Home

How to make the game harder?

This is a discussion on How to make the game harder? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2020, 01:57 AM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
How to make the game harder?

I'm running goody sliders, and I'd prefer to not have any house rules.

My first season was a tough one because my player's didn't know the playbook. Now that they do, we ****ing annihilate everyone. We won the Superbowl last season, but the playoffs were somewhat easy as well. Manning and Dungy seem to be the only competition, I barely beat them in the AFC Championship.

My team is stacked though, only position under 80 are the D Line, and a pretty good staff as well.

I want this game to be ridiculously hard. I'd like to struggle to win 9 games a season, but not at the expense of having stupid QB AI, game exploiting for a challenge or something like that.

What are the hardest sliders? Any other advice on this? I'll try to tone down my squad some, but I don't wanna intentionally try to not build a great team.

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Re: How to make the game harder?

Are there any ways to remove coaching attributes? Im thinking of removing all my preformance traits

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Rookie

Just keep playing, contrary to popular belief the AI gets way stronger as the years go by and the bad coaches start to weed out and get replaced by nightmares like Hammermil.

I’m in my 4th season, 3 Super Bowl wins and 2 perfect seasons.

I’m 4-0 and nearly lost to Grudens cheap *** Bucks(Antoine Jefferson got a pick 6 on what could’ve been a game winning drive for them) I had to get lucky with big plays like Harry Douglas 60 yard run and a random kick return touchdown from Todd “Crash” Marino.

I play default sliders so I’m sure if you just gave the AI a boost it would be way harder, but if you just want an organic challenge then play through.

Most people believe the game is too easy due to exploiting the OP 2008 offseason and building a dominating secondary and drafting tons of studs in the first draft with the help of draft sheets. As you go along, barring the English Path it becomes much harder to manage salary cap along with buildings great roster. I feel most players would run into cap hill by their 4th or 5th season the way they play the game.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Rookie

Probably goes even without saying but the easiest way for that sort of challenge is to leave your team say year 3 and replace some recently fired coach, you’ll likely have a garbage staff, garbage players with insane contracts and on top of it, your former team will almost certainly be ridiculously hard to beat assuming you power gamed them a super roster.

Around year 4 a lot of coaches become difficult in my save

Gary Hammermil - Made the Cardinals into an overnight powerhouse singlehandedy, now Leinart is a 4000 yard passer each season and as the Rams I get to play this jerk two times a year. He has yet to beat me but he’sannoying.

Mike Holmgren - Another nuisance coaching my division, Holmgren has outcoached me straight up in games but never has the talent to win out. One game I found an overload blitz on the right side that he couldn’t deal with in his under center passing attack, and dropped Hasselbeck 6 times, the next 2 games Holmgren lined up his tight end on that side and stopped my cheese every time. He also almost beat me one year until my d-line injured his QB.

Jon Gruden - The nightmare of all nightmares, two straight games in two straight seasons going down to the final drive. Last season I came back to beat him with a game winning field goal and this season I held with a pick six. Not only is he a strong coach with an obnoxious tall ball abusing offense, his defense is loaded with pro bowlers. The Bucs managed to bolster their already strong defense with pro bowlers like Tommie Harris on my file. Dude regularly trots out 5-6 pro bowlers on defense each season.

Tony Dungy - Goes without saying but I actually usually dominate him with Cover 3, being out of conference Dungy doesn’t play us enough to adapt and I tend to run all over him.

Wade Phillips - Gave me a challenge in the playoffs one year after adapting to my Cover 3 defense the year prior which totally stifled Romo, but I’ve had insane luck and my defense managed to knock Tony out of the game and it was an easy win. They also blitz their safeties like hell(especially Roy Williams) and I can’t run on them despite being the best running offense in the history of football, but they are so predictable in their run blitzing Douglas gets career days against them.

And I’m just watching the rest unfold.

Tony Sporano got Darrick Conroy playing like an MVP after Harbaugh was fired but his stats don’t impress me. Andy Reid went to Detroit and now they are good and that is incredibly spooky to have Reid with an actually good QB and Calvin Johnson.

Bobby April is winning a lot but I’m not that impressed with him, he met me in the super Bowl last season, their QB got sick before the game and we picked off the backup 7 times and won by 42.

I’m actually excited to see how the game world keeps developing, my salary cap management is god tier so I can hold an iron fist as long as I want to stay on the Rams.

Last edited by TLCJR4LIFE; 12-20-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCJR4LIFE
Probably goes even without saying but the easiest way for that sort of challenge is to leave your team say year 3 and replace some recently fired coach, you’ll likely have a garbage staff, garbage players with insane contracts and on top of it, your former team will almost certainly be ridiculously hard to beat assuming you power gamed them a super roster.

Around year 4 a lot of coaches become difficult in my save

Gary Hammermil - Made the Cardinals into an overnight powerhouse singlehandedy, now Leinart is a 4000 yard passer each season and as the Rams I get to play this jerk two times a year. He has yet to beat me but he’sannoying.

Mike Holmgren - Another nuisance coaching my division, Holmgren has outcoached me straight up in games but never has the talent to win out. One game I found an overload blitz on the right side that he couldn’t deal with in his under center passing attack, and dropped Hasselbeck 6 times, the next 2 games Holmgren lined up his tight end on that side and stopped my cheese every time. He also almost beat me one year until my d-line injured his QB.

Jon Gruden - The nightmare of all nightmares, two straight games in two straight seasons going down to the final drive. Last season I came back to beat him with a game winning field goal and this season I held with a pick six. Not only is he a strong coach with an obnoxious tall ball abusing offense, his defense is loaded with pro bowlers. The Bucs managed to bolster their already strong defense with pro bowlers like Tommie Harris on my file. Dude regularly trots out 5-6 pro bowlers on defense each season.

Tony Dungy - Goes without saying but I actually usually dominate him with Cover 3, being out of conference Dungy doesn’t play us enough to adapt and I tend to run all over him.

Wade Phillips - Gave me a challenge in the playoffs one year after adapting to my Cover 3 defense the year prior which totally stifled Romo, but I’ve had insane luck and my defense managed to knock Tony out of the game and it was an easy win. They also blitz their safeties like hell(especially Roy Williams) and I can’t run on them despite being the best running offense in the history of football, but they are so predictable in their run blitzing Douglas gets career days against them.

And I’m just watching the rest unfold.

Tony Sporano got Darrick Conroy playing like an MVP after Harbaugh was fired but his stats don’t impress me. Andy Reid went to Detroit and now they are good and that is incredibly spooky to have Reid with an actually good QB and Calvin Johnson.

Bobby April is winning a lot but I’m not that impressed with him, he met me in the super Bowl last season, their QB got sick before the game and we picked off the backup 7 times and won by 42.

I’m actually excited to see how the game world keeps developing, my salary cap management is god tier so I can hold an iron fist as long as I want to stay on the Rams.
Does Gruden ever stay put with a team? How much of an issue has General Sanders been for you?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
Rookie

In my current file Gruden is still with the Bucks in year 4 and as stated they are the hardest team to beat consistently. I actually had a detailed gameplan on how to beat the Bucs for the playoffs last season and got lucky because they lost to the Giants. Giants gave me a good game but Eli ended up throwing 3 picks and we won by 3 scores.

General Sanders is garbage because he’s on the Falcons and their QB is Matt Ryan who can’t run his offense. He’s also on the hook for 10 million so they are in cap hell. He will probably get fired soon and picked up as a coordinator. They actually JUST drafted a scrambling QB in his third season but it will be too late by the time he ends up getting canned.

Anyway, today I actually had my first loss and ended my unbeaten streak at 48 games. The 1-3 Steelers of all teams completely shut down my inside running game and Willie Parker ran for 170 yards on my defense which has for the last two seasons been the number 1 rush defense in the league.

I’m also noticing I’m no longer getting any pressure out of my Cover 2 this season. Chris Long had 15, 17 and 21 sacks his first 3 years and in first 5 games has like 2. The other coaches and GMs are massively upgrading their offensive lines and the coaches are starting to get a lot more special skills.

It’s getting to the point where the average free agent offensive lineman is at 82 overall.

I actually was saving my points for motivator and spent them all on tackling and big hit for my head coach because I was so pissed at my run D, then made a trade for a new linebacker.

The game definitely keeps you on your heels as you go along. But yeah like I said, I think if you actually went to a bad team that has been drafting busts you will actually find it so hard maybe you wouldn’t enjoy it anymore. Because you will be stuck with so many 60 rated players getting 7-8 million dollars for 4-5 years due to the way rookie scale is in this game. It’s absolutely brutal if you don’t use draft sheets or have prior knowledge or use your GM to draft.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
Are there any ways to remove coaching attributes? Im thinking of removing all my preformance traits

Get your assistants high enough and let them go in offseason and build young low rated coaches

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
Rookie

Maybe once every 3 months I get the urge to play this game. Remember my PS3 died a long time ago, then check this forum to see if people are still playing it.

Anyway ...

I believe the only way to actually make this game harder is to use a custom roster. I know folks called out tendencies and house rules to narrow your options but these are band-aids, minor adjustments.

Think about it if you are still playing there is no chance the draft isn't ruined for you. You will always win the cap allocation game, have the best draft, and your coaches will gain skills at a faster rate due to winning (and you get more just for playing). Unless you leave every 3 years your players will have a playbook knowledge advantage over almost every team. The game only gets easier you have to implement house rules to keep it to the difficulty you want.

Given these issues it leads me to believe a custom roster as the only way to create an uphill battle worth the climb.

Coaches
Sliders are mentioned in this thread, but in theory the ultimate sliders are the skills of your opponenet coaches. If you want to create a challenging experience you need to ensure the league is full of Dungy, Gruden, Reid, Ophamer, Hammermill level coaches.

Maybe 10 years ago now I did some sims and found a great coach could add at least 3 wins, an upgrade to a good playbook 1-2 wins, and players ... less impact unless it was a QB.

My suggestions (sorry for how long this was, i was thinking about it on a long drive )
1) Update all teams to have good offensive and defensive playbooks

2) Align philosphies to the playbooks

3) Set all opponent coaches to a min of level 3 for all the skills of the positions they are in charge of

4) Set all opponent coaches to have max potential for all skills

5) Change all coaches to loyalist (or something similar) personality and bump their approval to 99 to start. This will ensure less turnover in the league. This means less change of playbooks for your opponents.

6) limit the potential for all of your coaches and plan to keep them there as long as you run the franchise

These changes alone would make every game you play more challenging than season 1 vs Pats, Colts, Bucs etc.

If you want to go further ...

7) Give all your opponents perfect coaches. Find the ones with ambition or the highest amount of special skills make sure they are an HC, OC, or DC. Now as you progress all your opponents will spend all their skills on the special ones (you cannot edit these or GM skills sadly)

Even further ...
As you are always going to win the cap and draft battle you can modify the player subset of the roster.

8) Eliminate the cap ... you can't turn it off in game, but you can effectively. You can edit all contracts to be for 7 years at the minimum. When free agents and the draft hits it actually uses the average salary based off of starters in the league. It wipes away realism, but now you won't see good teams cut good players because of stupid cap moves

9) Help teams when they make dumb decisions. Example team has 2 strong RGs but a week LG you can swap the positions. OLine, Dline, LBs, and Secondary you can work around these issues to ensure the best 11 are on the field

10) i created one a long time ago, but load up the starting rosters with HOF caliber players. Want a challenge try facing 16 Dungy + Manning type combinations every season

I miss this game, maybe one day someone will figure out how to edit the draft and I'll jump back in

Last edited by jlech1805; 02-04-2021 at 07:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »