Home

A look at your coaches: What upgrades do.

This is a discussion on A look at your coaches: What upgrades do. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
A look at your coaches: What upgrades do.

I've always wanted a place where I could find what skills and special skills do. I decided that I would put all of my findings here, hopefully with the help of others.

Regular Skills:
Team Chemistry - Does exactly what it says it does. What the difference between a 1 and 5 is I am still unsure of. It is an important skill for all staff members.

Play call - This skill affects the plays called during simulation, super sim, and seems to affect the 'ask coach' feature during the game. If you call plays manually, it seems to have no effect. This skill is important if you sim, but only for the coaches that call plays according to your 'Playcall' philosophy. It is not something to invest in beyond your Coordinators and/or your Head Coach.

Strategy - The main selling point from what I can tell is that this skill gives you more available 'agendas' during games. Beyond that, I am not sure what it does. I am still unsure of whether or not your position coaches help in this, but I can tell that it does help if your Head Coach and Coordinators have a high level in this skill.

Performance - This is what many Head Coachers consider the most important skill. A level difference makes a huge difference, although it is not quantifiable. This is the skill I try to max out with all my coaches ASAP, and how I usually determine who stays and goes on my staff.

For the sake of saving space, I'll put Learning here. It is a important skill, as it increases that learning skill. As a rule, I find that players who have a learning skill below 50 never learn enough play book to see the field regularly. Anything above 80 is very good, while 90+ is great. It is hard to quantify how different levels of learning development impact the learning development, but it does help (This is also true for physical and intangible development).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Next, let's take a look at physical development. There are 10 different skills that can be developed, each will be looked at individual. I consider physical less important than intangibles, as most players I find need less physical development tab. Intangible development; however there are players that are the opposite.

This is format I will use:
What the skill is.
Which staff members can get it.
What it does/What it affects.

QB Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Quaterback Coach
This skill affects the physical development of all Quarterbacks
These skills include:
Throw Power
Speed
Acceleration
Agility
Strength

RB Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Running Backs Coach
This skill affects the physical development of all Halfbacks and Fullbacks. These skills include:
Speed
Acceleration
Agility
Strength
Stiff arm
Spin move
Juke move
Run block Strength
Pass block Strength

WR Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Wide Receiver coach
This skill affects the physical development of Wide Receivers, including:
Speed
Acceleration
Agility
Jump
Stiff arm
Spin move
Juke move

TE Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Wide receiver Coach
One thing that should be noted about TE development, it is well documented that Tight Ends don't develop at the pace other positions do. This makes the development skills for Tight Ends obsolete in my mind. This skill affects the physical development of all TEs, including:
Speed
Acceleration
Agility
Jump
Stiff arm
Spin move
June move
Run block Strength
Pass block Strength

OL Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, OLine Coach
Thus skill affects physical development for all OTackles, OGuards, and Centers, including:
Run Block Strength
Pass Block Strength
Strength
Speed
Acceleration
Agility

DL Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, DLine Coach
This skill affects the the Physical Development of all Defensive Ends and Defensive Tackles, including:
Hit Power
Strength
Speed
Acceleration
Agility

LB Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, LB Coach
This skill affects the physical development of all linebackers, including:
Hit Power
Strength
Speed
Acceleration
Agility

DB Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, DB Coach
This skill affects the physical development of all Cornerbacks and Safeties, including:
Speed
Acceleration
Agility
Strength
Hit Power
Maybe Press, not sure

K/P Physical Development
Available to Head Coach, STCoordinator
These skills affect the Physical development of Kickers and Punters (there are separate skills for both Kicker and Punter). However, these are also well documented as not working correctly, much like TE development. These skills affect the physical development of all kickers and punters, including:
Kick Power
Speed
Acceleration
Agility
Strength

Again, I find these skills to be less important than intangible development, as they affect less skills, and most players are physically ready for the NFL. Not all are, and these skills are important. Intangibles next.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: A look at your coaches: What upgrades do.

As far as I can tell, the development skills only affect the speed at which your players will develop.

The rating of Team Chemistry determines the likelihood of players retiring, not sure if it does anything else.

Strategy-it's been mentioned your coaches will occasionally be able to challenge plays with a high enough Strategy.

Performance, Play Call, Strategy and the position based special skills affect gameplay, the rest of the skills won't. You determine what is important.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »