Home

Running QB a mixed blessing

This is a discussion on Running QB a mixed blessing within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Running QB a mixed blessing

I never had a running QB in my prior career. This time I drafted Josh Johnson and plan to develop him as my franchise QB. Six games in, his rating is already up to 78 with a potential over 90.

Last night I had my first two minute drive with the game in the balance. In a two minute drive I basically want long completions or incomplete passes. A short gain that allows the clock to run is the worst. Josh kept running for short gains instead of throwing the ball away when everyone was covered!

The blessing part of mixed came when he scrambled 14 yards for a TD with 23 seconds left. We won in OT!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Rookie

bblack1207's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Running QB a mixed blessing

I never expect Passing Glory from Josh Johnson. I Actually use him as my So Called "Weapon" Per Say "Tebowish"
I have a #1 QB who can throw and lead an offense up and down the field. I use John Johnson to make Big Runs to use up the Clock or in tight games where I need to control the clock and drive for a score. With him and a real good Running Back you can have very productive drives.
Also, just as you witnessed, Josh Johnson tends to break a Big Gain and can carry a defender into the end zone. I have seem 80, 70 60 yard runs with him.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

He does tend to run more than scramble the first 2-3 years. After that, his passing skills do catch up with his running skills. I usually see all his non-awareness passing ratings max out by the end of the 3rd year.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

There is another benefit to having a fast QB. During Johnson's first year he chased down several DBs who I thought were gone with a pick six or a fumble return!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

My Raiders franchise a while back had Culpepper - who absolutely drove me nuts with how quick he decided to run with the clock ticking and the game on the line. Scrambling QBs can lose you as many games as win. Anyone remember HC06 where you could actually coach your guy towards a tendency (run/wait, throw deep/be safe)? That was such a great feature, really miss it. I wish they could combine '06 and '09 and make a '13.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2018, 01:47 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Interestingly enough, the only QBs that run regularly are the QBs initially in the game. The QBs that get created in upcoming drafts refuse to run regardless.
Ironic that Kerry Collins will scoot up to the line of scrimmage and run with slow speed.... but those fast QBs out of simulation drafts refuse and take sacks. Drives me nuts!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »