Home

Official San Francisco 49ers thread

This is a discussion on Official San Francisco 49ers thread within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2005, 01:05 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Official San Francisco 49ers thread

Need to get a big run stoper in the middle if their going to run the 3-4.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Take this with a grain of salt ..got this from another message board.

profootballweekly speculated that maurice carthon could be our offensive coordinator.

also, i heard dan reeves say he'd love to be a part of nolan's staff IF he was asked.

Just something to talk about.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Hmm Singletary as Defensive coordinator and Rathman as offensive coordinator? Jeff Diamond rumored to be GM>( I brought his name up two nights ago)

Dont forget press conference to introduce Nolan is schedule for 3pm est, 12 pt time today.

49ers shopping in job market
By Cam Inman, CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Deposed coach Dennis Erickson returned to the 49ers' Santa Clara facility Tuesday and turned in his keys, just in time for incoming coach Mike Nolan to hook them to his key chain.

Nolan signed a five-year contract Tuesday to become the 15th coach in 49ers history, according to a team spokesman. He agreed Monday to leave his role as the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator, and he will be introduced today at a noon news conference in San Francisco. Financial terms of his contract were not disclosed.

ADVERTISEMENT

If Nolan is to succeed, he shouldn't be locked out from communicating with whoever is hired to oversee the 49ers' personnel department and replace general manager Terry Donahue, who, like Erickson, was fired Jan. 5.

That's what the 49ers' last two coaches, Erickson and Steve Mariucci, recommended Tuesday.

"They've all got to be on the same page. That's basically it," Erickson told the Times in a phone interview. "The personnel director gets the players, the coach coaches them and go from there. The coach has got to tell him what players he wants and you've got to go get 'em."

"They'll find another GM here shortly, I suppose, and the key is they work well together," Mariucci said on the KTVU (Ch. 2) morning news show. "The key is communication. You don't always have to agree on everything, but you have to discuss everything. It's sort of like a marriage.

Donahue developed troubled relationships with Erickson and Mariucci, and the team's relentless salary cap woes didn't help, according to sources familiar with the situations.

"The big thing for us was the purge in the second year," said Erickson, referring the departures of nine starters last offseason. "There's no sense of getting into that now."

Only two years ago, Erickson also received a five-year contract -- worth $2.5 million annually, guaranteed. He, too, christened his tenure with an introductory news conference at a swanky San Francisco hotel.

Whom Nolan brings with him to today's news conference isn't as important as who he'll work alongside, including not only Donahue's successor but the coaching staff.

"He's going to be involved in that process," Kirk Reynolds, the 49ers director of public relations, said in terms of a general manager search. "I'm sure they've gathered names and they'll bring folks in (for interviews). He might lead (the search)."

General manager candidates speculated on by various media outlets include Jeff Diamond, a former Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings executive, and Randy Cross, a former 49ers offensive lineman turned television analyst.

Cross said he consulted with York during the coaching search but shrugged off talk of making the jump from television analyst to general manager, something Matt Millen did with the Lions.

"Would I do it? Everyone who's been a commentator since Matt Millen got (the Lions) job wants to get into that," Cross said, before shrugging off his interest. "Nah. My No. 1 thing is I want to see the team win again. I've had no conversations regarding (the general manager job)."

As for Nolan's staff, several of Erickson's assistants said Tuesday they expect to be asked to clean out their offices today and don't anticipate Nolan being interested in most of them.

Offensive coordinator Ted Tollner said he'll be traveling today to Detroit to meet with the Lions about taking a similar role under Mariucci, who brought him to the 49ers in 2002 as a quarterbacks coach.

"I don't know about my situation. I think there's a chance of something here," said Tollner, who's never worked with Nolan.

One other 49ers assistant said he's heard that former 49ers fullback Tom Rathman might be a candidate to become offensive coordinator. Rathman played for the 49ers from 1986-93, coached 49ers running backs from 1996-2002 and has spent the past two seasons doing the same on Mariucci's Lions staff.

For what it's worth, Mariucci and Erickson gave Nolan their blessing to fill the corner office they once occupied.

"He's a very good football coach. He'll be very well received in San Francisco," Mariucci said. "They've got a defensive coach now. He's going to do well."

Said Erickson: "I've met him before, but I don't really know him. I'm sure he'll do a good job. He's got a good reputation."

Last edited by Brandwin; 01-19-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Nolans first interview as San Francisco 49ers head coach..he was on KNBR this morning( I listen online) here is the link.

http://24.104.40.88/knbr/0119nolan.wma

Three areas to address:

1) Improve personnel - staff, players, etc

2) Put in right organization structure

3) Develop chemistry & trust involving coaches/players etc

-Team should have one voice

-Wants well disciplined and fast players

-Allow players to shine

-Excited about identifying players and what the current 49er players can do

-49ers have a lot of quality players; lots of key injuries last year

-Played against 49ers two years ago and mentioned team seemed to lack an identity

-Has tremendous amount of faith in York gained over the last week

-Interview process was excellent

No mention of GM or coaching staff candidates
Old 01-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #53
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Nolans first interview as San Francisco 49ers head coach..he was on KNBR this morning( I listen online) here is the link.

http://24.104.40.88/knbr/0119nolan.wma

Three areas to address:

1) Improve personnel - staff, players, etc

2) Put in right organization structure

3) Develop chemistry & trust involving coaches/players etc

-Team should have one voice

-Wants well disciplined and fast players

-Allow players to shine

-Excited about identifying players and what the current 49er players can do

-49ers have a lot of quality players; lots of key injuries last year

-Played against 49ers two years ago and mentioned team seemed to lack an identity

-Has tremendous amount of faith in York gained over the last week

-Interview process was excellent

No mention of GM or coaching staff candidates
Hes hired its official!

Harcore Gamers Get Their Game info Here or you aint Hardcore$$ Click for Xbox

Click for PS2

"The Dunk Contest will be off the hook" Uhh Not
Give me back my real college players I can draft you can keep this gimmick!!
Old 01-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

http://sf49ers.com/newsroom/DisplayNews.asp?newsid=2247
Old 01-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 4

Does anyone know if Singletary has coaching experience? I dont recall if I heard his being on a staff on either the pro or college level.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenage
Does anyone know if Singletary has coaching experience? I dont recall if I heard his being on a staff on either the pro or college level.
He's part of the Baltimore Raven staff (LB Coach)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »