Home

Running Backs

This is a discussion on Running Backs within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Running Backs

What attributes contribute to a running backs ability to run straight ahead and have defenders bounce off him? Trucking? Toughness? Strength? Think of a Larry Czonka, or a Mike Alstott type of player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Rookie

AnchiKai2's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Running Backs

IMO, I see ball carrier vision and trucking as the first two. I also think you have to edit the sliders to give the running game an authentic look to it. Too many runners bounce outside when a straight ahead lane opens up.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Probably strenth and trucking would be what I would look for. Vision is good, but sometimes it seems to work a little weird when, as has been said, ball carriers try to bounce plays too much. I seem to get more of that with speed/agility guys though. Toughness is more about how a player stays on the field or recovers when injured I think. Not completely sure, but I think it's geared more towards how much punishment the back can take as far as not coming off the field when he gets dinged goes. They tend to get better as they build playbook knowledge too. RB's with low knowledge will misread the holes and such more.

You can edit the sliders as has been suggested, or you can buy up coaching skills for the running game and it will do the same thing, albeit slowly. I never use sliders and have had a lot of sucess running the ball, but without sliders it comes down to coaching skills and the players. I've had certain running backs that just would not bounce the ball outside nearly as much as others. It's kind of like how some QB's just tend to run more while others very rarely do.

The best way to track what skills count would be to set your philosophy to Power Back, then go to the roster and look at the highest rated players in the league. Go down that list and look at the backs individual attributes and you should start to see a pattern as to what skills consistantly have the highest number.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Yeah I've had the most success with high trucking and speed.

I agree with using the "power back" philosophy; that's the best way to find a good running back (IMO).
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

my number 1 priority is carry. i have Leron James who has it at 97 atm, and he fumbles throughout the season despite hc/oc/rbc having the special skills to carry. when i have 3rd string who has 70 it gets horrid. i can live with 3 yards per carry as long as whoever doesnt fumble. i use ebons sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »