Home

I don't understand Production

This is a discussion on I don't understand Production within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 1
I don't understand Production

Maybe someone can explain how players get production because I don't understand it. The first game of season has the following for production:

1. MLB 1 had 12 tackles, 1 TFL, and 1 Sack - Production 71 - seventy one

2. MLB 2 had 3 tackles, 1 TFL and 1 Sack - Production 81 - eighty one

3. ROLB had 7 tackles, 1 TFL - Production 10 - ten

How could MLB 2 have more production than MLB 1? How could ROLB (Rivers) have production of only 10 with more production in game than MLB 2?

This is from a game I called, not a simulated game.

Adding information: This is first year of franchise and first game of regular season.

Last edited by Cavicchi; 11-13-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: adding information
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I don't understand Production

I would guess that MLB 2 has higher production because he was in for less plays and did a lot more with the plays he was in for. It would seem that the other two would have higher production though, I agree.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

In my experience, it seems that production is weighted heavily towards what the person has done in the past, including at the very least the entirety of last season, so one particular week won't influence it heavily either up or down.

Also certain positions seem to have a soft cap on production no matter how well they play while other positions seem to have highly inflated production totals. Offensive Linemen almost always have really high production, usually between 90 and 100, while no defensive player in my experience can even hope to approach 100... Most of my CBs and safeties are in the 20-60 range for production, even if they've got 15 interceptions for the season, while my LBs and DL are only slightly higher.

The exception is production from college careers. your rookie will come in with his OVL influenced heavily by his college production, and this will get dashed on the rocks (for good or bad) very quickly as he plays in the real NFL. It may even be disregarded entirely after the first pro game (I've never checked), which would explain your numbers for Rivers. The game counts him not as "1 awesome game out of 1 game total" but more like "1 awesome game and a whole lot of nothing before that".
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
In my experience, it seems that production is weighted heavily towards what the person has done in the past, including at the very least the entirety of last season, so one particular week won't influence it heavily either up or down.

Also certain positions seem to have a soft cap on production no matter how well they play while other positions seem to have highly inflated production totals. Offensive Linemen almost always have really high production, usually between 90 and 100, while no defensive player in my experience can even hope to approach 100... Most of my CBs and safeties are in the 20-60 range for production, even if they've got 15 interceptions for the season, while my LBs and DL are only slightly higher.

The exception is production from college careers. your rookie will come in with his OVL influenced heavily by his college production, and this will get dashed on the rocks (for good or bad) very quickly as he plays in the real NFL. It may even be disregarded entirely after the first pro game (I've never checked), which would explain your numbers for Rivers. The game counts him not as "1 awesome game out of 1 game total" but more like "1 awesome game and a whole lot of nothing before that".
This was first game of regular season and first year of franchise.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

right, but the game has stats in it's database for all previous seasons for all existing players. I'm assuming that your MLB1 and MLB2 aren't rookies, in which case there do exist previous season stats for them for which production is based off of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
right, but the game has stats in it's database for all previous seasons for all existing players. I'm assuming that your MLB1 and MLB2 aren't rookies, in which case there do exist previous season stats for them for which production is based off of.
I don't know about that because MLB 1 is Adalius Thomas and MLB 2 is Vrabel. Thomas is rated higher than Vrabel and I assume because he has produced more. I mean, would you be rated higher if you produced less?

As for ROLB Rivers, yes, he is a rookie.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Production is based off a player's career stats. I'll admit I don't know the precise stats the game engine looks at for linebackers-but I can guess. Tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles, and defensive TDs. Tackles for loss as well, possibly.

It's why you'll see such a drop in overall from the 1st year to the 2nd, particularly if a player had a first good year. The engine expects you to follow up the production you had, if not your production/overall drops.

It also works the other way. As a player continues to put up numbers year after year, you'll gradually see a lessening of the impact to production/overall. BTW, TEs/OL players the production is very lightly balanced to overall.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Production is based off a player's career stats. I'll admit I don't know the precise stats the game engine looks at for linebackers-but I can guess. Tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles, and defensive TDs. Tackles for loss as well, possibly.

It's why you'll see such a drop in overall from the 1st year to the 2nd, particularly if a player had a first good year. The engine expects you to follow up the production you had, if not your production/overall drops.

It also works the other way. As a player continues to put up numbers year after year, you'll gradually see a lessening of the impact to production/overall. BTW, TEs/OL players the production is very lightly balanced to overall.
So why would a MLB rated 90 have lower production than a MLB rated 86 on same team?

One thing that troubles me with all this is who/what decides OVR and reason for it. I had Shawn Merriman at ROLB last career and he would miss tackling a RB by either falling down or missed swipe or whatever. Now, why did he miss? Who/what made him miss?

The offensive line play in this game is, in my opinion, terrible, typical madden offensive line play. User OL ratings mean virtually nothing.

My point is making production important for OVR is great in theory, but this game, in my opinion, cheats. I've stacked the line with quality players only to see the CPU running back fly through as if on steroids. I am left wondering how did that happen? Looking at replays is a real downer in this game.

I called the same TE pass play 4 times in a row, even on 4th down--4 straight times. All 4 times Brady did not throw to the TE even when he was open. Why??? 3 out of the 4 times the pass was incomplete, including one thrown at the receivers feet. Considering this was the first quarter, I can't say Brady's arm was tired.

Getting back to the MLB question, I don't understand how MLB 1 rated 90 has lower production than MLB 2 rated 86.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »