Home

Choosing a playbook

This is a discussion on Choosing a playbook within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Choosing a playbook

I know a lot of people have put their two cents in on this subject. but I have some small insights that will help in a HUGE way. Little truths Ive found that help when determining what playbook to start with and how to build it to its full potential.

First off, you should always pick a base playbook that suits what you want as your bread and butter. if you want to run a lot, you need to pick a playbook that hands off 25+ times to the feature back and uses the kinds of runs you want to feature. That means you want inside outside runs for slower backs, pitches counters and draws for faster backs(and heavy passing playbooks for draws).

Secondly, Understand there's gonna be a PLETHORA of Play actions, standard passes and shotguns to steal. It will be MUCH RARER to find screens and quick passes that are effective. That means if you ever plan on using them in any amount more than rarely, you NEED to pick a playbook that has at LEAST 5 of each(screens and quick passes). The more the better.

Same goes for running plays. You will have tons of inside runs to steal throughout your career(against the better running teams at least). It is much rarer to get pitches, counters, and outside runs. That means if you want an outside running(stretch plays) playbook, you need to start with one like the colts texans or broncos. Again, make sure the playbook you choose has at least 5 of each of these because they will be harder to make and steal than basic inside runs.

If you want the option, you have to choose a college playbook that has the version you're looking for. it will be difficult to sign a college coach that will add them to your playbook or to steal them from ones that become head coaches unless they're in your division.

Third, when stealing plays, dont be TOO DIVERSE. Always know your scheme and how you want your players to play. Makes sure the play you steal fits your rosters capabilities and isnt too far from what they normally do(IE center fielder fs are good at cover 1 and cover 3 so steal a lot of those kinds of plays where he'll cover a zone over the middle, he wont be as good at cover 2 because its opposite of what he normally does).

As soon as you steal a play similar to one of your old ones, delete your own play and keep the new one you just stole. The longer you keep plays in this game, the more you use them(especially your coordinators and your base play book), the less they stay successful unless used at the proper times.

Anyone else who wants to add to this is more than welcome too, just be mindful of what you're adding as this should be a tool to help the newer players...

Last edited by Byron Yatch; 09-07-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Choosing a playbook

the problem with customization is no room for growth, its already as good as it should ever need to be...

Id rather build a crappy playbook to its full potential(stealing plays over 15 years) than have every money play i want from the start... feels cheap to me. im in the biz of adding difficulty and parody(variety). I hate doing the same thing with the same plays and the same philosophies. Every career is as completely different as possible for me. Just my opinion I could be wrong... Enjoy the game how you want.

If you arent gonna add to how people should choose their base playbook and what plays to add when stealing(how to choose), just make a topic for custom playbooks. This one is JUST for choosing your base playbook and growing it over your career. I know ebon says you should create your own. I just dont think that adds difficulty, i think it makes it easier. Thats not the path I wish to head down anymore. Ive had 10 perfect seasons in a row before, now I want disturbing, UNNERVING difficulty...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »