Home

Head Coach 06 vs Head Coach 09

This is a discussion on Head Coach 06 vs Head Coach 09 within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2020, 02:38 AM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
Head Coach 06 vs Head Coach 09

I've played both games and love them both, 09 has the most depth as far as AI as I've ever seen in a game but lacks the head coach feel. There's no practices, no developing relationships with player's, ect. Plus the game becomes way too easy way too quickly, having to become the heart of the league and pump talent all around seems like a pain in the ***.

On the other hand, 06 has all these features. But the loading times between screens, having to set tasks and all that can be tedious and grueling. Would be almost worth it if the AI wasn't so terrible, I'd win games with QB stats consistently like 4/20 30yards. After claiming inferiority on this game due to that and the fact it's so old, I haven't finished a season and can't say if it more difficult or not because the game simply didn't work for me. Seeing that there's sliders available now seems promising. But I doubt sliders will prevent a ******* QB snapping the ball, looking directly to the sideline, and throwing into quadruple coverage.

There's also extremely limited information on the 06 version as it's been buried by all the 09 forums. Should probably have its own forum.

Which is your favorite, and why? Which is more difficult?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Re: Head Coach 06 vs Head Coach 09

Also, which features do each share? Can you be fired in 06? I've seen that your staff and quit in mid season, do they get hired by other teams next season?

I love 09 but it's gotten to the point where I'd play the first 2 quarters or so and sim the rest until the playoffs, where the games aren't necessarily harder unless it's against the Colts or Bucs.

After reading the devs forum on 09, I highly doubt that 06 would even be on the same planet as 09 in terms of depth, AI, ect. Does it seems harder though? With or without sliders, I'd really enjoy having a tough game every week and struggle to consistently get to the playoffs.

Side note: does anybody have manuals or devs information on the 06 game? Seems rogue because of all the 09 info and all I could find way a dev trashing it lol

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
Which is your favorite, and why? Which is more difficult?
I like both of them, but if I had to choose one, it would be HC 09.

I played HC 06 a lot on the PS2, and it took me a while to figure things out. I had coaches (yes, plural) quit on me during a season, and I couldn't get the practices right and the team was unprepared. I had a bad first season, a horrendous second season, and an improved (but still bad) third season. After the third season, I believe my contract wasn't extended, but I wasn't outright fired. I started a new coach after that.

My second run was much better as I had figured out how to hire the right assistants and improve their trust with me. As the Browns, Vince Young dropped to me in the draft, and the team's success pretty much hinged on his play. I had the Browns in the playoffs by the 3rd season and won a Super Bowl by the 5th season. Young had become a beast because I had hired the right OC and QB coach to develop him.

I loved the practices and staff meetings, even though that became boring and redundant. I also loved the "range" a player would have in his ratings.

The drawback was the fact I couldn't change the quarter length. It bugged me to see how "good" my defense was ranked only because we played 20 minutes versus the 60 minutes simmed by the other teams. I also discovered the AI would cut young players, who were buried on the depth chart. I scoured the waiver wire and in one season I picked up some rookies: a CB (2nd-round pick), LG (3rd-round pick), and a LE (1st-round pick). It was like gaining extra draft picks without having to trade anything.

So why do I prefer HC 09? I liked the improved AI. I was playing this game without the knowledge of the draft classes, so that did slow my team's progress. I did build up the Panthers to be a really good team in the NFC, but the game got harder as I progressed. Better coaches appear in the game and the game figured out my tendencies. I really had to develop my players and, especially, my playbook.

Now, the knowledge I gained from this forum would put me in a better position, and I would probably have an easier time in the beginning - maybe even winning a couple of Super Bowls.

I found HC 09 to be a bigger challenge in the long run.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:29 AM   #4
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Quote:
Also, which features do each share? Can you be fired in 06? I've seen that your staff and quit in mid season, do they get hired by other teams next season?

All those quitters do get hired by other teams.
And they don't show up in your coaching tree.

Quote:
Side note: does anybody have manuals or devs information on the 06 game? Seems rogue because of all the 09 info and all I could find way a dev trashing it lol

I don't have any manuals regarding HC 06.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »