Home

Help building a playbook

This is a discussion on Help building a playbook within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Help building a playbook

I don't know if I'm just missing something, but is there any way to choose new formations that aren't in the base playbook? I like the Sanders Army Run playbook, but I want to add some singleback and maryland I formations, but can't seem to figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Help building a playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevviejoe12
I don't know if I'm just missing something, but is there any way to choose new formations that aren't in the base playbook? I like the Sanders Army Run playbook, but I want to add some singleback and maryland I formations, but can't seem to figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.
You need to build a custom playbook. Choose a base playbook, then choose add by play type(not formation). Play type will allow you to add plays from all playbooks in the game.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Rookie

Okay, so you don't actually pick new formations out of list of them, but choose new plays that are from those formations, and that adds the formation to your playbook? I just want to make sure I understand it right. If I'm right in that thinking, what play(s) should I look for that would add those two formations to my playbook?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8

What I found is that if you don't have a particular formation in your 'By Formation' list, you need to go to the 'By Type' list and select just one play from the desired formation, then you can go back to your 'By Formation' list and it will be there and you can then select the plays you want from that formation.

This occurs whilst creating a custom playbook. However, I don't know if its just me or its the case, but it appears that not ALL plays are available, even when you create a playbook. Makes me think that some plays are tied to specific coaches themselves and thus locked unless you have them on your staff during a career.

And example of this is that the Colts have certain Cover 2 plays call "Dungy this" or "Dungy that". I personally can't find those plays when trying to create a custom defensive playbook. So it made me wonder whether those plays only belong to Dungy himself. I can't verify this any further, it's simply my observation. So if others have more definitive proof or disproof then please let me know.

Cheers.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Pro

For custom offensive playbooks, you can grab any pre-built play, regardless of formation. Just do "By Type," and they're all there. You're only limited to the number of plays you can add to your playbook.

However, for some reason, you can't do this with defensive playbooks. You're limited to a set a predetermined plays by formation. For instance, with a Tampa 2 defense, you'll have access to different Tampa 2 plays with the Bears D playbook than you would with the Chiefs D playbook (I could be wrong with this example). Another example is the Seahawks versus the Jaguars. Both use a 4-3 D, but the Seahawks have different variations of the 4-3 than what's available in the Jaguars D playbook.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Rookie

ShakaFlocka's Arena

OVR: 5

Everyone has given you the right answer here trev. The developers wanted to give us a playbook creator but it seems they just never got around to perfecting it. It's difficult, but with some time, you can build the playbook you desire.

You might be best suited to go into your career with Armys offense, then go into play creator inside your career to add the plays. That'd give you Armys true playbook with anything you want to add. Anything else is a pain in the bottom.

Good luck though. I'm always interested in guys who want to run the ball down opponents throats rather than throwing in this game.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

Another way to get different formations in your defensive playbook would be to steal the plays from the opposing team at the end of the game (D coordinator special skill). It may be tedious if you're looking for a specific play or formation, but it's an option nonetheless..
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Rookie

I want to thank everyone for all the help. I had spent the better part of my time trying to figure it out myself. After looking around, I kind of figured that there wasn't a way to simply add formations themselves, but I was hoping I was wrong and just was missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
What I found is that if you don't have a particular formation in your 'By Formation' list, you need to go to the 'By Type' list and select just one play from the desired formation, then you can go back to your 'By Formation' list and it will be there and you can then select the plays you want from that formation.

This occurs whilst creating a custom playbook. However, I don't know if its just me or its the case, but it appears that not ALL plays are available, even when you create a playbook. Makes me think that some plays are tied to specific coaches themselves and thus locked unless you have them on your staff during a career.

And example of this is that the Colts have certain Cover 2 plays call "Dungy this" or "Dungy that". I personally can't find those plays when trying to create a custom defensive playbook. So it made me wonder whether those plays only belong to Dungy himself. I can't verify this any further, it's simply my observation. So if others have more definitive proof or disproof then please let me know.

Cheers.
Yes, I completely agree. After searching through the plays over and over, I came to the same conclusion. Certain plays just weren't there, no matter what I looked under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakaFlocka
Everyone has given you the right answer here trev. The developers wanted to give us a playbook creator but it seems they just never got around to perfecting it. It's difficult, but with some time, you can build the playbook you desire.

You might be best suited to go into your career with Armys offense, then go into play creator inside your career to add the plays. That'd give you Armys true playbook with anything you want to add. Anything else is a pain in the bottom.

Good luck though. I'm always interested in guys who want to run the ball down opponents throats rather than throwing in this game.
Yeah, it took some time, but I slowly worked my way through the plays and built the playbook I wanted. At least to start out my career. I plan on adding other plays/formations through the games and creating my own, so hopefully I can get the full playbook I want. What can I say? While the passing game is extremely previlant, I've always preferred the old-school style. Hard-hitting defense and running the ball down their throats. I miss that kind of game in the NFL, and always focus more on that whenever I create my own playbook or gameplan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »