Home

What's with Jack English?

This is a discussion on What's with Jack English? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
Rookie

bblack1207's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What's with Jack English?

I Have Had English, Brady, Peyton Manning, Alex Hurst, Cooper Reno, Etc. One Thing That Happens With The "Elite" QB's Is That They Do Have Awareness That Is Deceptive In Their Play Decisions Where They Will Try, i.e. Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Etc., To Throw Through Very Tight Windows And Get Picked Off, Which Usually Results In A "Pick 6."
I Have Had Brady, Manning, Kolb, English, Josh Johnson, Reno, Hurst, And Wyoming Each Throw An Abundance Of Int's And At Least One Per Game All Season, And Still Win The NFL MVP (English And Peyton Manning 3 Years In A Row.)
So I Guess It Is Basically How The Game Goes.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack1207
I Have Had English, Brady, Peyton Manning, Alex Hurst, Cooper Reno, Etc. One Thing That Happens With The "Elite" QB's Is That They Do Have Awareness That Is Deceptive In Their Play Decisions Where They Will Try, i.e. Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Etc., To Throw Through Very Tight Windows And Get Picked Off, Which Usually Results In A "Pick 6."
I Have Had Brady, Manning, Kolb, English, Josh Johnson, Reno, Hurst, And Wyoming Each Throw An Abundance Of Int's And At Least One Per Game All Season, And Still Win The NFL MVP (English And Peyton Manning 3 Years In A Row.)
So I Guess It Is Basically How The Game Goes.
I'll agree with that. It's pretty much the same in all the Madden games I've played where QB is controlled by AI.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
MVP

Update on Jack English:

He passed for over 500 yards with 8 TDs and 5 interceptions, made player of the week and lost one point on OVL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
MVP

Still further with Jack English: Jack's previous potential rating of 99 has been reduced to 96.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Rookie

revan615's Arena

OVR: 2

Try being less cavalier in your play calling. Vertical passing game = more ints. Always going to be that way. I am very conservative in my passing game, a lot of high percentage passes, usually very short. I only go down the field in the two minute drill. I also only throw about 30 passes a game, on a good day. I've always been run first though. But my qbs, Alex Brink is my favorite, only throw 7-10 picks a year. One year he only threw 5. In my worst years, when I'm playing from behind a lot, that number will swell. But still only to about 12. You should aim for about 6 yds per att. Numbers will be much more realistic. And ints won't be so crazy.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan615
Try being less cavalier in your play calling. Vertical passing game = more ints. Always going to be that way. I am very conservative in my passing game, a lot of high percentage passes, usually very short. I only go down the field in the two minute drill. I also only throw about 30 passes a game, on a good day. I've always been run first though. But my qbs, Alex Brink is my favorite, only throw 7-10 picks a year. One year he only threw 5. In my worst years, when I'm playing from behind a lot, that number will swell. But still only to about 12. You should aim for about 6 yds per att. Numbers will be much more realistic. And ints won't be so crazy.
Jack English is "supposed" to be significantly better than Alex Brink. When you have Larry Fitzgerald, Bellows, Jamelle Lucas, QuSean Mack, and Brandon Marshall, you should be asking who is covering those players. I also have Storm Stewart, Karron Cousins and Drew Goldman at TE. The interceptions are from short passes mostly, not long passes. Usually the interceptions are from English throwing it into someone's arms.

Again, with my wide receivers and tight ends, who is covering them? Next case scenario is the dropped passes, Lucas is usually good for 3-4 drops a game. My take on all this is AI will do what it wants regardless of Passer, Receiver, or anyone else.

Let me not forget to include my offensive line where everyone is 90 plus including Ron Brown and the Boma brothers.

We had 13 dropped passes in the last game, so I can't blame English for everything. But, those guys dropping 13 passes, really?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

you seem to have somehow managed to personally piss off the programmers of the game.

I have virtually the same receiving corps you do (minus fitz), and my guys bumble maybe 3-4 passes a game in situations where they're not taking a rough hit in the air or something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm going through the same issues. Maxed out QB, passing game special skills for all the relevant coaches, stud o-line and pass catchers...and also an ungodly amount of interceptions and drops. I sim every game (quick sim, not super-sim), and I know that affects those stats. In seasons where I've played every game instead of simming, I haven't had those problems (even with inferior coaching and players).
I haven't found any answer to it, and it seems no one else here has either. I just accept it as part of a flawed, but still very enjoyable product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »