Home

I feel cheated

This is a discussion on I feel cheated within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Angry I feel cheated

Let me preface this by saying that I do not in any way feel that an undefeated regular season means I am an expert at this game. I would prefer to find the magic settings for the sliders that would make that a really difficult feat.

That being said, on with my rant!

I was 16-0 in 2013, my second year with the Redskins. I had a team with below average talent (26th) and great assistant coaches. During the regular season I only had two games decided by less than 10 points, a 34-29 game where the Eagles were mounting a comeback, too late, and a 14-13 come from behind game against the Giants. That was our second game, I won the first by 13.

My first playoff game was against the Giants. My first play from scrimmage M. Shakur fumbled and the Giants scored. Shakur also fumbled on his 2nd, 3rd and 5th carries. So I put in Clinton Portis. He fumbled on his 2nd carry. While I was coaching the Redskins Shakur fumbled 9 times in 450 carries and Portis fumbled twice in 150 carries.

At 1 in 50 the chances of Shakur fumbling 4 out of 5 times is 1,250,000 to 1. The added chance of Portis fumbling 1 of 2 in that string brings the combined chance to somewhere around 50 million to 1.

Looks like a bug to me!

Anyway, obviously the fumble generator was stuck in the on position so I just didn't run the ball the rest of the game. My receivers were dropping the ball more than usual but not fumbling.

I lost! I would have welcomed a loss in a game where the breaks went back and forth but my team just didn't make enough big plays but this felt wrong!

I have saved games before and after, I think tomorrow I'll try it again just to see if anything similar happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: I feel cheated

I feel your pain. I've been in games where I'm sure the computer is determined to mess up my world. I remember one game I had where Carson Palmer threw to Isaac Bruce 5 straight times (in two series) and he dropped every one. It defies logical explanation. My favorite is the 3rd quarter cheat (as I call it) where I swear no matter what - the computer scores a TD on it's opening drive of the 3rd quarter. Doesn't matter what I call, 9 times out of 10 they drive down the field and score. It's like I'm up against the NFL's 75th anniversary All Star team when in fact I'm watching JP Losman connect with Wallace Wright and Limas Sweed. Still, never had a fumble-palooza like that. Tough call on replaying it, if you turn around and beat them by 21, it probably won't feel any better.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've had the fumblepaloza before.

I've also seen interception hell. In this particular game, Dane Morrow threw 4 interceptions for me, but the opposing QB threw 7 (yes. seven. SEVEN) interceptions in the first 3 quarters, till they put in their backup, who threw 2 more in the 4th quarter.

I have no words to explain that.

The "this just isn't fair" that I see most often however is the 2 minute drill inevitability. Although I see this frequently in supersim mode, It is consistent enough to bet your paycheck on in full play mode. That is, inside of the 2 minute warning in both the 2nd and 4th quarters, but especially the 4th, the opposing team is going to complete upwards of 75% of his passes, and every one is going to be for a 1st down. I've seen a team that I otherwise had held to 3 points the entire game score TDs TWICE inside the 2 minute warning before. it's like the "rubber band catchup mode" in racing games. A team that otherwise sucked donkey balls all of a sudden is staffed by super bowl mvps for 2 minutes.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Rookie

Got any tips on lottery numbers?

I replayed the game, won by 21 and don't feel any better!

This time my only fumble was by my QB while being sacked. The game turned at the end of the half. NY had a first and goal at my 2. I stopped them twice on runs and guessed pass on third and three. McClintock jumped a pass in the flat at the goal line and took it back 100 yards to put us ahead 14-0.

Eli gave up 4 INTs but 3 of those were in the 4th quarter as the Giants tried to come back. (he had thrown 7 total in the other three games between these rosters).

I think I'll move on to 2014 with my buggy loss, I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of a reload to avoid an undeserved loss.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow
The "this just isn't fair" that I see most often however is the 2 minute drill inevitability. Although I see this frequently in supersim mode, It is consistent enough to bet your paycheck on in full play mode. That is, inside of the 2 minute warning in both the 2nd and 4th quarters, but especially the 4th, the opposing team is going to complete upwards of 75% of his passes, and every one is going to be for a 1st down. I've seen a team that I otherwise had held to 3 points the entire game score TDs TWICE inside the 2 minute warning before. it's like the "rubber band catchup mode" in racing games. A team that otherwise sucked donkey balls all of a sudden is staffed by super bowl mvps for 2 minutes.
I see that often, I actually am glad, it makes games more interesting. I've seen it work the other way, too.

In my first career I recall games that seemed lost that suddenly became interesting again when I got punt return TDs or my previously morose offense broke a couple of unlikely big plays!

I don't relax in a two possession game when I've been dominating their offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

yeah, that's a little weird the score played out like that. LOL - I would have taken the loss and moved on too. Good call. I'm sure it was just one of those things, good luck the rest of the season.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I know what you mean.

This steal I got in the 6th round a runningback by the name of Tiki Harbin led the league in rushing with 1717 yards. But he had 29 fumbles.

My sliders I have tweaked a bit to get realistic play has been really good. Not saying there the best. But in 4 years I went 12-4, 10-6, 14-2, and 13-3.

I won 3 superbowls. The first against the giants I won by 3 stopping them with 40 seconds to go. The 2nd I blew out the Bucs who had won 2 in the last 4 years. The 3rd I played the Giants again who kicked a field goal with 3 seconds left to win but missed. They completeley shut down my run game, and I got no sacks.

I started over with the Seahawks and man let me tell you its hard when you have no talent. I can't run the ball with the oline I have (My superbowl teams had lineman that were 90-95) and I can't get a good pass rush yet. So its really challenging with these sliders if you don't have top talent your gonna have to call a great game.

SO please try these out and tell me how they are

Hum Qb 63 psblck 40 wr 62 rbabi 77 runblk 45
Cpu 40 50 40 99 99

Humarw 50 psbrk 57 int 99 brekblk 57 tak 30
Cpu 20 85 25 92 30
Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipqtexas
This steal I got in the 6th round a runningback by the name of Tiki Harbin led the league in rushing with 1717 yards. But he had 29 fumbles.
I'm guessing that was about 300 carries. 10% fumbles would lose most running backs their jobs! The most fumbles by any NFL RB in the top 40 this year was 5. RG3 had 9 in 120 attempts but I suspect some of those were scrambles where he got hit from behind.

Quote:
My sliders I have tweaked a bit to get realistic play has been really good. Not saying there the best. But in 4 years I went 12-4, 10-6, 14-2, and 13-3.

I won 3 superbowls. The first against the giants I won by 3 stopping them with 40 seconds to go. The 2nd I blew out the Bucs who had won 2 in the last 4 years. The 3rd I played the Giants again who kicked a field goal with 3 seconds left to win but missed. They completeley shut down my run game, and I got no sacks.
It's hard to compare results because we all play with different sliders and house rules. I recently started a new career in KC. After 3/4 Super bowls and one perfect season I moved to Washington. I continue to look for ways to make the game more competitive without just deliberately playing bad. I like winning but I want the game to make me earn it!

Your career sounds interesting!

Quote:
SO please try these out and tell me how they are

Hum Qb 63 psblck 40 wr 62 rbabi 77 runblk 45
Cpu 40 50 40 99 99

Humarw 50 psbrk 57 int 99 brekblk 57 tak 30
Cpu 20 85 25 92 30
I'll be happy to try them. Many of the contributors here suggest that having different settings for the Human and CPU will "break" the game. That 95 on INT looks scary. I already have trouble getting too many INTs.

I just tried these tweaks on my settings today and first blush they look pretty good. Got me a 24-17 game decided in the last minute.

OFF 35 35 35 80 60
DEF 40 40 40 40 40
ST 45 40 50 95 25

I'm trying to tone down the passing, beef up the running and generally make the defense just strong enough to keep the games close. I haven't made the FGs better because the CPU won't take advantage of that change. I hate it when the punters try for the coffin corner and put it out of bounds at the 30. The TB on KO are just silly when you play the game. I don't think 25 is low enough.

Credit: I started with Ebongreen's sliders. I've picked up other ideas on this forum.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »