Home

Gms negotiating contracts

This is a discussion on Gms negotiating contracts within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Gms negotiating contracts

go with the bengals. gotta vs the steelers and ravens twice a year each, sometimes in the playoffs too. That or the texans...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

Tough call!! Ugh...I can see where I'll have to really look at rosters since I'll be more "stuck" with guys than ever.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Rookie

thoro_headz's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurabolt127
How much control are you giving up with regards to coaches? I intend to really make it as close to real as I can, like I've posted before about how rookie head coaches don't ever get true GM powers when they're starting out, but I've never really seen GMs exercise control over the coach's staff. (except the Fred Biletnikoff clause with the Raiders all my life)
I've never seen assembling the coaching staff as part of the GMs responsibility. I hire/fire coaches and deal with any hits to my approval if the owner disagrees.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Rookie

thoro_headz's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Yatch
go with the bengals. gotta vs the steelers and ravens twice a year each, sometimes in the playoffs too. That or the texans...
In my experience, neither the Steelers nor Ravens are very good when they are controlled by the CPU. If you start in the preseason, the Ravens end up starting Kyle Boller because Flacco is so awful in this game. Both teams have ageing rosters and have difficulty keeping their veterans on the field. Unlike human control, the CPU does not manage substitutions in a way to keep those players healthy.

The worst part of letting the CPU control either team is the play-calling responsibilities. In Pittsburgh, Tomlin calls the defense instead of LeBeau. In Baltimore, I believe that Harbaugh calls the offense instead of Cameron.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Started one up this afternoon, as legit as I could be. Gave as much power to the GM as I could, left coach control in the hands of the coach, but gave up all the power I could on GM hiring. Again, a rookie coach doesn't get to fire his GM. lol I tried to be logical with the franchise tag and RFA since the GM isn't able to put his input in...I tagged Jordan Gross and put low tenders on one of my guards, let the guard walk.

I didn't make roster moves or sign free agency during the period unless it would achieve an owner's goal. He had three positions he wanted me to make sure to get an 85 at. Didn't add anyone to the trade block unless it was to help achieve the owner's goal and whoever the GM had on there when it started the game I left on there.

Drafted whoever they told me to, unless it was beyond stupid in which case I vetoed it and took the highest rated player left on my draft board. One of the few times I actually went through and reordered my draft board! (This happened early because I had DeAngelo Williams (82pot), they had me trade for Kenny Watson (82 pot) and then wanted me to use my 2 3rd round picks on Ray Rice and Steve Slaton. Later they wanted me to use my 2 6th round picks on Choice and Torain) what the heck, right?

I considered it a rebuilding year of sorts and had my GM philo set to "trade down" because it makes sense to add picks. So I made sure to trade down a little. I think I picked up a 3 and 6 this year and a couple late next year. Down the road, when the team is contending I'll slide that philo over to neutral and then to trade up.

Anyhow, I ended up with Mike Jenkins, Quentin Groves, Harry Douglass, A. Rubin, T. Choice, R Torain (I let them have their way on that one, figured Watson was old and I wanted 4 backs anyway), and Eric Young. I grabbed who I wanted in UDFA (figured the GM might have tossed the Coach a bone and said grab a few guys you want) Ended up with a few backups, grabbed a couple from the Carolinas 'cause you usually see a couple local projects get invited. Didn't use "past knowledge" to grab guys - went for local guys or a position I needed help with still.

I decided to cut all the players they brought in off the street that were not real (I hate finding a 88 rated running back off the street - too unrealistic)

So, I'm plugging along, making sure to hit all my goals, even trading for a 32 year old linebacker, etc.. and then... the game froze while I'm adding my 10 plays... AND I didn't save it. I weep.

So, tomorrow I'm going to give it a go again, though probably not with Carolina. I liked the idea of them because of the mix of older talent and holes on the team to manage, but...I'm just not feeling it.

But, it gave me a better feel for things to do to make it feel like a real NFL situation where the GM holds all the cards and the rookie coach has to deal with it and which things the game lets me delegate and not. I've done I can't even count how many franchises, but I've never not let myself control everything,all the GM stuff too, and I've never tried to hit all my goals, achievement or no. LOL

So, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #14
Banned

this is why I always save before the draft and/or individual workouts! But yea man, its happened to all of us. Sucks but at least you had a trial run and realized you didnt wanna play as carolina?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

You know, I usually save often, not sure why I was so distracted this time and didn't do it. But you know how it is, got lots going on - kids, whatnot. Oh well. Won't make that mistake twice. I'll prob lean towards a team with a similar veteran/holes situation - try to find one I haven't used before or isn't used all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #16
Banned

redskins and raiders may be over done but they're really fun because they're more difficult, especially if you add in the rules you're gonna start with... Redskins have the only trainer who will become perfect most of the time. Has ambition and 555 capability on regular skills. Gary Quarterman if you wanna look for him after the first year for a different team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »