is now on the line of scrimmage over the Tackle, and the other two shift over.

"Deep" - This is just like the "normal" alignment, only the SS's are now about nine yards off of the ball, making it more obvious that they are in coverage. This suits zone better than man.
The major concern I had when I first began experimenting with the Mustang defense is that it would be weak against the run. If run improperly, this is ultimately the case; however, with the proper personnel in place, this defense can consistently lead the league in rushing defense. Read on to learn how.
Pro's and Con's
In general, I'm very partial to this defense. This may sway me to imagining a case in which it is perfect and has no flaws. If I am honest with myself, though, I must admit that I know it's limitations. Still, I'll lead off with the qualities that make this defense such a great one to use.

The playbook is TINY! I'm not certain of the exact figures, but there is only the one formation from which to choose plays. It makes finding those money plays that are incredibly effective very simple. It also promotes very quick mastery of the entire playbook. By mid-season of my first year, every play is at a mastered level. Yes, every play.

This defense can take even your first year team to new heights.
Picking up a few key players in the first draft will get you well on your way to turning that struggling franchise around very quickly. Because of this fact, it adds appeal to the new player looking to make a statement with the Dolphins or Chiefs. It is also an easy defense to convert to from the typical 4-3 and 3-4 concepts of most playbooks.

It is unique to the NFL game.
I guarantee you that no Head Coach runs this defensive playbook in your first few seasons. Honestly, I haven't seen anyone else run it against me ever. That unique quality makes it even more special.

It CONSTANTLY puts pressure on the QB.
The ability to blitz from every conceivable angle, utilizing personnel previously ineffective to blitz - namely the SS - and the sheer adaptability to any situation helps any coach.

If run correctly, it shuts down the run.
If, as a coach, one makes the right personnel choices, there is a great chance that this defense will leave offensive linemen missing blocks, and will give one the opportunity to utilize the "emotional" or "calm" reaction to plenty of tackles for loss.

With those things in mind, lets move on to the things against which this defense struggles.

If improperly recruited for, it struggles against power run offenses. This is rather self-explanatory, but to elaborate slightly: if you don't have two Strong Safeties that are capable of coming down and making a sure tackle, it is very hard to set the edge against teams.

Finding two talented Strong Safeties is a challenge.
This elaborates off of the previous point. It will take a few draft classes to properly sort out the issue of now having to have two Strong Safeties that are stellar, rather than just the one. Often, this is a forgotten or less important position on other defenses, but I guarantee you that this is the single-most important roster slot that you have for this defense.

Simming the season becomes difficult.
This is subjective and depends on your coaches, of course, but I've found that this defense is most effective when the games are actually played in real-time.

Struggles against No-Huddle.
Similar to the above point, in that this experience may depend upon your coordinating staff, but in the past my teams have struggled to hold their own against the no-huddle, and I notice key aspects of the game change when this happens. Namely, the absence of pressure on the QB. This leads to receivers that make 20-25 yard catches against man coverage. As a coach, that certainly frustrates me.
Converting Your Team to a 3-3-5
This is relatively easy to do for just about any team, and will be covered in more detail in the next section. Obviously the key difference between the Mustang defense and other pro defenses is that it relies on having two good Strong Safeties. This replaces the need of two Defensive Tackles, or two Middle Linebackers that are common with the 4-3 and 3-4 respectively. Other than that, the positions are relatively close to what one would normally see. I will discuss philosophy in the next section as well.
Nomenclature
This is just something that I've noticed and enjoyed because I've worked with something similar to this defense as a Defensive Backs coach before. The calls mirror what I am used to hearing in regards to coverages. Essentially you have two types of man coverage in this defense: "Gold" and "Green".

Gold is Cover One, or Man-Free, meaning the defense is bringing a five man pressure and there are five men in man coverage plus a safety playing free.

Green is Cover Zero, or blitz coverage, and it is the one I call most often. This means that there is a six man blitz coming and everyone not rushing the line of scrimmage is in tight man coverage. I also like to press out of this coverage, giving the pressure more time to get to the QB. That is done after the huddle call, though.

The rest are rather ambiguous and reflects most of EA Sports calls in typical defenses (e.g. "Middle Blitz", etc.).

Position Breakdown
NOTE: These are all my personal choices in philosophy. I discuss the responsibilities of the scheme as well as alternatives to fit your needs.
Defensive Line
Defensive Tackle- "Run Stopper" The other alternative here is to build your team like a 3-4/Versatile style. The Defensive Tackle is responsible for stopping the run. He will rarely appear on any stat sheet, and certainly will not lead your team in tackles. He is, however, integral to holding his own against Offensive Linemen and the most important thing is that he cannot give up ground or move backwards.
Right End- "Run Stopper" This player will need to be called on to act as a Nose Tackle in the "over" alignment, which means he needs to be big and strong. Again, one could also use the 3-4/Versatile philosophy with this player, but it is essential that he be molded to stopping the run or at least to occupy blockers to allow space for the linebackers and safeties to make a tackle.
Left End- "Run Stopper" This guy is a special prospect in that he can break the mold from the other defensive end a bit. This is where I feel the game falls short in philosophy. Left and Right Ends are not interchangeable. This makes my point well: This player could actually be more suited to being a pass rusher. Why? In the "over" alignment, he is actually playing outside of the Tight End, and will have a chance to speed rush the QB. Still, I tend to make sure that this guy is fully capable of stopping the run before I turn him loose.
Linebacker
Middle Linebacker- "Balanced" I like to use this philosophy for my linebackers because it gives a general statement about their abilities as a whole. All three of these guys need to be proficient at stopping the run and playing man coverage. Mostly, the Middle Linebacker will not be the one making sacks, but he will be coming free against any run to the middle, so he needs to be able to make a good read and make a tackle.
Left Outside Linebacker- "Balanced" This guy can be a bit more suited (as an individual) to rushing the passer. He is usually going to be the one to come clean on a pass rush. This is especially true when you are in the "over" alignment. He should be fast, and you definitely want him to be an efficient run-stopper, but not as much as the other linebackers.
Right Outside Linebacker- "Balanced" This is another one of those situations where I feel the game comes up short in terms of philosophy. This guy differs entirely from his left side counterpart, and that is the main reason why I stick to the balanced philosophy. This guy needs to be able to shed blocks and be an effective run stopper. He is not going to be in position to make many plays rushing the passer in spite of the fact that he will be blitzing around 70% of the time. This is especially true in the "over" alignment, where he is almost acting as a fourth defensive lineman.
Defensive Backs
Cornerbacks- "Man Coverage/Ballhawk" Both of these guys need to be well suited to covering receivers without much hope for help. I run this defense to where I play zone coverage next to never, so the corners are running with a philosophy I like to call "YO-YO". You're On Your Own.
Free Saftey- "Centerfielder" Don't let the philosophy confuse you, this guy does more than just sit back and play zone. Anytime "Green" coverage is called, he has to be able to play man to man on either a slot receiver or a Tight End. This means that this guy must be tall and athletic. Still, it is worthy of note that I can't think of a time when he has ever blitzed. Take that for what it's worth.
Strong Safety- "Prototype" As I've mentioned a few times before, this guy (or more accurately guys, plural) is the centerpiece of the defense. You want players that are physically and athletically gifted in all areas. The need to be fast and agile enough to cover receivers and big Tight Ends as well as come on a blitz and get to the QB. In my schemes, one of these two guys ends up being named DPOTY simply based on his tackle, sack, and INT numbers.

Tips and Tricks
I want to take this time to recommend a few players at each position. These are the guys I've had success with, but should also be used to measure the abilities of similar players.

DT- Vince Wilfork, Athya Rubin
RE- Richard Seymore, Dre Moore (Converted DT)
LE- Ty Warren, Jason Taylor, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers
MLB- Teddy Bruschi, Alonzi Simms, Mack Jackson
LOLB- Dexter Knox, Keith Rivers, Shawne Merriman
ROLB- Adalius Thomas
CB- Nnamdi Asmougha, Asante Samuel, Juran Riley
FS- Eugene Wilson, Ed Reed
SS- Troy Polumalu, Juran Riley (Converted CB), Kenny Phillips, JJ Collins

Notice that I've converted a few players here and there. This has helped me to utilize my best players in positions that they might not be best suited for, but are still dominant at in a bind.

Well, I think that about does it for my assessment on the 3-3-5 Mustang defense in NFL Head Coach 2009. Feel free to pose any questions or comments if I was unclear about anything at all. Honestly, my intention here is not to show off my knowledge or anything of the sort. I am simply hoping to educate others on a subject through which wisdom was gained at the expense of those teams I coached. It is certainly fun to experiment with this scheme, and I encourage everyone to do so at least once. What have you got to lose?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Effectively Utilizing the 3-3-5 Mustang Defense

Thanks for the write-up, very informative. I went ahead and started a new franchise to play around with the 3-3-5. Any chance you could give a quick couple of suggestion for who might be worthwhile in the 2008 draft above and beyond kenny phillips and dre moore?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Rookie

Thank you for the reply It's good to see an active Head Coach 09 forum that gives players new techniques to try out.

In regards to the 2008 draft, I always (can't stress that enough) go for Keith Rivers. Usually you have to grab the Ravens pick at 1:8 or earlier to get him, but he is the best Left Outside Linebacker for this system. He blitzes well, and he has the speed and motor to stop the run on his side of the field. What I don't see a lot from him are interceptions, but that doesn't bother me as I don't often leave him in coverage (and I hardly run any zone coverage).

Other than Rivers, I go for Athya Rubin. I've never tried moving him to Defensive End in this system like I have with Dre Moore, but I've had success with him at DT.

I would also imagine that Craig Steltz would be a good pickup for a team hurting for that second SS position, though I find it hard to imagine that he would ever be the best player for that spot. I haven't ever given him a shot, though, so I'd be interested to hear if you have any success with him.

A guy that I think would be a great option (but again, I've never tried him) is Calais Campbell. He would be the perfect combination of Run Stopper/Pass Rusher for that LE position in the "over" alignment. Running the "Run Stopper" philosophy would mess with his potential though, so you might look at using "Prototype" for your Defensive Ends if you pick him up.

As a side note, if you are looking for a decent Middle Linebacker because you don't have one that fits the philosophy, I try to pick up Jeremy Leman who won't ever be the best, but will certainly get you to the next draft class for you to pick someone else up. He isn't a beast, but he will do the job.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head. I usually try to pick up a few Free Agents (Like Nnamdi Asmougha if he is there, and Eugene Wilson) if you have the cap space, because you need those established guys to build your team around. Also, don't skip out on Juran Riley if you get the Jack English path. He will develop into one of the best Ballhawks in the game.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind. I don't know if I can get Keith Rivers without destroying my draft picks for next year, but I'll see what can be done.

I only got a week or two into free agency last night. Not sure when I'll get to play next (my newborn throws my gaming time way down the priority list).

I'm playing the Panthers, and emptied out a lot of the benchwarmers and busts-with-large-contracts to clear up some cap space on day one, then picked up Asante Samuel, Nnamdi Asmougha, and Eugene Wilson. Pricey, but I've got the cap room (and then some). Still got like 42million left for this year. Expensive, to be sure, but I've got my backfield covered for half the next decade aside from the key SS positions (and kenny phillips is on my shortlist for that).

I'm very familiar with the english draft, so I'm actually hoping to get a different one this time around. I'd kind of like to try the Zazzelli draft, as it is the only one I've never done.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

One guy who at ss can be good and can also be less expensive due to a lower overall is tom zbikowski from notre dame. he has 95 speed and makes at 92 power and despite the commentary is a great.athlete. his coverage is only average but with Detroit i had him make 7 picks in 4 games before i starting over cause i wanted to try a different path
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

I notice you only have listed English path players and 2008 players on the list you recommend. It might be a struggle to find safeties who can blitz and cover if you're not doing the English path-and you need 2 for the college defenses.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

Another option for the safety spots would be a top end coverage olb . someone like Keith rivers, derrick Johnson, devin mayo , mack Jackson, etc. could be great. someone like saver adibi or phillip wheeler could work in a pinch. lots of these ls have over 90 speed, good coverage skills and can blitz
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
I'm playing the Panthers, and emptied out a lot of the benchwarmers and busts-with-large-contracts to clear up some cap space on day one, then picked up Asante Samuel, Nnamdi Asmougha, and Eugene Wilson. Pricey, but I've got the cap room (and then some). Still got like 42million left for this year. Expensive, to be sure, but I've got my backfield covered for half the next decade aside from the key SS positions (and kenny phillips is on my shortlist for that).
Those are all great pickups! What many people don't realize is that Eugene Wilson is rated at 90 Man Coverage, so he makes a viable starting CB as well. I didn't add him to my recommendations because I've really never tried him at that position. He actually gets around 10 picks a year for me from the FS spot, though.

Quote:
One guy who at ss can be good and can also be less expensive due to a lower overall is tom zbikowski from notre dame. he has 95 speed and makes at 92 power and despite the commentary is a great.athlete. his coverage is only average but with Detroit i had him make 7 picks in 4 games before i starting over cause i wanted to try a different path
Zbikowski is one of those guys that I haven't ever tested. When I've scouted him, he hasn't appealed to me as a long term player to warrant drafting him at the late 2nd or early 3rd that he tends to get taken. I think Steltz is a better player for the spot, bodes well for the long term, and he's available later (5th or 6th round in most cases). It would be interesting to give Zbikowski a chance though. I may look into doing that.

Quote:
I notice you only have listed English path players and 2008 players on the list you recommend. It might be a struggle to find safeties who can blitz and cover if you're not doing the English path-and you need 2 for the college defenses.
I've only ever done the Jack English path. Given that I play all of my games through without simming or SuperSimming, it ends up taking me around 2-3 weeks to complete a season. I also tend to have A.D.D. when it comes to this game, and my intrigue gets the best of me so I start a new career and try different a different combination. Case in point, tonight I started a career with the Rams where I took Darren McFadden at 1:2 and Kenny Philips at 1:30. It's the first time I've ever skipped over Keith Rivers, and that worries me. All the same, I think that there are enough guys out there who are available to play the SS spots if you draft them appropriately. The biggest example is J.J. Collins. That guy is a monster.

Quote:
Another option for the safety spots would be a top end coverage olb . someone like Keith rivers, derrick Johnson, devin mayo , mack Jackson, etc. could be great. someone like saver adibi or phillip wheeler could work in a pinch. lots of these ls have over 90 speed, good coverage skills and can blitz
I have considered doing this in the past, but you can't permanently change their position. The only way to really do this is in the Depth Chart. Now, I have created a few plays where I put a guy like Dexter Knox out there at a SS spot and have had success with that. I still feel compelled to pick up guys that are designed specifically for that position, though. They are out there, even if you have to trade for them. All the same, I like this suggestion and would definitely recommend it if needed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »