Home

Patriot's Franchise - A Realistic Approach II

This is a discussion on Patriot's Franchise - A Realistic Approach II within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Patriot's Franchise - A Realistic Approach II

I noticed in your first post that you signed Serna. I signed him as a FA during my first season, and I have Gostkowski as well. Serna is rated 97 Kicking power and 85 accuracy. Now, I know the game wants me to keep Gostkowski rather than go with Serna, but I like Serna better, especially since his progress shows a 90 accuracy in the future. Gostkowski, according to progress, will get to 89 power and 92 accuracy.

I have been deactivating Gostkowski and going with Serna. On a kickoff, Serna kicked it out of bounds, penalty to 40 yd. line. Really? 85 accuracy and he can't kick it straight? Next, he missed a FG of less than 35 yards.

Now we get to the real biggie, Pro Bowl selection that I think shows the game is scripted. I switched from Maroney to Chris Johnson at HB because Johnson has an 80 catch rating and Maroney wasn't doing well running the ball. It was downright curious to see how well CPU teams blocked for their guy and how my team blocked for Maroney. Anyway, Chris Johnson made the Pro Bowl! How in the world does he make the Pro Bowl? He had 56 rushing attempts for 152 yards. He had 22 catches for 194 yards.

The GM or whoever he is tells me to fire my running backs coach, who is rated 43. Well, I figure he knows so I fire the guy. and he tells me to also fire another position coach. So, with all coach hire philosophy set to give up no control, two coaches get hired without my approval. In fact, I dismissed bidding on one guy who I knew was rated 25. I was like, why hire a guy rated 25 after firing a guy rated 43? Both coaches got hired without my knowledge, must have been done in secret, behind closed doors

Last edited by Cavicchi; 10-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
MVP

I forgot to add that Chris Johnson was originally set to be my number one Punt and Kick returner. However, the CPU would usually put in my number 2 KR, Randy Moss! I made Moss the second choice for KR figuring CPU wouldn't put him in at the risk of him getting hurt. I wanted Chris Johnson to do the kick returns, but the game wouldn't let him do more than one! Why?! He wasn't being used as number 1 or 2 RB when he was set for returns. I believe the reason is CPU did not want CJ to do well in returns making scoring for me easier.

One more thing, I do not see CJ's speed of 99 looking any different than Maroney after getting the hand off. Ooh, there is so much more, but I'll restrain myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

I will try my best to answer your questions:

Both Serna and Gostkowski have accuracy issues; in fact, all kickers can often kick extremely off every once in a while. It is realistic in that sense and icing the kicker works wonders in the game. For example, Vinatieri will kick like an idiot and has very low kick power, but don't ice him or he will get better.

As per the coaches, if there are no available coaches left for position after you dismiss one or two, the CPU will automatically select one because you can't have a vacancy going into the off-season. In other words, if you fire a RB coach, and you only have 2 in the market other than him, and you skip both, there are no other options you can choose from and so the CPU hires one of the ones you skipped over. This happens a lot if you went deep into the playoffs.

As per Chris Johnson, how are his punt return numbers? If he had about 2 or more return TD's he likely made the pro bowl as a returner, not a HB.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DassTheBoss
I will try my best to answer your questions:

Both Serna and Gostkowski have accuracy issues; in fact, all kickers can often kick extremely off every once in a while. It is realistic in that sense and icing the kicker works wonders in the game. For example, Vinatieri will kick like an idiot and has very low kick power, but don't ice him or he will get better.

As per the coaches, if there are no available coaches left for position after you dismiss one or two, the CPU will automatically select one because you can't have a vacancy going into the off-season. In other words, if you fire a RB coach, and you only have 2 in the market other than him, and you skip both, there are no other options you can choose from and so the CPU hires one of the ones you skipped over. This happens a lot if you went deep into the playoffs.

As per Chris Johnson, how are his punt return numbers? If he had about 2 or more return TD's he likely made the pro bowl as a returner, not a HB.
Johnson was a returner for less than 7 games, and he did not have more than 1 return for a TD, if even that. There were other returners with better stats.

Serna was used for just 3 games, acquired as a FA. There was just one time during the season that a kickoff went out of bounds, and that was Serna, who in the game also missed a FG under 35 yards. Yes, it is possible, I know.

Are you saying this game represents realistic game play?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Rookie

In terms of realism, it all depends on how you play the game. If you call realistic plays, you should get realistic results.

Also, anyone know Enoka Oshinowo's personality?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
In terms of realism, it all depends on how you play the game. If you call realistic plays, you should get realistic results.

Also, anyone know Enoka Oshinowo's personality?
Let's take man coverage, Revis on a WR. Why is it Revis is not guarding their number 1 WR? I have seen that time and time again.

Next, Kick returns, and why is it my number 1 KR is not returning kicks? Why does the CPU choose to take my number 2 returner? When I wanted Chris Johnson to return kicks, he was not my number 1 or 2 HB.

The CPU can and will call audibles on offense and defense, but you can't call audibles period.

Realism? A WR rated 68 with catch rating of 63 and RR less than 60 catches 9 passes--and no drops! Who was guarding him? Mike Jenkins! Realism?

The game play is like the old Madden football game(s) from 2008, and that is realism?

The one great thing about this game is the franchise/career depth. Game play is a whole different story, in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
Rookie

I have never had a problem with the depth chart. Perhaps you might be experiencing it differently, but with Asomugha, he completely shuts down the opponent's top receiver, in man coverage.. with zone it is different. That is realistic in a sense as Asomugha was a beast in Oakland where he was made to Man but in Philly he was having trouble with zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
I have never had a problem with the depth chart. Perhaps you might be experiencing it differently, but with Asomugha, he completely shuts down the opponent's top receiver, in man coverage.. with zone it is different. That is realistic in a sense as Asomugha was a beast in Oakland where he was made to Man but in Philly he was having trouble with zone.
I understand you are speaking from your experience, but that doesn't correlate with mine. Chris Johnson was the number one kick returner and number 3 or 4 HB. Still, the CPU would at most let Johnson do one single kick return, and used Randy Moss for the others! I put Moss as number 2 kick returner out of frustration, and hoping the CPU would let Johnson do it.

Man coverage has been a joke as far as I'm concerned. The game has the Madden engine, 2008 I believe. So why would it play any differently than Madden?

I remember you writing that Merriman was signed for around 33 million 5 year contract. I had to pay him 5 years and 60 million plus bonus. I did try to sign him for 33 million but he wasn't interested.

I love the concept of this game, but game play leaves me wanting a lot more. I probably will continue playing this game even though Madden 13 now has Coach Mode, the same old Coach Mode, unfortunately. I would love to see QB scrambling and kicking done by players, not me. The point I'm making is even though I have criticized this game, the concept is extremely interesting and game play in Madden 13 isn't perfect either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »