Home

Martz Playbook + Vertical Passing = 500 yards per game

This is a discussion on Martz Playbook + Vertical Passing = 500 yards per game within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Martz Playbook + Vertical Passing = 500 yards per game

I'm back to using Ebon's sliders, because they're just how I'm used to the game working (used the for most of my time playing the game). I've found though that when combined with the Martz playbook and the vertical passing philosophy, your team turns into a passing powerhouse.

I did it with the bears in the jones draft path, and now the falcons in the english draft path. Joe Kain had back-to-back 7000 yard seasons for my bears, and Dane Morrow is well on his way, averaging between 400 and 500 yards a game. that's -average-. sometimes he does better. Granted, I've got quality receivers (Brandon Marshall, Roddy White, Jamarrion Bellows, and Drew Goldman at TE), but my O line is nothing to write home about, yet I'm putting up crazy numbers every game. The -least- amount of touchdowns that Dane has scored this season is 3, and he did 7 last night in a 564 yard blowout of the redskins.

The only downside is LaRon James has no shot at O rookie of the year, only getting about 5-10 carries a game. That's one of the things that's so amazing though... the opposing defense -has- to know exactly what we're going to do, and can't stop us anyway.

Gotta be my favorite playbook/philosophy combination in the game. anybody else have any experience with it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Martz Playbook + Vertical Passing = 500 yards per game

I must admit I haven't played using this playbook or philosophy. I currently run the Holgrem West Coastwith the West Coast Normal philosophy. Speaking of which, has anyone observed the effects of changing your team philosophy to something that might not be what their playbook is catered to?

Here's my assumptions:

Martz Air Attack is a vertical pass playbook. So I would imagine that Ask Coach would provide mainly passing play suggestions. What if you changed your philosophy to power running? Would Ask Coach then provide mostly run plays?

In my situation I had the Jets (same Holgrem playbook) with a power running philosophy in year 1 (to boost McFadden). I usually let the OC call the plays or go with Ask Coach suggestions. What I found is that they called alot of up the gut type runs. Fine. In year 2 i've moved to a West Coast Normal philosophy (still the same Holgrem playbook) but I've really not noticed much change in the ratio or pass/run suggestions in Ask Coach (or allowing the OC to call the plays). If I were to really think about it I would say there are slightly more passes called, but not by much.

Now, I'm considering setting my team philosophy to West Coast Heavy Pass. In the hopes of getting a better amount of passing plays (whilst still having roughly 20 runs per game). I'm not if it will happen. I wonder if Ask Coach is predicated on your OC's personal offensive philosophy (I have Jim Caldwell as my OC but really I can't recall what his philosophy is). Maybe if he has a power running philosophy it might explain why running plays were still prominently featured in the suggestions.

Anyways, I've gone off tangent. If the above works then maybe you could have a method to give LeRon James more carries per game. However, I would imagine the Martz playbook doesn't have a big variety in the running game so your run plays would be kind of predictable if you upped the run ratio.

On the sliders point. I have used ebons sliders (which were good) but I have moved to picker19s set at the moment. Really I'm having trouble running the ball still. McFadden should be alot better than he is (he averages just over 2yards per carry) and the sliders weren't working for me.

Any suggestions for boosting the run game with sliders?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Rookie

I had the same problem with the steelers, no matter what I selected, West Coast, West coast heavy pass, or Spread, they all seemed to play pretty similar. I can say I see a big difference with Vertical Passing, and I can say I see a big difference with Power Running, but all the rest seem to be awful close to each other.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Pro

I actually played a game last night using the West Coast Pass Heavy which the Holgrem playbook is designed for. The playcalling was far more even, with roughly 30passes and 20ish running plays. I was happy with that.

Also noticed my OC has the philosophy of spread, so maybe a heavier passing offense suited his style more.

So it seems like there are differences if you elect to have your OC call plays by changing your philosophy.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

martz playbook wont average that on byrons sliders and house rules. More like 300 prolly. This game is double of reality on default passing sliders. Gotta half it to bring it back to reality.

But in general yes, if you throw 35 passes where 20 or more have 2 or more deep routes(deep post, go, deep corner), you will throw over 300 yards easily on most slider sets(especially defautl). On properly adjusted sliders, you can still throw over 300 but you have to take advantage of defenses and particular matchups.

The difference between west coast and spread is personnel on the field. West coast looks to keep base defense on the field whenever possible. That means lining up with 1 or 2 tes, a rb and a fb(if only 1 te), and 2 wrs. Usually under center, balanced gameplan, short passes. Check down, nothing too aggressive, maybe one deep route to keep a d honest.

Spread is mainly shotgun usually and its 3 or 4 wrs, sometimes 5, rarely a te unless you have a freak, sometimes you have a rb or 2(maybe a fb and rb) with 3 wrs. Goal is to get matchups against the 3rd and 4th cb, or safeties against wrs or hbs that are fast. They go deep but usually to open drags or crosses over the middle by pulling the safeties deep on 2 deep routes. Lots of 5 route passing plays.

Vertical is mainly 2 or more deep routes on any pass play, out of any formation. They can have a lot of ace(2 te 2 wr 1 back, under center), and a lot of play action with deep routes. Mainly want tall recievers who go up and get the ball at its highest while running as straight as possible(not a lot complex routes, gos ins outs slants posts seams fades.) NEEDS A RUNNING GAME either up the middle or outside to open play action up.

Heavy pass west coast will incorporate a more spread look than a balanced west coast(think the packers now). You're telling your team to practically abandon the run except for draws sometimes. Route running and catching in traffic would be big attributes for this one as you need wrs who can get open and make big plays.

Big difference in philosophy between spread and heavy pass west coast is depth of routes. West cost loves slants and quick SHORT in and out routes, spread is looking to attack deeper/takes a lil longer to set up plays with thier crossing patterns and ins and outs, more deep posts. Spread also likes to run from shotgun with a te and a rb, 3 wr or 2 wr and a fb.

Heavy pass wont run anything but draws and outside handoffs when in shot gun and rarely at that. They'll go back to default running formation like i or strong/weak to run more often then run from the shotgun. Also heavy pass wont stay exclusively in shotgun like spread will usually. Heavy westcoast will still come in undercenter with quick and standard passes.

Last edited by chiguyinthedessert; 11-04-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Rookie

I don't know how you guys get all these crazy stats all the time. Do you keep running up the score and passing when you're up by 50 or something?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Pro

In another game using west coast pass heavy (close win against Vince Young and the Titans) I couldn't for the life of me get the run going. McFadden ran for about 35 yards at less than 2ypc. McGahee had some good runs but that was rare.

The OC kept calling counters for the run plays. I believe this was because I game planned for counters. Probably a big mistake if it makes the OC rely on that play only.

I'm thinking of switching back to a west coast normal mainly because I was to feature the running game. Morrow as a rookie should not be throwing 30 passes a game when our running backs are solid. With a season or two under his belt ill turn the team over to him with a heavy pass philosophy.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Dont let the oc and dc call plays. Call your own. They will only call 10-20 plays. Also, use your gameplans early in the game if they're running gameplans. same with blitzing ones on defense. You dont want the oc or dc calling gameplan plays, you want them calling plays for the situation.

Also, you now know not to pick counter gameplans against the defense you faced. you also learned you need to have a straight running attack before you can counter. that means outside or inside runs need to be successful as to force them to BITE ON THE COUNTER.

If you're gonna let the oc or dc call the plays, you at least have to use the gameplans as soon as possible so they dont get limited to those plays.

And they get those yards by only using mastered plays. If you use learned and unlearned plays, you have breakdowns and mistakes happen more which lead to more 3 and outs or missed 3rd downs(aka realistic). Finally, its too weak of sliders for pass game. If you have them over 25, you're gonna average 350-400+ yards a game easily with any joe schmoe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »