Home

All about game play

This is a discussion on All about game play within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 1
All about game play

After giving up on Madden 13, I went back to this game to continue my Career. First game in pre-season, Kevin Robinson catches a pass 5 yards in front of the CB but gets caught from behind. How does he get caught from behind with a 5 yard lead? Robinson, speed 93 Acc 91, CB had speed of 84 and 85 acc, game against the Vikings. This was first play on first series of downs.

Brady throws 3 interceptions. Tavaris Jackson had no interceptions. Why did Brady do so poorly? Well, for one thing he acted like a rookie missing wide open receivers and throwing into double and triple coverage. I created a HB angle pass play. So where does Brady throw the ball? Not to the HB, he throws it to a well covered WR--interception.

From what I see, you need to do what the CPU wants or else it isn't going anywhere. I have Leron James at HB with Chris Johnson as HB #2. CJ has a much better catch rating than LJ but CPU does not like CJ so Brady doesn't throw to him. I tried that play 5 times and Brady threw to him the only time he was covered, so the pass was not complete. CJ is the primary receiver, so why throw to anyone else when he's open?!

I created a number of pitches and sweeps for Leron James. When Chris Johnson was at HB and I called those plays, he gets tackled in the backfield! The tackler? ratings do not matter, if they did, CJ wouldn't have been tackled in the backfield.

Why is Tavaris Jackson throwing with better accuracy than Brady? Good question. Maybe I should trade Brady for Jackson

Madden is Madden and will be Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: All about game play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi

I don't get what you mean by this statement?

Also, maybe Brady is trying to get you fired.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

Quote:
After giving up on Madden 13, I went back to this game to continue my Career. First game in pre-season, Kevin Robinson catches a pass 5 yards in front of the CB but gets caught from behind. How does he get caught from behind with a 5 yard lead? Robinson, speed 93 Acc 91, CB had speed of 84 and 85 acc, game against the Vikings. This was first play on first series of downs.

Brady throws 3 interceptions. Tavaris Jackson had no interceptions. Why did Brady do so poorly? Well, for one thing he acted like a rookie missing wide open receivers and throwing into double and triple coverage. I created a HB angle pass play. So where does Brady throw the ball? Not to the HB, he throws it to a well covered WR--interception.

From what I see, you need to do what the CPU wants or else it isn't going anywhere. I have Leron James at HB with Chris Johnson as HB #2. CJ has a much better catch rating than LJ but CPU does not like CJ so Brady doesn't throw to him. I tried that play 5 times and Brady threw to him the only time he was covered, so the pass was not complete. CJ is the primary receiver, so why throw to anyone else when he's open?!

I created a number of pitches and sweeps for Leron James. When Chris Johnson was at HB and I called those plays, he gets tackled in the backfield! The tackler? ratings do not matter, if they did, CJ wouldn't have been tackled in the backfield.

Why is Tavaris Jackson throwing with better accuracy than Brady? Good question. Maybe I should trade Brady for Jackson

Hey man, I hear ya but you need to remember its Pre-Season AND your players need to re-learn plays. I am sure with the playbook change and the coaching changes it has an effect on the playbook knowledge. Also with that created play...its a NEW play. Naturally it will take a bit for Brady to get comfortable in it. I recommend running it 3 or 4 times a game in Pre-Season so it will be ready for the regular season and hopefully by then Brady will know the best way to use it. Its been like this for me as well. Its a new season and they have to relearn some plays. It happens. Best of luck to ya and don't give up. It WILL get better.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudescrew
Hey man, I hear ya but you need to remember its Pre-Season AND your players need to re-learn plays. I am sure with the playbook change and the coaching changes it has an effect on the playbook knowledge. Also with that created play...its a NEW play. Naturally it will take a bit for Brady to get comfortable in it. I recommend running it 3 or 4 times a game in Pre-Season so it will be ready for the regular season and hopefully by then Brady will know the best way to use it. Its been like this for me as well. Its a new season and they have to relearn some plays. It happens. Best of luck to ya and don't give up. It WILL get better.
The HB Angle is a created play from last season originally designed for Chris Johnson. so he and Brady should know it well.

Last night was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in a sports game. I had this newly created pitch left play that I ran, and I'm not kidding, at least 8 times. In all 8 times, Brady did not hand off/pitch to HB, he acted like an OL as if looking to block someone before falling forward. All eight times, and not once did he hand off/pitch to HB.

I challenged a play where the opposing team's WR clearly had one foot out of bounds. It comes back Challenge Overturned and play stands. I've seen that more than once.

Calvin Johnson gets a concussion in practice and is out 4-6 months! Now, I got Bellows in the first English draft. I assume the deal is Bellows must be Rookie of the year so CJ goes out to move Bellows to number 2 WR, Brandon Marshall is now number 1 based on OVR.

Of course, I'm notified of Calvin's injury after I promised the GM a Super Bowl this year.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

First, on the QBs, you said you created the play, so what is the play knowledge of the team on the ones where Brady isn't throwing well? That is very important.

Second, I too also have CJ2k and Leron James lol ... I'm Oakland though. I drafted CJ because of who he is in real life obviously...my first few games I was like wth??? He can't run worth crap...(and remember this is before the programmers knew who CJ was) but take a look at his BCV it is VERY low!! He has no vision, which was actually just confirmed in real life last week when someone was talking about his problems is because of his new OL. They are big, instead of agile, so the holes are not as pronounced. He needs to see the holes easily. I have had a couple 100+ games and he has rushed over 1000 in both of my seasons...but I plan on converting him to WR actually, even though it breaks my heart He's on my real life fantasy team again this year

Anyway, there are a LOT of factors in HC, it is not Madden if I'm interpreting your implication correctly. But, you are free to feel so and can stop playing HC at any time...or can you ... muwahhahahaha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

Man that sucks! But once again...its all about play knowledge. I have 3 rushing plays that I ran and master last year that I created and this new season in preseason they are unlearned. Cutler...who was my QB last year...would run the play and stand in one spot after he got the ball. Lucky for me the DL that would wrap him up would pull him for positive yardage. Its no good but it does happen.

Also try to get the special skill for Off-season play knowledge for your OC/DC. It will help. Also get it for yourself. Having all three with it will make you remember ALMOST all your plays. Just a fyi and something I learned the hard way as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

lol, I have Bellows also...ooo (twilight zone music)

But honestly, even with the problems HC has, yeah it's not perfect, even I will admit that, Madden isn't even in the same country,much less stadium as Head Coach for game play or immersion (except graphics) lol, oh but speaking of graphics, I had to laugh playing my M13 ccm the other night when I saw the same clones on the sidelines as we get in HC...I mean, I never thought I'd see that in a game 4 years after HC
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
MVP

CJ doesn't need lots of ball carrier vision running outside on sweeps and pitches. I rarely ever used him going at the DL. I have Leron James and he isn't tearing up the league at all, and you know he has good ball vision.

I don't get what you're saying, Slowey. This IS a Madden game, Madden engine. The game play is derived from a Madden engine, 2008 I believe, Madden 08.

I've watched how Brady throws, and believe me he can at numerous times look like some kid fresh out of college. The game is, I believe, scripted to a degree. You have a dynamite team and the game often makes it "seem" more competitive. Well, that is the impression I get. I got so sick of watching plays unfold that I went to supersim, and once in a while I'll call a few plays, but no more than 4-5 at most. My OC has all the skills with potential reached to maximum. Still, Brady throws at least one interception every game. How about the other team's QB? Nah, not even mediocre or rookie QBs do that bad for the most part.

Do you guys really think the game play in HC 09 is better than what's in Madden 08, 09, or 13?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »