Home

HB philosophy

This is a discussion on HB philosophy within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
HB philosophy

I'm planning to run a pass heavy offense that basically uses 3 or 4 WR as a base set. I need my HB to run a lot of draws to keep the defense honest, pass protect and catch some passes as a checkdown option (I don't plan to use him heavily as a receiver). The most important thing is the draw plays, though.

What philosophy would you recommend for my HB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: HB philosophy

If you're planning on using your HB in the passing game, then I'd go with either "Receiving" or "Speed" philosophy. Typically the good Receiving backs are also fast and elusive, but its harder to find one with a high rating. Speed has the opposite problem...too many hyped up overall ratings. But if you plan on keeping your back in to block often, then it more depends on your run style...inside (power) or outside/zone (moves). As for me, if I'm running a WC Heavy offense, I'll go with the two above since I want my back to be able to catch well but also have speed to create space and quickly get to the outside when I do decide to run.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Pro

I mainly use him for draw plays.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

Might as well go with Balanced.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

It seems as though your goal here is not actually to have a rushing attack but rather to have the threat of a rushing attack to punish other teams for forgetting about the run as well as a guy who can be effective on checkdowns which is usually less about catching and more about playmaking.

For this, with such limited touches, you want an explosive player who can really offer a big play threat. They won't get the touches eeded for a workhorse or power back to be effective. Also, balanced is kinda middle of the road for a completely non middle of the road offense. Receiving won't get the downfield throws to make it worthwhile.

The two philosophies that work best here are speed and moves as these guys are best in space making plays which is the idea of draws and checkdowns. Look for speed, agility, acceleration, vision, juke, and spin skills.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Banned

I would go receiving to make sure they can catch and anyone you get should be decent enough to be able to run really.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

If he was using the back in a way that utilized recieving skills I would agree but those really only come into play in downfield passing. Checkdowns really only require decent catch ratings and no other reciever skills. Even catching checkdowns you will be better with a moves type guy with good speed who can work in space and be a home run threat rather than worrying about his route running or catch in traffic skills
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Rookie

Go with speed and grab the fastest guy with decent bcc and carrying.

It's rare but speedy guys can sometimes break away for long runs. I've had about 3 or so in the last two seasons with Leron James

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »