Home

Dallas Cowboys War Room

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboys War Room within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #4905
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Dallas Cowboys War Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
I dont know why Dak has not signed yet. Take 35 million, 5 years. The cap might not recover for years.
Dak correctly has not signed because the Cowboys are low-balling him relative to his negotiating leverage, the current contract market for quarterbacks, and projected escalating league revenues over the next decade thanks to upcoming new television contracts.

Quote:
If he doesn't sign by June. They should rescind the tag. Go with Dalton and plan on drafting a QB next year.
If you want to immediately lose the entire locker room by telling them "we won't pay you when you earn it with your play on the field" - Dak has proven his worth and then some - then sure, don't pay Dak.

If you want to immediately slam the door shut on this team's Super Bowl chances - there's a good reason the Bengals did not retain Andy Dalton, and it's because he's no longer a franchise quarterback - then sure, don't pay Dak.

The Cowboys should have paid Dak after the 2018 season. With every day they don't extend him to whatever he wants - that's the leverage he has, especially with the Mahomes / Watson / Jackson contract extensions due up soon - they pay for that mistake a little more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #4906
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Many Cowboys fans are extremely unfair to Dak.

He has been really good.

I don't blame him for wanting more if the deal is 5 years.

Cowboys played their hand and lost a little. Dak is playing his hand now. There could be some cap issues, and then he would lose.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #4907
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Dak correctly has not signed because the Cowboys are low-balling him relative to his negotiating leverage, the current contract market for quarterbacks, and projected escalating league revenues over the next decade thanks to upcoming new television contracts.

If you want to immediately lose the entire locker room by telling them "we won't pay you when you earn it with your play on the field" - Dak has proven his worth and then some - then sure, don't pay Dak.

If you want to immediately slam the door shut on this team's Super Bowl chances - there's a good reason the Bengals did not retain Andy Dalton, and it's because he's no longer a franchise quarterback - then sure, don't pay Dak.

The Cowboys should have paid Dak after the 2018 season. With every day they don't extend him to whatever he wants - that's the leverage he has, especially with the Mahomes / Watson / Jackson contract extensions due up soon - they pay for that mistake a little more.

I agree that the Cowboys should have paid him in 2018. Other than that there is not much more I agree with.

I wouldn’t exactly call offering Dak a contract that makes him the highest paid player in the NFL “low-balling him”. He’s being offered a contract that is more than fair considering where he is on the QB pecking order.

As for immediately losing the locker room, they would definitely lose some guys for a while. They wouldn’t lose the entire locker room though. At the end of the day the majority of the players realize this is a business and will be professionals. Especially the ones that have their own families to feed. Those that are disgruntled by another man’s contract situation enough that it’s effecting their play on the field will likely be phased out.

When it comes to closing the door on any Super Bowl chances, it definitely lowers them. I don’t believe it completely closes them though. Andy Dalton is a bus driver. With the weapons and OL this offense has he’s more than capable of getting this team to the playoffs, especially with McCarthy helping him. Once in the playoffs it’s a crapshoot, but that would be the same with Dak. With either Dalton or Dak though, how the defense plays is going to determine if they can get to the playoffs or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #4908
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

I don't blame Dak for wanting top dollar. I am talking from a team standpoint.
The cap is going to go down substantially in 2021. Salary cap might drop 30
to 80 Million in 2021.

Dak deserves to be paid, but this is a very different time. So much uncertainty
surrounding sports. If the cap does go down 80 Million, do you think Mahomes,
Jackson and Watson will be getting 50 million a year from their teams if that
happens?

As far as losing the team. They paid Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Lael Collins,
Elliott, D Lawrence. All in the past year. I don't see them losing the team.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #4909
Pro

Quote:
to 80 Million in 2021.

happens?

As far as losing the team. They paid Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Lael Collins,
Elliott, D Lawrence. All in the past year. I don't see them losing the team.

True the cap could likely dip in 2021 but there will be two huge increases in the cap in 2022 and 2023 because of the new tv contract. From what I read they are expecting as much as a 50% increase in 2022 and then another 50% increase in 2023. That’s why Dak wants a short contract 2-3 years (at $35M a year) so that he can be free again when the new tv money kicks in.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #4910
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
to 80 Million in 2021.

happens?
I refuse to believe the salary cap is going to decline $30 Million dollars in 2021, especially with the new television contracts kicking in. Until that happens, I assume that's the owners blowing smoke.

Even if it does: strictly speaking, how the Cowboys spent their money prior to paying Dak Prescott is not Dak Prescott's problem, and the team fallout from paying a franchise quarterback his market value is also not Dak Prescott's problem.

I also know that the Chiefs have been preparing to pay Patrick Mahomes a record-setting contract since they drafted him, and that the Chiefs are opening negotiations for a Mahomes extension this summer. There's no hard figure right now for what Mahomes is ultimately going to get, but the lowest I've seen reported is $40 million a year, some are saying as much as $50 million. If the Cowboys can't get Prescott under contract before Mahomes is extended, that's going to make the contract negotiation much more painful.

Anyway, just like any of us negotiating salaries with our employers, Dak is worth and deserves however much he can negotiate for and not a penny less. Dak has done everything asked of him and then some so far in his NFL football career, and he has more than earned a franchise quarterback contract. If the Cowboys have sticker shock and don't want to pay Dak a franchise quarterback contract, fine, but I put no fault on Dak for that. Not when the net worth of Jerry Jones is at least fifty times greater than whatever contract Dak ends up signing.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #4911
Pro

Quote:
I refuse to believe the salary cap is going to decline $30 Million dollars in 2021, especially with the new television contracts kicking in. Until that happens, I assume that's the owners blowing smoke.

Even if it does: strictly speaking, how the Cowboys spent their money prior to paying Dak Prescott is not Dak Prescott's problem, and the team fallout from paying a franchise quarterback his market value is also not Dak Prescott's problem.

I also know that the Chiefs have been preparing to pay Patrick Mahomes a record-setting contract since they drafted him, and that the Chiefs are opening negotiations for a Mahomes extension this summer. There's no hard figure right now for what Mahomes is ultimately going to get, but the lowest I've seen reported is $40 million a year, some are saying as much as $50 million. If the Cowboys can't get Prescott under contract before Mahomes is extended, that's going to make the contract negotiation much more painful.

Anyway, just like any of us negotiating salaries with our employers, Dak is worth and deserves however much he can negotiate for and not a penny less. Dak has done everything asked of him and then some so far in his NFL football career, and he has more than earned a franchise quarterback contract. If the Cowboys have sticker shock and don't want to pay Dak a franchise quarterback contract, fine, but I put no fault on Dak for that. Not when the net worth of Jerry Jones is at least fifty times greater than whatever contract Dak ends up signing.

You are correct that team fallout from paying a franchise quarterback his market value is not Dak’s problem. That is the Jones’ and Will McClay’s problem though. They have to figure out the best way to put the beat TEAM on the field. Would spending a huge chunk of the cap on 1 player make more sense than building the entire team up and spending a lot less to groom a young guy and going with Dalton for 2 years?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #4912
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
You are correct that team fallout from paying a franchise quarterback his market value is not Dak’s problem. That is the Jones’ and Will McClay’s problem though. They have to figure out the best way to put the beat TEAM on the field. Would spending a huge chunk of the cap on 1 player make more sense than building the entire team up and spending a lot less to groom a young guy and going with Dalton for 2 years?
When it comes to quarterback? Yes, absolutely. Spend the money.

There aren't enough quality quarterback options out there, and Prescott is one of the few quality options. Andy Dalton is not one of those quality options. Per Dom Cosentino via TheScore:
Quote:
[L]et's talk Prescott's ability. He's a proven starter who's led Dallas to the playoffs twice in four seasons. He's also won a playoff game. Last year, Prescott led the league in Football Outsiders' Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement (DYAR) metric and finished fourth in Total QBR. For those who think running back Ezekiel Elliott is more important to the Cowboys' offense, ESPN's John Parolin has noted that Prescott has a higher career QBR when Elliott is off the field (71.3) than on (70.3). Parolin also discovered that Prescott's career QBR of 33.6 when pressured is significantly higher than the league average (21.2) and that Prescott ranks seventh among QBs with at least 200 pass plays under pressure. This indicates Prescott isn't just the beneficiary of a good offensive line.

There's more. According to PFF, Prescott's 2019 passer rating on deep throws of more than 20 air yards (110.2) ranked seventh, and his adjusted completion percentage on deep throws, which factors in drops, was 52.6, which ranked second. Then there's this:

Quote:
@SportsSturm: 2019:
Most total dropped passes in NFL: Dallas, 46
Most dropped passes in NFL by percentage: Dallas, 7.6%
Pay him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »