Home

How do you improve a players attributes?

This is a discussion on How do you improve a players attributes? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Banned

RoDogz85's Arena

OVR: 1
How do you improve a players attributes?

What is the best/fastest way to improve a players attributes? Eg. I have a rookie QB whom I signed. His attributes are (followed by max potential) THROW POWER 78/88 ACCURACY 60\97 AWARENESS 27/97. He is 3rd on the depth chart. How can I improve his attributes quickly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: How do you improve a players attributes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDogz85
What is the best/fastest way to improve a players attributes? Eg. I have a rookie QB whom I signed. His attributes are (followed by max potential) THROW POWER 78/88 ACCURACY 60\97 AWARENESS 27/97. He is 3rd on the depth chart. How can I improve his attributes quickly?
Development, development, development. First-you won't increase his attributes very quickly if he's 3rd on the depth chart-make him the starter. 2nd-focus on intangibles. Get QB Int to level 3 with your HC-make it a focus with your other coaches as well. 3rd-once you've got a handle on QB intangibles-put some points into the training skills. Your goal will be to get Innovator with your HC and coordinators-it will help advance your skills more quickly.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

The tl;dr version of mrs' excellent advice:
Develop your coaches.
Play your player - a lot.
Live with his mistakes until he's good.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

to expand a tiny bit, know what that qb(or any player for that matter) does well.

For example, Darius pryor is a first round pick so he's already good, but if you want to develop him faster, you use plays he seems to favor or do well on. In this case, pryor in my opinion is the BEST vertical passer(maybe in the whole game). So you can run hail mary's on first down for 30-70 yards) or plays where 2 to 3 people are streaking and he's gonna find the right one more times than not.

But if you try to develop him by running short passes in a west coast offense focusing on outs and ins and screens and what not, his development will be longer as thats not his playing style.

Same goes for running backs. Some guys just arent fast enough to run pitches counters or draws(at least early in their career) so you just run up the middle and do the rest for diversity/to keep the opponent off guard. Some are the exact opposite though, where they have no inside vision or ability, but give them a pitch and they're off to the races.

TL;DR Call Plays that allow your players the best chance of success/production. Production will rise your attributes pretty fast, especially once you follow the other advice already given by others here.

Ps, cant stress enough what they said about KEEPING SOMEONE IN(as the starter) AND DEALING WITH THEIR FLAWS. Some players can develop in less than a year if you use them a lot(great players in other words). MOST HOWEVER can and will take at LEAST 2 years to fully develop into who you thought they could be(key example CARL STEWART FB 2008 draft, takes almost 2 FULL SEASONS to truly start kicking into gear cause his learning is low).
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Rookie

In developing a player by playing him - does it matter what the player's actual position is versus the position you use him?

For example - if you use Mike Peterson / Jermichael Finley as a WR in the depth chart instead of their actual TE spot, will they still develop? I find TEs don't develop but these two guys can dominate as slot receivers during their first year or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Pro

I doubt that it matters where you play a player, as long as he plays and makes positive statistical contributions to his team. I've never done a double-blind study, but that would be my guess.

Naturally, it's easiest to do this when you actually play the games - as opposed to sim or supersim.

When you've played with Finley or Peterson in the slot, do they develop?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Rookie

I only play the games and not sim/supersim.

They do develop, but in the past I have always used them as my #2 TE also and run a fair number of 2 TE singleback sets, so I don't know which is causing the development. I just started a new career where Peterson only plays the slot (possibly moved up to #2 WR to increase production possibilities).

I can usually generate yearly numbers in the range of 45-600-8 or better during the first two years with them. But they never reach their full potential and I have replace them with better WR and TE options by year three.

It sucks you can't convert a TE to at WR.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Pro

Yes, it kinda does; OTOH, WR salaries are >>> than TE $$. So even though your depth chart hates you, your salary cap loves you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »