Home

I don't understand Production

This is a discussion on I don't understand Production within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: I don't understand Production

My sliders dont make it harder, just more realistic statistically(whether you sim, supersim or play the whole game). No team should go perfect unless they are better than the pats who almost did it till they lost in the sb. Thats why I tweaked the sliders, to make it so I could lose instead of always dominate.

In 2013, I had only 2 qbs go over 5000 yards 50 and 53 tds, both their coaches had a 5 in performance(hammermill and mike singletary). otherwise only 10 others got to 4000 and the rest were below that. I had rbs lower than I liked but I realized it was due to the draft class and completely simming the season, not doing any gameplans or depth charting, just sim to playoffs.

If you have the jack english class, the pass game will be stronger(qbs wrs oline pass blocking coverage cornerbacks). If you have the ozzie jones path, the run game will be stronger. I dont have a ton of experience with zazzali or sweetney so others would have to chime in on which those 2 paths emphasize. But Ive also seen a difference based on who was on the staff. I used to have a rb coach at oc and a bad *** rb coach, now I dont have that oc and storm only got 1300 yards rushing on less than 300 attempts(285 I think). So EVERYONE on your staff matters.

The only thing I cant get down is qb interceptions(most usually has around 30 but over 500 attempts). On the english path qbs throw more attempts against very good cbs. I do however have the game only allowing 1-3 people in the league on defense getting 10+ interceptions based on how often they've been targeted and their abilities, who they versed that season.

This game will never be perfect as every game has its flaws. But with my sliders, Ive seen some of the best plays Ive ever seen. Ive seen strong qbs break sacks(like darius pryor) just to throw a bomb for a td. Ive seen rbs like storm stewart(moved from te to fb to hb) do a juke then a spin move like in real life. Ive seen all kinds of things and have video of it. 99 yard tds passing and rushing.

My sliders arent about difficulty, although they arent as easy as default sliders. They're about making the game simulate better so the stats are more realistic. It wont stop everyone from being ridiculous stat wise(see brandon marshall on broncos under shannahan), but it stops MOST people from putting up record numbers every season in every category.

Last edited by chiguyinthedessert; 11-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 1

I am playing as the Patriots but did a 2008 off-season draft so my players are not all top notch, especially defensive backs. I could have signed Asomugha in free agency but decided not to go for his 5-year 35+ million.

I've been playing Madden football games for years, but I never complained about it as much as I have about HC 09. The reason is I really love this concept and wish it could have been taken to a higher level. In short, I am not interested in making the game any harder than it is. I will deal with the run game scenario and complain here

I read the engine used in this game is from Madden 08. The thing I would most like to change is the running game, but not if it makes the game more difficult.

I looked at someone's slider thread and was surprised to say the least when it started as "For those of you who read my earlier thread on sliders, you know that based on extensive research, I've determined that the sliders are indeed broken."

Now, of course there was more he said, but the point is well taken and I'm done with sliders.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #35
Rx3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well that was quick.

If sliders are out of play (and while not perfect, they do work) your only other real option is to take a hard look at streamlining your playbook.

So for example, you want to improve the running game. Unfortunately for us, the play editor doesn't allow for custom run plays from scratch. The RB path is not editable, you have to use one of the pre existing ones. So now you need to go over your current playbook and start testing and eliminating all the plays that don't work well with your team. Then you will have to go into the editor and start searching for some that do work, possibly changing the blocking assignemnts to further tweak them to fit your team personnel strengths.

You may end up wi th a completely custom playbook for offense and defense by the time you get done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 26

The best way I can describe production-it's a way for GMs to evaluate players in trade and FA. I've got 2 players-CB Nnamdi Asomugha who has gone from a 91 overall to 94 with a 89 Production score.

On the other hand- I've got DT Amobi Okoye who has dropped from a 60 Production to 39. As a result, he has dropped from a 91 overall to 89.

I'm guessing there's about 2-5 points that a high/low Production score can cause a overall to swing either way. It doesn't affect player performance, but it's another way for GMs to evaluate players, just like player philosophies.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
The best way I can describe production-it's a way for GMs to evaluate players in trade and FA. I've got 2 players-CB Nnamdi Asomugha who has gone from a 91 overall to 94 with a 89 Production score.

On the other hand- I've got DT Amobi Okoye who has dropped from a 60 Production to 39. As a result, he has dropped from a 91 overall to 89.

I'm guessing there's about 2-5 points that a high/low Production score can cause a overall to swing either way. It doesn't affect player performance, but it's another way for GMs to evaluate players, just like player philosophies.
Now the question becomes did Asomugha do better because of your play calling or because the AI/CPU wanted that to happen? There is a reason I ask that question. I have two kickers on my team, Bironas and Serna. I've been using Bironas for FGs and Serna for kickoffs. The AI/CPU either does not want me to have two kickers or doesn't want me to have Serna. Bironas has 95 kicking power, and Serna has 97 kicking power. Who should be kicking the ball further?

The logical answer is Serna. But, is that what was happening in the game? No! All through pre-season Bironas kicked the ball further than Serna--every game. Why? I believe it's all about who the AI/CPU wants me to have on my team. Both have been doing kickoffs in pre-season.

The GM came with his Season Goals and Draft Sheet with recommended players to draft in English Draft. The Patriots GM wants me to re-sign Vrabel and Harrison. They are both past their prime and over 32 years old next year.

The Sleeper selections for the draft includes Juran Riley with strength being one star. I am pretty sure that was the case in my last career, one star. Perhaps the AI/CPU didn't want me to pick Riley so that some other team could get him and he would shine with interceptions. He certainly didn't shine with interceptions on my team in all the years I had him up until he was 27.

It all comes back to Bironas and Serna. Why is Bironas kicking further than Serna? I say it's because the AI/CPU wants me to keep Bironas and get rid of Serna, and I don't doubt if a CPU team got Serna he would be kicking further than Bironas.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I am playing as the Patriots but did a 2008 off-season draft so my players are not all top notch, especially defensive backs. I could have signed Asomugha in free agency but decided not to go for his 5-year 35+ million.

I've been playing Madden football games for years, but I never complained about it as much as I have about HC 09. The reason is I really love this concept and wish it could have been taken to a higher level. In short, I am not interested in making the game any harder than it is. I will deal with the run game scenario and complain here

I read the engine used in this game is from Madden 08. The thing I would most like to change is the running game, but not if it makes the game more difficult.

I looked at someone's slider thread and was surprised to say the least when it started as "For those of you who read my earlier thread on sliders, you know that based on extensive research, I've determined that the sliders are indeed broken."

Now, of course there was more he said, but the point is well taken and I'm done with sliders.
Cavicchi, I was the one was stated the sliders are broken, and they are, because they do not work as they should. In other words, if you lower USER offensive sliders, they don't do anything. Yet change the CPU offensive sliders and they impact both USER and CPU. That being said, the sliders do something, so you can at least set the sliders to a level that might work for you, despite there not being a perfect set. Everyone's got their own idea of what feels real or is fun to them. If you read my very long-winded thread, you'll see that I personally have found that the USER and CPU D sliders should not be matched, and there are lots of different combinations you can try out to find a balance that works for you. Thedudescrew is still using my original 40/20 set, MRS started with my original 40/20 set and then came up with his own version, and I'm playing with a new version myself, but all variations are based on the same principles that I posted. Others swear by ebongreen's. And chiguyinthedesert (who may be Byron himself under a new alias), is very much in love with Byron's sliders.

The bottom line is you'll never find a set that does it all. Trust me, I've wasted so many hours trying to "crack the code" and figure out how to balance the game out, but the sliders are so screwy that it's impossible. You may find a set that works great for a year or two, but there are just too many variables and modifiers to this game to find one set that works for all conditions, all the time. My only advice is avoid the default sliders and take some time to try out some of the sliders folks have posted here. Hopefully, you'll find a set that is at least playable for you.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Now the question becomes did Asomugha do better because of your play calling or because the AI/CPU wanted that to happen? There is a reason I ask that question. I have two kickers on my team, Bironas and Serna. I've been using Bironas for FGs and Serna for kickoffs. The AI/CPU either does not want me to have two kickers or doesn't want me to have Serna. Bironas has 95 kicking power, and Serna has 97 kicking power. Who should be kicking the ball further?

The logical answer is Serna. But, is that what was happening in the game? No! All through pre-season Bironas kicked the ball further than Serna--every game. Why? I believe it's all about who the AI/CPU wants me to have on my team. Both have been doing kickoffs in pre-season.

The GM came with his Season Goals and Draft Sheet with recommended players to draft in English Draft. The Patriots GM wants me to re-sign Vrabel and Harrison. They are both past their prime and over 32 years old next year.

The Sleeper selections for the draft includes Juran Riley with strength being one star. I am pretty sure that was the case in my last career, one star. Perhaps the AI/CPU didn't want me to pick Riley so that some other team could get him and he would shine with interceptions. He certainly didn't shine with interceptions on my team in all the years I had him up until he was 27.

It all comes back to Bironas and Serna. Why is Bironas kicking further than Serna? I say it's because the AI/CPU wants me to keep Bironas and get rid of Serna, and I don't doubt if a CPU team got Serna he would be kicking further than Bironas.
From all I've ever seen and all I've heard from the developers, there are really only a couple of factors in player performance on the field. Playbook knowledge, your player ratings, Performance skill with your coaches(particularly the position coaches), and position skills by your coaches(particularly the position coaches). Your Playcall skill and Strategy skill also play a part if you let the CPU do any playcalling.

Asomugha-I had 4 last year, 4 after 7 games this year. I'd guess Mastering the Playbook and getting Perf to 4 with DC and Perf to 5 with my HC also helped. There's also a degree of randomness in the game that can never be underestimated. I don't think anything is wrong with Riley, he just had an off year that one year.

It's really on you how much you want to listen to your GM. A lot of the time their suggestions are based on your philosophies and your roster minimums. As for Serna/Bironas-it's preseason.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

FYI the "star" rating in the draft preview isn't your GM's opinion of the players he's presenting, but his opinion of the draft class as a whole at that position. Juran Riley is the only CB of note in the 2009 english class, so your GM ranks that CB class as a single star. the 2010 english path defensive line class is probably the best in the game, so (I imagine) it gets 5 stars. The 2009 english QB class should get 5 stars too, and if it doesn't, something is just plain wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »