Home

Possibility of making a New Dynasty thread...need team choosing help.

This is a discussion on Possibility of making a New Dynasty thread...need team choosing help. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1
Possibility of making a New Dynasty thread...need team choosing help.

Ok guys I have been inspired after reading many of these Dynasty Threads on here. I know the Raiders, Chiefs and Dolphins all seem to have them and I would like to do one but I need to know the following.

1. Which team should I choose?
2. Which "House Rules" should I live by? If any....I am not by anymeans a buff at this.
3. Who will actually read this and follow along?

And I will use the same sliders that Raiders - Russell Rulz! is currently using because I like how those sliders work out. (I have used them in the past.) Also I am not planning on changing the Draft Path, so whichever I am given I will run with. I remember the Jack English path gave me problems last time through so I am hoping I don't get that one. I have too many studs and spent too much money.....damn that cap hell. Anyways I would love to hear which team(s) you guys think I should start with. As I said I don't want to do one with the Raiders, Dolphins or Chiefs since they seem to be the ones everyone uses. I currently have a few I am doing but I am looking to actually care about the Dynasty so something like this might give me reason to do so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Pro

lastlastlast's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Possibility of making a New Dynasty thread...need team choosing help.

If you want to dominate early, Tampa/NE/Indy
If you want to rebuild, Detroit would be good for that

House rules depend on how experienced you are.

I will read and follow along

NFL Head Coach 09 (X360/PS3)
Fortnite (PS5/PC)
MLB 22 The Show (PS5/XSX)
Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

I would really recommend you to use house rules that makes the dyansty as realistic as possible. Dont trade away 30+ players for a top 5 pick, dont trade down 3/4+ times on draft day, dont use draft guides, etc.

As long as you play it out realisticly, and use an ok layout, I will follow no mather what team you chose.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

The game (and the strategy guide) does a pretty good job of explaining what kind of situation each team is in, and where they need help in order to become a winning team.

I've done the steelers a couple times. they're almost as easy as colts/pats.

I did the falcons once. Not that hard since you have so much cap room to work with.

I did the panthers twice. they're virtually worthless to start with. you can rebuild them into whatever you wish.

I tried the redskins once but didn't get very far. they have some talent but the team is a mess in a number of different ways. interesting challenge.

I'm currently still working on my dolphins franchise (which you may or may not have read). it's by far my favorite franchise ever, since it's the first one where I think I -finally- know what I'm doing and what the results of my choices really are.

I like to recommend redskins to the people looking for a challenge. the team is a mess, and the NFC east can be brutal, but there are ways to turn them into a winning team nonetheless.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I recently started a chise with the chiefs myself and after drafting decided to switch to Lions instead... really glad i did now. If you use the Lions and don't do the 08' draft over they are a team with talent on both sides of the ball that can do well no matter what you want to do. Also the salary cap isn't outrageously one sided... there is money available but not so much to take away the challenge. As a bonus you have Megatron and well he's a freakin beast! Good luck and hope to follow u soon!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1

Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys.

I have indeed started following the Dolphins Dynasty. Looks solid so far. I will let you guys know that if I do this I am a big Draft Day trader and like to trade down and get future picks. So its possible I might do that often. I usually look at who is on the board and who I have targeted. If I have wiggle room I will trade down. I do like to stockpile picks and usually have 10-15 DPs in each draft. Most times I will draft like 5-10 players a draft and trade the rest to get future picks. I am looking for a relative challenge but nothing too crazy. I looked over the rosters and haven't seen anything jump out at me yet. I am looking at finding a team with a good OC and terrible DC and possibly a solid GM as I like to be ahead of the curve when it comes to scouting and signing players to as little contracts as possible. I LOWBALL all the time and usually get the players to resign.

I am planning on running the 3-3-4 Mustang so the Defensive players will more then likely not fit my scheme no matter what team I decide on. When it comes to Offense I am just going to let the OC run it so I will run with the default PB unless its terrible.

A question for starting out....what skills/special skills do you recommend starting with? I usually get the Ambition special skill and then plug the rest into either Performance and Physical Development skills. I have tried Playcall LVL 4 and Chemistry LVL4 but I felt like I was behind the 8-ball starting out. What do you guys recommend for this?

I am thinking I will run with either the Seahawks or the Jets. They Jets have the D players that should transition well into the 3-3-4 Mustang but they need help almost everywhere else. Favre is retiring so I need a QB. The Seahawks have no run game and Hasselbeck is getting old plus the D won't transition well into the 3-3-4 Mustang PB.

Another thing to ask. What should I do for the philosophies of the Offensive positions? I usually go with QB Field General, HB Balanced, HB Balanced, WR Quick/Route Running, Playmaker TEs and Zone Blocking OL. Is there any changes I should make to that? I love playbooks with good running and a solid quick passing game.

Ok look forward to hearing back from you guys. I can't wait to start this off.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudescrew

I have indeed started following the Dolphins Dynasty. Looks solid so far. I will let you guys know that if I do this I am a big Draft Day trader and like to trade down and get future picks. So its possible I might do that often. I usually look at who is on the board and who I have targeted. If I have wiggle room I will trade down. I do like to stockpile picks and usually have 10-15 DPs in each draft. Most times I will draft like 5-10 players a draft and trade the rest to get future picks. I am looking for a relative challenge but nothing too crazy. I looked over the rosters and haven't seen anything jump out at me yet. I am looking at finding a team with a good OC and terrible DC and possibly a solid GM as I like to be ahead of the curve when it comes to scouting and signing players to as little contracts as possible. I LOWBALL all the time and usually get the players to resign.

I am planning on running the 3-3-4 Mustang so the Defensive players will more then likely not fit my scheme no matter what team I decide on. When it comes to Offense I am just going to let the OC run it so I will run with the default PB unless its terrible.

A question for starting out....what skills/special skills do you recommend starting with? I usually get the Ambition special skill and then plug the rest into either Performance and Physical Development skills. I have tried Playcall LVL 4 and Chemistry LVL4 but I felt like I was behind the 8-ball starting out. What do you guys recommend for this?

I am thinking I will run with either the Seahawks or the Jets. They Jets have the D players that should transition well into the 3-3-4 Mustang but they need help almost everywhere else. Favre is retiring so I need a QB. The Seahawks have no run game and Hasselbeck is getting old plus the D won't transition well into the 3-3-4 Mustang PB.

Another thing to ask. What should I do for the philosophies of the Offensive positions? I usually go with QB Field General, HB Balanced, HB Balanced, WR Quick/Route Running, Playmaker TEs and Zone Blocking OL. Is there any changes I should make to that? I love playbooks with good running and a solid quick passing game.

Well, first, decide on a team. I have tons of Lions experiences if you plan on playing as them. I can't persuade you to. PB could be Pats Air Strike or
Steelers Smashmouth offense and do whatever you want with the Mustang 3-3-4. Your philosophies are set. now, decide on your team.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudescrew

Playcall is really only good if you sim the game. if you play the game yourself aand call the plays, it's pretty much a waste. If you sim though, it is essential. I never touch Chemistry myself. I usually put get to 3 in performance, and then just fill in points where I need to. If I have young cornerbacks who need to grow, I'll put points there in develompment. If my corners are pretty much close to their max already, I don;t bother and put those points in elsewhere.

Also, if you have a high level DC, and a very low level OC, it's better to put points into the offense to pick up the slack. So basically, I just put points where they need to go most. Also, some positions progress more than others on their own. A QB or a RB seems to pretty much progress regardless of your skills because they have statistics that actually propel them. CB's and Safties tend to need more of a boost from coaching points, as do OL. Probably because the stats they get aren't always as easily measured.

Also, if you use sliders, getting anything over the first rank in Special Skills will eventually make you pretty near unbeatable. The sliders can help even things out in the beginning, but as you progress, they start to stack things in your favor if you don;t limit how you build your coach. If you don;t use sliders, the first few seasons while you level your coach and players up to match other teams will be harder, but you once your stats start to build, you'll Start getting better and better. So if you want to be competetive right off the bat regardless of your team talent, use sliders. If you want to have to build a team from the cellar up to a contender, and want to have a few rough seasons until then, don;t use sliders. I myself don;t use sliders because it's more satisfying to me to build a team up, go through a couple rough years, and then start making the playoffs and eventually making Super Bowl runs. But that's all strictly personal choice again.

As to what team, it depends probably on what you want. The Jets would be a bigger challange because they play the Patriots twice a year. The Seahawks don't really have anybody in their division worth much anyway, so it would be easier to win that division. if you stock as many draft picks as you say, the actual roster shouldn;t make much difference. In a couple years you will have completely remade either team anyway. So I'd suggest just deciding on where you want a tougher, or an easier route to the playoffs and pick from there. One thing to not about the Jets though. They have a very good start for an O-Line already in place, so if you like to run a lot, they will help you run earlier in your career.

As to offensive philosophies, well, ite depends. If you run a zone blocking playbook, the that would be a good pick for your OL. I typically go ballanced right down the line. I want to know my players are balance enough to work in any situation. Setting a LT to Pass blocking could make you wind up with a 95 overall LT who can't run block at all because the game puts most of the emphasis on pass blocking to determine the ratings. If you run a lot, and don;t have your FB catching many passes, set thet to blocking to find better blockers.

A couple things to watch out for. Speed Recievers is a completely misleading philosophy. Sure, you can find the burners, but a lot of those who will show as 90+ rated recievers will be fast guys who can't catch to save their life. If you like a lot of quick, shot passes, I'd go with the route running or balance philosophy. Also, stay away from the Engulfer OL philosophy. It's pretty much just based on Strength, and you'll wind up with LT's who have oustanding ratings who can't pass block to save their life.

So basically, choose your team, then your playbook, and work from there I would say. In my experience though, ballanced tends to work best for most offensive positions except maybe FB and QB. I typically go with Field General for QB myself, or if not, Pure Passer.

One thing you can do btw, is change your philosophies based on your needs. If you have a couple smaller,quick recievers already on your team and want a big red zone target to add to that, in the offseason change your philosophy to Tall/ Red Zone Threat to help you find that. The Philosophies are pretty much there to help you rate a player based on what you need. If you have one very good quick, route running WR, and one slower, tall possession reciever, then based on whatever philosophy you have active one will be high rated and the other will be lower rated. But they will both continue to play and perfrom according to their individual rating anyway, so it really doesn't make that much difference once you have found and signed the players you want. In my current franchise, I have a low rated WR who is my deep threat and does a great job at it, but because my philisophy is set to something else, his overall rating doesntt reflect what he actually does on the field. By the same token, I have a power back for short yardage situations, but because he's not fast, agile etc, he's not high rated. But he gets the job I got him for done.

There are a ton of ways to build your team. Just picture what you want the team to look like, and build each position accordingly is my advice.

Sorry for the wall of text. I hope some of it helps you out though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »