Home

Official San Francisco 49ers thread

This is a discussion on Official San Francisco 49ers thread within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2004, 03:11 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Official San Francisco 49ers thread

Last edited by Brandwin; 06-09-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2004, 03:27 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Re: Official San Francisco 49ers thread

Ill use this thread to add news worthy stories and tidbits and we as Niner fans can come here to talk. Please post Niner related info and talk in this thread. Feel free to post news stories, tidbits or any other San Francisco 49ers information . I would like to keep all Niner talk in this thread to help with the clutter.

Erickson meets with Ole Miss

Barlow upset, Hicks gets starting job

Also, according to 49ers.com message board a fan said he heard on KNBR that Dorsey is the starter for the rest of the season as Rattay will miss the last 3 games. Maybe Pickett will get a chance to get some playing time as well.

Last edited by Brandwin; 12-15-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 AM   #3
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

How has Justin Smiley (the rookie guard out of Bama) been doing for you guys?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

I got excited for nothing

Erickson told players this morning that he is not leaving to be Ole Miss coach, that doesnt mean he will not go somewhere else or be fired. If fired, I think York has to pay him like 7 million dollars. He could still leave or resign...man I got my hopes up and wake up to be let down.

Link

Im sure Erickson is just trying to cash in and York is trying to force him out. Rumors are he pretty much told Erickson he has to fire his asst coaches,but Erickson has complete control over his staff and is friends with a lot of them. Im sure the Niners will have a new coach come the 2005 season.

Last edited by Brandwin; 12-15-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

I gotta be honest Dookie, I've always hated the niners with a passion, I've never even liked their UNI's.

One of my good buddys who was born and raised out there (he's always saying Hellathis and Hellathat) played for CAL, and is a life long Niner fan.

Well, I've always hated em' until this year, now that their down in the dumps, I feel for them. It reminds me of all my years rooting for a loser, my Bolts.

Where I'm going with this is, now that our shoes are on each others feet, so to speak. I actually feel for them, I wish they had a new owner, and were dominant again.

I guess, it could be easier for me to hate them again, when they are returned to glory.

But right now, I'm actually rooting for your guys Dookie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

From Profootballtalk.com Rumor Mill

Although its a rumor I have read things like this on other sites as well and I think it is pretty correct.

ERICKSON'S PLAN FALLING APART

It looks like 49ers coach Dennis Erickson is losing his quest to retreat to college ball (again) and pocket the remaining $7.5 million on his contract with the 49ers.

The dance began last month, when we reported that Erickson was planning to head to the University of Washington, as the new head coach.

Once Erickson's desire to have his cake and spend it too was exposed, he flatly denied any desire to leave the 49ers.

"I'm going to finish this thing and do what I came to do," Erickson said.

Erickson also said, "If I wanted to be in college, I'd have stayed at Oregon State."

And Erickson added this gem when asked if he'd be coaching the 49ers next year: ''Oh, yeah. I mean there's no question about that. Like I've said, we have a long-term plan and we go ahead and go from there.''

So what happened?

Erickson, we believe, was banking on the fact that he could worm his way out of his contract -- and get paid to do so -- while at the same time landing in Washington.

Sure, he never was an official candidate for the Huskies gig. Just like he wasn't a candidate for the 49ers job two years ago (until he signed the deal). And just like he wasn't a candidate for the Ole Miss job, until his "secret" candidacy was exposed by ESPN.

Now that the cat's out of the bag (again), Erickson apparently has decided to drop the charade and pursue one of the remaining empty seats at the D-I level. Even Erickson is smart enough to realize that his "I won't fire any of my assistants" routine was merely a more sophisticated equivalent to driving around the parking lot with those five tarnished Lombardis dragging from his bumper.

"I have an interest in going back to college," Erickson now says, less than a month after issuing his categorical denial.

But Erickson is still equivocating. "It doesn't mean [that I'm leaving] at all."

It's obvious that (as we explained last month) Erickson is playing the 49ers for a buyout. The problem is that Dr. John York likely won't blink, even if he otherwise would have fired Erickson and paid the $7.5 million. York now knows that Erickson wants out, and York is going to force him to quit.

It would be smart for York to simply work out a severance package in lieu of forcing Erickson to stay when he doesn't want to be there. Still, even for $2.5 million a year, we can't imagine Erickson hanging around at a gig that he no longer believes in. Eventually, he'll walk away -- likely will nothing or close to it.

And that's the right thing to do, in our view. We can understand that a guy who gets fired should get the rest of his contract, since he otherwise would have stayed and fulfilled it. But for a guy like Erickson to try to weasel a seven-figure buyout when he's got one foot out the door and the other one in the air, that's just wrong.

So give it up, Dennis. You made $5 million for two years in San Fran. Given the performance of the team on your watch, you should be happy that no one is asking for a refund.

If we sound bitter, we are. Why? Because Erickson got on his high horse when we first broke the story that he was looking to get out. "I'd like to know the person who starts those rumors," Erickson said. "There's no accountability."

When it comes to accountability, Erickson needs to look in the mirror. The idea that he'd try to finagle a $7.5 million windfall is shameful -- and the fact that he's apparently going to be blocked from pocketing any more 49ers money than the coin that he (arguably) has earned while on the job is just, in our book, another Festivus miracle.

Last edited by Brandwin; 12-15-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 7

The official thread, allll-right.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
Pro

AugustWest71's Arena

OVR: 5

cool, another '9ers fan out there. good idea

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »