Home

You can edit Head Coach roster.......

This is a discussion on You can edit Head Coach roster....... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
Rookie

tosa's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: You can edit Head Coach roster.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnum
Any chance we get something similar for PS3 users?
The creator of this editor stated in the Madden forum that he was unfamiliar with how to adapt this to the PS3 but would be willing at some point if someone could give him specific info he would need to do it........since then it appears has not posted in sometime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 1

For those of you interested in using this roster editor, I spent a lot of time with it over this weekend, so here are a few observations:

First, as Tosa has pointed out, you can edit almost all the attributes for each player. The ones you can't edit are INJ, TGH, and LRN. Otherwise, everything else is up for grabs, including contracts, physical appearance, etc.

Second, there are two OVERALL columns. One is static and seems arbitrary (at least when being used with Head Coach). You can edit it, but it does nothing. The second one goes up or down based on certain attributes you edit. However, the number itself seems also arbitrary. For instance, in the editor, Player A could have an Overall of 13, yet when you load up the roster in the game, their Overall will be 76. I'm not sure if there's a connection between the first and second OVERALL #s...I don't think so...but the bottom line is this: the overall rating is the editor should only be an indicator if your attribute edits are making the players overall skills go up or down. Because again as Tosa mentions above, the Overall grade in the game does not seem to be impacted much by the editor. In some cases, yes, you can see a player's overall go up or down when you load up the edited roster in the game, but in most cases it does nothing. Case in point: I added Cedric Benson to the Bengals and boosted his ratings up. When I loaded the edited roster into the game, his overall rating remained in the low 70s. No matter how I edited his attributes, his overall rating remained the same. Yet, when I went into the progression view, his ratings had been changed. I also tested Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco, and even though I increased their key attributes by 20+ points, their overall and final potential remained the same.

Third, I did a test where I decreased attributes for Player A and increased them for Player B. Player A had three attributes that were 20 points above his max potential. Player B had three attributes 20 points below his current attributes (so he was 20 points farther from his max potential) Then I simmed a season to see what would happen. Player A still received points in the three attributes, but once he hit the cap (1500/1500 for instance), he stopped. So, his THP attribute looked like this: 97/77 (1500/1500). Player B was able to progress just like normal in the game and received a few progression points for his attributes but only now he had farther to go to reach his max potential. So, Player B's THP attribute looked like this 80/97 (350/1500). Overall, the editor is more effective or "true" to the game's progression system when you decrease a player's attributes versus increasing them (at least above the max potential).

TIP: When adding a removing a player from a team's roster, REMEMBER TO ADJUST THE CONTRACT! You don't want a player in free agency with a four year, 8 million dollar contract tied to them. When removing a player, I made them all zero. When adding a player, I typically stuck with something simple like 1 year/$400k. Just look at some other players and mimic what the editor is doing for them.

Coaches can be edited, but the numbers and attributes assigned to them do not easily translate into how the game shows coach progression, so besides giving Bill Belicheck his real name, I wouldn't bother touching these, but if someone figures them out, please let us know.

I do not know the long-term effect of editing rosters to the game. Will making Aaron Rodgers' THP 10 points over his max progression screw something up? Or will giving Charles Woodsen a boost in his Speed attribute help still keep him effective in 2011 (since speed decreases with age for DBs)? I have no idea. I'm going to start a new franchise with my new edited roster and see what happens. If I notice anything interesting, I'll post it here.

Final Advice: Unless the gentleman who programmed this editor does one specifically for Head Coach, I'd say the most effective things about using this roster editor are A) moving players between teams/free agency (helps since the last roster update in 2008 came out before the trade deadline so contracts can remain intact...e.g., Roy Williams on the Cowboys); B) changing contracts; and C) decreasing player attributes (so highly rated players that turned out to be duds in 2008 and beyond can have their attributes decreased and be farther from reaching their potential). I'm not sure how much, if any, of an impact increasing player attributes will result in improve gameday performances from players. I'll play through a career and keep an eye on certain players and see how they do. My fear is that when resigning/cutting/trading players, the CPU is going to work off of the overall grade, and if that's still low for the likes of Rodgers, for instance, all the MVP awards in the world won't make a difference, and he'll end up in free agency or being picked up for a 6th round draft pick despite having back to back 4,000 yard seasons.

Last edited by picker19; 02-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
Rookie

revan615's Arena

OVR: 2

Very informative. I'm taking some vacation this week, so I'll spend some time in the editor as well.

Picker, I am having problems opening the roster file in the package manager from my desktop. I'm getting an invalid xbox 360 file prompt. How do I get the manager to recognize the file properly?

Last edited by revan615; 02-04-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
Pro

Revan, I'm certainly no expert, but I'll try to help. So, it sounds like in Horizon you were able to extract the roster file from the Device Manager tool, correct? That's step #1. If you did that fine, you should then have the roster file saved someplace on your computer. I put mine in a desktop folder called "Roster."

Next, in the Package Manager, go to "Open" and choose the roster file you just extracted from your flash drive using the Device Manager. Once you do that, within Package Manager you should see the roster file's details show up with a little Head Coach logo thumbnail. Once that's up, go to the "Contents" tab. You'll see that little table like an Excel spreadsheet. In that table you should see your roster file name. Right click on it and choose extract. It'll ask you to name/save it. Per the original instructions, I called my "roster.mc02". I put it in the same "Roster" folder as the original Xbox file I extracted via the Device Manager.

Once that's extracted, I just opened up the roster editor and then opened up the "roster.mc02" file to begin editing it.

So, I personally never saw that invalid prompt. I was able to easily extract the original roster file. My problems were trying to save the file back down to the hard drive (the original instructions were lacking in this) after I had edited it.

I'm not sure if any of the above helped. If you can successfully extract the roster file on the flash drive using the Device Manager, then I'm not sure why you'd get an error, unless your manipulating the file in another way. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to take this offline. Just send me screenshots or at least write down the steps you're taking and I'll try to help.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
Rookie

tosa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker19
For those of you interested in using this roster editor, I spent a lot of time with it over this weekend, so here are a few observations:

First, as Tosa has pointed out, you can edit almost all the attributes for each player. The ones you can't edit are INJ, TGH, and LRN. Otherwise, everything else is up for grabs, including contracts, physical appearance, etc.

Second, there are two OVERALL columns. One is static and seems arbitrary (at least when being used with Head Coach). You can edit it, but it does nothing. The second one goes up or down based on certain attributes you edit. However, the number itself seems also arbitrary. For instance, in the editor, Player A could have an Overall of 13, yet when you load up the roster in the game, their Overall will be 76. I'm not sure if there's a connection between the first and second OVERALL #s...I don't think so...but the bottom line is this: the overall rating is the editor should only be an indicator if your attribute edits are making the players overall skills go up or down. Because again as Tosa mentions above, the Overall grade in the game does not seem to be impacted much by the editor. In some cases, yes, you can see a player's overall go up or down when you load up the edited roster in the game, but in most cases it does nothing. Case in point: I added Cedric Benson to the Bengals and boosted his ratings up. When I loaded the edited roster into the game, his overall rating remained in the low 70s. No matter how I edited his attributes, his overall rating remained the same. Yet, when I went into the progression view, his ratings had been changed. I also tested Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco, and even though I increased their key attributes by 20+ points, their overall and final potential remained the same.

Third, I did a test where I decreased attributes for Player A and increased them for Player B. Player A had three attributes that were 20 points above his max potential. Player B had three attributes 20 points below his current attributes (so he was 20 points farther from his max potential) Then I simmed a season to see what would happen. Player A still received points in the three attributes, but once he hit the cap (1500/1500 for instance), he stopped. So, his THP attribute looked like this: 97/77 (1500/1500). Player B was able to progress just like normal in the game and received a few progression points for his attributes but only now he had farther to go to reach his max potential. So, Player B's THP attribute looked like this 80/97 (350/1500). Overall, the editor is more effective or "true" to the game's progression system when you decrease a player's attributes versus increasing them (at least above the max potential).

TIP: When adding a removing a player from a team's roster, REMEMBER TO ADJUST THE CONTRACT! You don't want a player in free agency with a four year, 8 million dollar contract tied to them. When removing a player, I made them all zero. When adding a player, I typically stuck with something simple like 1 year/$400k. Just look at some other players and mimic what the editor is doing for them.

Coaches can be edited, but the numbers and attributes assigned to them do not easily translate into how the game shows coach progression, so besides giving Bill Belicheck his real name, I wouldn't bother touching these, but if someone figures them out, please let us know.

I do not know the long-term effect of editing rosters to the game. Will making Aaron Rodgers' THP 10 points over his max progression screw something up? Or will giving Charles Woodsen a boost in his Speed attribute help still keep him effective in 2011 (since speed decreases with age for DBs)? I have no idea. I'm going to start a new franchise with my new edited roster and see what happens. If I notice anything interesting, I'll post it here.

Final Advice: Unless the gentleman who programmed this editor does one specifically for Head Coach, I'd say the most effective things about using this roster editor are A) moving players between teams/free agency (helps since the last roster update in 2008 came out before the trade deadline so contracts can remain intact...e.g., Roy Williams on the Cowboys); B) changing contracts; and C) decreasing player attributes (so highly rated players that turned out to be duds in 2008 and beyond can have their attributes decreased and be farther from reaching their potential). I'm not sure how much, if any, of an impact increasing player attributes will result in improve gameday performances from players. I'll play through a career and keep an eye on certain players and see how they do. My fear is that when resigning/cutting/trading players, the CPU is going to work off of the overall grade, and if that's still low for the likes of Rodgers, for instance, all the MVP awards in the world won't make a difference, and he'll end up in free agency or being picked up for a 6th round draft pick despite having back to back 4,000 yard seasons.
nice job and well stated about the limitations. Would be awesome if Xan were to take a shot at this and see what's possible. At least there is the possibility to create current rosters if someone had the patience for it. Like you, I am not yet sure of the long term ramifications.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
Pro

WARNING! I spent hours and hours updating the roster in the editor, and then tested the edited roster out with a career and it crashed the game. As soon as I tried to sim the first gameplan event, the game froze. I tried this multiple times with different franchises, etc., but as long as I used the edited roster it froze up.

My first guess is that when it's trying to assign attribute points on such a wide scale to edited players whose attributes I'ved made above the max that it's freezing up. I'm going to update my edited roster and only edit players attributes LOWER and not increase any attributes and see if that helps. Something is better than nothing, I guess.

If this works, then the roster editor is only good as long as you don't increase the attributes above a player's max. I'll test this theory out today, I hope.

On a good note, I did confirm that changing attributes in the roster editor does impact the overall grade. Not as much as you might think in some cases, but it does work to a degree.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #31
Rookie

tosa's Arena

Weird, I edited some players- not as many as you- and I finished 2nd preseason game with no crash. Are simming every game or playing out yours?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
Rookie

tosa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosa
Weird, I edited some players- not as many as you- and I finished 2nd preseason game with no crash. Are simming every game or playing out yours?
and some were edited above the POT threshold.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »