Home

Stopping the outside run in 4-3

This is a discussion on Stopping the outside run in 4-3 within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Stopping the outside run in 4-3

Just played the Texans and I'm completely unable to stop their outside running game (zone blocking stretch plays out of Singleback). Slaton ran for 190 yds in the 1st half before getting injured.

I am using a pressure based 4-3 man coverage PB (based loosely on the Broncos' PB). I've already tried to spread the DL and/or LB or to press the DBs, still can't get a hand on their RB once he gets outside the hashmarks. Those DE's and OLB's always get easily blocked by their OT and TE's.

Any ideas ASIDE from "use this PB or use that PB"??? I'm stuck in a savegame with a 4-3 base defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Stopping the outside run in 4-3

Well-I don't see why spreading the defense out wouldn't work. I'd use the cover-2 plays in your playbook if you have any. It's supposed to beat the outside run.I'll also mention the Texans start with a outstanding OLC in Alex Gibbs. Just about anyone the Texans use will do a good job of running the ball while Gibbs is there.

Last edited by Mike3207; 05-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for the quick reply. I already tried to use some cover 2 plays but it only works if my CB can beat the block by the WR. If the WR can maintain the block on the corner it's an automatic 15 yd gain...
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Rookie

What other formations do you have in your playbook? I know it seems kinda dumb, but maybe using a nickel or dime defense could help. It would leave you vulnerable up the middle, but the speed of your DB's may help on those outside runs. Even if your DB's aren't great tacklers, they should be able to get to the ball carrier and slow him down enough till help arrives.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Cover 2 with spread dline, or saftey/nickle back blitzes to the side you think they're running. Also, make sure to work on blitzing outside runs against the broncos and texans until shanahan and kubiak arent there. When gibbs takes over a team, do the same thing with him.

You need that and work on zone coverage if you're gonna try and run the cover 2 to stop the outside run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Rx3
Rookie

Some of the problem might be your personel, maybe they don't pursue well or are not aware enough.

With the Texan's pressure 43, it seems the design is to depend on the DL to stunt to create the pressure. If your DL isn't a stout group, you could run into problems.

In general though, you should be able to find plays that stunt or blitz to either side. Shifting the line or the LB to the side you expect the run to be on will help your players to be in better position to make the tackle.

Using zone will help as well, as players won't totally vacate an area. If Cover 2 is an issue with your CBs tackling, see if there are any zone blitz plays in the Texan playbook that send the DBs into deep zone and keep the LBs in zone closer to the LOS. They may be better equipped to make solid tackles. Cover 3 Zone may work well too in this regard of keeping the LBs/SS closer to make the tackles.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnum
Thanks for the quick reply. I already tried to use some cover 2 plays but it only works if my CB can beat the block by the WR. If the WR can maintain the block on the corner it's an automatic 15 yd gain...
In cover 2 the Corner has force responsibility against the run. Forcing the runner back inside to your DE, OLB, and Saftey playing the alley. If your corners cant consistently beat the WR block then you may want to avoid cover 2. Speedy backs like Slaton can turn the corner quick without pressure from your corners.

Also with the cover 2 you have only 7 in the box. Cover 3 will bring your SS up in the box to help against run.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 3

I know it brings the safety in the box but if a te gets a hold of the saftey its off to the races if the cb is dropping deep on both sides or both the safeties are going deep.

Cover 2 with decent enough cover corners, kills outside runs 75% of the time. Plays like nickle cover 2 or tampa cover 2(outside cbs in blue flats) or lbs going blue flats on a cover 2/3/4. If you have a better 3rd lb, go 4-3 and shift the lbs to the wide open field side. That helps usually. But cover two is to stop anything from going outside or in that first 5-10 yards of the line(quick and standard pass). When mastered, it will stop most any back except the elite elusive or trucking ones.

The only other couple things you can try is like a 4-6 or aggressive 3-4 play that sends 8. Man up the outside corners, deep middle safety and move the lbs wide off the line like just inside where a nickle corner would be on both sides. Send them blitzing, send the de's rushing outwards, and the dt and mlbs up the middle blitzing. Move the dt off the line and pick blitz then move him back on the line, head up against the center.

That should stop a lot of it. That or cover 3 flats from the 4-3. 2 cb 1 safety deep, 1 safety purple (buzz curl flat zone). On that side with the purple safety zone send the lb to the light blue flats zone. Then rush outward with the de and dt on that side. Blitz middle lb, lb on the deep safety side does a purple buzz zone and the de does a light blue flat zone, dt does rush middle straight or outside, your choice based on how the mlb is blitzing to open his rushing lane.

You could also just make the middle lb a qb spy or middle hook zone depending on the offense you're versing. You're sending 8 into coverage and they will be all be going to the outside. In theory, once learned/mastered, it should stop any outside run but you need zone cover personnel and speed at everything but dt...

Its just a cover 3 version of cover 4 flats from the packers playbook minus both des going to light blue and both lbs going purple zones. You could even switch the safety and lb to make it symmetrical for lbs but I would want them hawking the line on the open side of the field and the de and dt on that rushing outward to force the back inside where the opposite side dt and mlb are blitzing up the middle.

Also I highly suggest game planning forcing fumble against scat backs (smaller faster), and tackle against trucking bruisers whenever possible(after you've already worked on blitzing outside and inside runs/working with dline on insider runs).

If you're a man blitz defense work on that instead of zone coverage, if you're a zone blitz defense work on that instead of zone cover, if you're a straight man cover, work on man zone or man coverage plays. Gameplan the kind of cover you use and it will usually work with forcing fumbles/tackling or blitzing inside/outside runs/work with dl on inside runs to completely stop or slow down an opponent.

Last edited by algoody421; 05-10-2013 at 12:55 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »