Home

The Draft, Strategy, and Two Aspirin Please...

This is a discussion on The Draft, Strategy, and Two Aspirin Please... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: The Draft, Strategy, and Two Aspirin Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack1207
I Would Trade Vernon Davis For Picks And Go With Stewart And Goldman. Both Will Give You Max Production. Another Good Pick-up If You Feel You Need 3 TE's-Kevin Boss Is Always Productive, Reliable, And A Beast In this Game Everytime I Have Had Him.
I have tried trading Davis but no team seems interested. Last night I created a few more plays for Stewart. The guy has WR speed and could be used as a WR or even a HB. Right now I'll keep him at TE. If I can't keep LeRon James, then I would consider moving Stewart to HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
This is to address SloeyEZ. I'm not a big NFL fan so I fortunately haven't got enough knowledge to really find players not performing up to their 'real' levels too distracting.

But I will say that playing the game longer would make it feel less attached to the real world NFL. The beauty is that the draft classes are constant. You can build a world because you know who the gems are and who to look out for. Like jack English. Trying to see how he develops, etc etc.

I like the common draft classes the most really. It means everyone is kind of working in parallel rather than diverging.
You know who most of the gems are, but you still have to pick and sign them. There is lots of strategy going on. Now the one thing I'm not sure of is how signing players relates to AI integrity.

I signed Stewart in first round at pick 19. He kept asking for 5 million bonus and I had to give in, the rest is like 10 million over 5 years. Now, I signed Goldman for less than 500K a year and less than 1 mil bonus. TEs usually do not ask/get large contracts, so what's with Stewart?

I read somewhere how signing players after Pick 17 results in a much better salary situation. Well, 5 million bonus for a rookie TE?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I have tried trading Davis but no team seems interested. Last night I created a few more plays for Stewart. The guy has WR speed and could be used as a WR or even a HB. Right now I'll keep him at TE. If I can't keep LeRon James, then I would consider moving Stewart to HB.

You know who most of the gems are, but you still have to pick and sign them. There is lots of strategy going on. Now the one thing I'm not sure of is how signing players relates to AI integrity.

I signed Stewart in first round at pick 19. He kept asking for 5 million bonus and I had to give in, the rest is like 10 million over 5 years. Now, I signed Goldman for less than 500K a year and less than 1 mil bonus. TEs usually do not ask/get large contracts, so what's with Stewart?

I read somewhere how signing players after Pick 17 results in a much better salary situation. Well, 5 million bonus for a rookie TE?
check out his personality though. thats one of the great things about the ai, the different personalities make the ai treat signings differently...good or bad...at least every player isn't handled the same way
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
check out his personality though. thats one of the great things about the ai, the different personalities make the ai treat signings differently...good or bad...at least every player isn't handled the same way
I don't think that's it. When it came time for me to Franchise a player, my LG rated 73 was at over eight million! All the lowly rated players on the list were over 6 million. You know why? I say it's because the AI did not want me to sign any of them, wanted me to let them go. My honest opinion is the game cheats, and not just with contracts. Thus, I cheat in the draft, but the AI can get back at me by making me pay big for whoever I stole
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
I don't think that's it. When it came time for me to Franchise a player, my LG rated 73 was at over eight million! All the lowly rated players on the list were over 6 million. You know why? I say it's because the AI did not want me to sign any of them, wanted me to let them go. My honest opinion is the game cheats, and not just with contracts. Thus, I cheat in the draft, but the AI can get back at me by making me pay big for whoever I stole
Well, you can feel that way, I doubt any amount of debate between the two of us could decide anything short of some programmer saying "yes, we programmed the game so that desirable players were prohibitively expensive to sign, just to keep the game even"... lol, sorry I laugh just typing that, i would equally laugh at myself if we ever did find out that there was ai written specifically to keep human players from doing something.

I would suggest though, that a game that makes you feel like it's cheating against you is better than a game that is too predictable isn't?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
I thought franchising a player meant they got the average of the top five contracts at that position. So $8million a year for a LG franchised would be irrespective of his talent or overall ratings.

Unless you mean he was asking for an $8million contract normally, which is pretty absurd.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #14
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

Just a heads up when it comes to signing Draft Picks. NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER sign them to what they want. They WILL always sign package #1. I have NEVER found a guy who wouldn't. Never cave in, they will say this is my final offer or whatever but they will ALWAYS come back and will ALWAYS sign package #1 so hold your ground and don't give in.

Hope this helps those of you who just got into the game. There is NEVER a reason to offer a ton of money and incentives. The rookies will ALWAYS sign the lowest package.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudescrew
Just a heads up when it comes to signing Draft Picks. NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER sign them to what they want. They WILL always sign package #1. I have NEVER found a guy who wouldn't. Never cave in, they will say this is my final offer or whatever but they will ALWAYS come back and will ALWAYS sign package #1 so hold your ground and don't give in.

Hope this helps those of you who just got into the game. There is NEVER a reason to offer a ton of money and incentives. The rookies will ALWAYS sign the lowest package.
That's interesting. I consider myself pretty thrifty when it comes to rookie contracts, but i dont think i've ever had a 1st rounder settle for #1 package...but you do realize that the 1st package listed isn't #1 all the time right? Especially after you've made a few offers...it stops showing the low #s and may show package #15-27 for example, because that is the new range the player is willing to accept...just wondering if that is what you mean by always the #1 package...?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
That's interesting. I consider myself pretty thrifty when it comes to rookie contracts, but i dont think i've ever had a 1st rounder settle for #1 package...but you do realize that the 1st package listed isn't #1 all the time right? Especially after you've made a few offers...it stops showing the low #s and may show package #15-27 for example, because that is the new range the player is willing to accept...just wondering if that is what you mean by always the #1 package...?
Never seen that. Might be your GMs skill too. But I have NEVER signed a rookie to any deal besides the #1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »