Home

Building a Roster for Special Teams

This is a discussion on Building a Roster for Special Teams within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

I started the 2012 season with the Jets, and had an unusual number of kickoffs returned for TDs. That led me to revamp my roster to improve special teams play for the first time ever.

There are 5 players that look like they make make a difference on special teams. For kickoff coverage they are TE2, TE3, FB1, and FB2 (or TE1 if you roll with one FB). I kept my solid FB1 with no kick coverage skills, but replaced TE2, TE3, and FB2 with lesser position players that have some ability to shed blocks, pursue and tackle. The fifth and final player I replaced is C2, my long snapper who covers punt returns. Again I chose a lesser position player with decent BSH, PUR, and TKL.

In about 3 games, it appears that I have fixed my special teams problem, but it is too soon to be sure. Has anyone else built a roster specifically to improve special teams play? How did you do it, and did it work?

On a related note, I think of carrying (CAR) as ball security; hence, high CAR should reduce fumbling. Maybe it does for running plays, but my kick returner has 10 CAR (with high KRT) and yet doesn't fumble (much). Am I misinterpreting CAR, or is this broken?

Last edited by SwimsWithPhins; 03-19-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Building a Roster for Special Teams

I'm not sure but maybe KRT takes over for CAR on returns?

Aside from that - no, I've never taken Special Teams into account when building my roster. I usually reserve 1 or 2 spots on my team for return guys, (speedsters with good moves, guys like Ted Ginn or Darren Sproles). That's all. Never had too many problems on Special Teams anyway. I've always thought of my backup Linebackers as my core Special Teams guys.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Rookie

I've never built a roster specifically for special teams, but even when I subbed in all my starting LBs and CBs I'd see too many kick off returns for touchdowns.

The CPU will never make these subs and I found that I would return a kick for a TD about once every 3 games which is way too high for my liking.

I finally caved in and adjusted my sliders and moved kickoff power to around 85. It is more reflective of the current NFL and you'll only see about 2-3 return attempts a game. It was the only way for me to reduce the number of TDs I was seeing.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Rookie

Has anyone ever figured out who the game puts on special teams? I've always wondered about that. I just know the game always asks if I want to rest either a FB or a TE after a return.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
Rookie

You can find which players play on each special teams play by using the "quick sub" option with the play highlighted on the play call screen during a game.

For reference, however, here are the default kickoff personnel that come up for my team:

Kickoff: LE2, RE2, LOLB2, MLB1, MLB2, ROLB2, FB1, FB2, TE2, TE3, K1
Return: LT2, LG2, C2, RG2, RT2, FB1, FB2, TE2, TE3, KR1, KR2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Rookie

xCAGEx's Arena

OVR: 2

Have you looked at how Run Block sliders effect kick offs and punt returns? The reason I ask is I have been playing around with 0 sliders. As I began testing sliders to prove my run game I noticed when I set my run block sliders higher this also increased the kick return and punt return yards. When I left all sliders at 0 and increased run block to 100 the number of returns for TD went to 1, 2 and sometimes 3 per game. When I put this back down to 0 I had 0 TD returns. I also tested this with pass blocking sliders and found 0 effect on returns. The blocking on returns has to be linked to something and my guess is they assigned it to run blocking . Just some food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCAGEx
Have you looked at how Run Block sliders effect kick offs and punt returns?
I haven't experimented with sliders except to try test drive Byron Yatch's, pickers19's, and Ebongreen's sets. Given that Run Block also affects the likelihood that a pick turns into a pick-six (per picker19's observation), it is logical that it would affect kickoff and punt returns too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »