Home

Dallas Cowboys War Room

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboys War Room within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #4641
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Dallas Cowboys War Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Yep on the bold above: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...r-deal-wr-cobb

With the signing of Cobb then we really have 3 players capable of filling the slot WR role. Cobb, Austin, & Wilson. Of course, Cobb has lined up all over the field during his NFL career but the last 3-4 seasons he has been more in the slot WR role.

We also have Hurns back for 2019 as well. He's simply a possession WR. He will be lining up just about 100% of the time as the outside WR but will run an awful lot of routes across the middle like Witten @ TE.

He won't see as many snaps as Cooper, Gallup, & Cobb so he will be 2nd string on the depth chart just like Austin & Wilson. I see the #1 WR group as Cooper, Gallup, & Cobb(slot). 2nd string WR's as Hurns, Brown, & Austin/Wilson(slot).

Do you Mr B or anybody else think we will draft a WR? We also have 2 WR's on future/reserve contracts in Reggie Davis & Devin Smith. We OFFICIALLY have 9 WR's on the roster counting the 2 future/reserve players. We might take 1 WR in the later rounds in my opinion but we really should have a pretty solid WR core for 2019.

I think we should use our draft picks for other positions especially now since we don't have a 1st Round pick. If there's not a clear cut WR on the board when it comes to our picks then we should most definitely pass on WR's. Too many needs at other positions.

Don’t forget that Cooper is also very effective out of the slot and I still expect he’ll get some snaps there. I think Hurns is going to have a really hard time making the team. I believe it was Brian Brodus that was saying the way his contract is structured the team could wait all the way to the end of training camp before having to cut him. They’d save $5 mil by cutting him. I’ll be surprised if they keep 6 WR’s so Hurns will have to be clearly better than either Wilson or Austin if he wants to make the team.

The only way I see them keeping 6 WR’s is if a WR falls to them at some point in the 2nd or 3rd round. Someone they didn’t expect to be there will have to be available for them to draft a WR. They have too many other needs right now.

I think they will go heavy at safety, TE, and backup RB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #4642
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

No chance on a WR now with Cobb in tow.

I want to get that Quinn deal done ASAP. No need to try another year of Taco Charlton there. Might as well play a 3-3-5 stack if he's there, or just 10 men instead. Either one will yield similar results.

I think 58 is almost assuredly a safety. I like Rapp, but he'll be long gone. BPA is possible if a guy drops who shouldn't like Montez Sweat, for example (who has the heart condition, so that would probably be the reason, though he was medically cleared for the combine. Probably not a huge deal).
Old 03-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #4643
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem

I want to get that Quinn deal done ASAP. No need to try another year of Taco Charlton there. Might as well play a 3-3-5 stack if he's there, or just 10 men instead. Either one will yield similar results.

I think 58 is almost assuredly a safety. I like Rapp, but he'll be long gone. BPA is possible if a guy drops who shouldn't like Montez Sweat, for example (who has the heart condition, so that would probably be the reason, though he was medically cleared for the combine. Probably not a huge deal).

I would love to upgrade Jeff Heath’s position but I don’t think they should reach for a safety. I think Woods is just fine and will actually make a leap in production. He’ll be in his second year under Richard and he has a huge chip in his shoulder from the team trying to replace him. They’re getting a 4th round comp pick for Hitchens and think they should be able to find a good SS in that round.

I personally like the idea of them trade up into the bottom of the 1st and drafting DT Dexter Lawrence from Clemson. He’s a beast at DT and if they can get the Quinn trade completed and DLaw signed their front 7 could be among the best in the NFL. Taco is nothing more than a rotation guy but the one I’m expecting to make a big improvement is Dorance Armstrong. They would also have Woods to fit into the rotation at DT. They would be extremely solid all the way across the DL.

I’m also wondering if they should seriously consider trading Byron Jones during the draft. After resigning DLaw they are also going to have to pay Dak, Jones, Cooper, and Zeke. They can’t pay all of them and with Richard on board teaching the guys in the secondary Byron Jones might be the easiest one to replace.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:29 AM   #4644
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
Don’t forget that Cooper is also very effective out of the slot and I still expect he’ll get some snaps there. I think Hurns is going to have a really hard time making the team. I believe it was Brian Brodus that was saying the way his contract is structured the team could wait all the way to the end of training camp before having to cut him. They’d save $5 mil by cutting him. I’ll be surprised if they keep 6 WR’s so Hurns will have to be clearly better than either Wilson or Austin if he wants to make the team.

The only way I see them keeping 6 WR’s is if a WR falls to them at some point in the 2nd or 3rd round. Someone they didn’t expect to be there will have to be available for them to draft a WR. They have too many other needs right now.

I think they will go heavy at safety, TE, and backup RB.
Just curious as to why you think we will be going after TE's in the draft? We already have Jarwin, Schultz, & Gathers plus Witten back all be it just for 1 more season. I could see us looking for a replacement for Gathers because he hasn't panned out at all but we do have 2 solid looking TE's in Jarwin & Schultz.

Plus, we have Codey McElroy under a reserve/future contract. I don't think McElroy will ever see the field in a regular season game though. So, in reality we will only have 3 TE's after 2019 with Witten leaving after 1 year back.

I could see us drafting a TE maybe at some point in the draft but we're not in an immediate need for one. We probably won't be getting a TE with any special skills/abilities if we do draft one because I'm sure we will address other positions in the draft 1st like DB, backup LB's, backup DL, backup RB, & backup OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem

Yes, Taco has been a big FAILO! LOL! We are also looking at a situation with Tyrone Crawford now as well. Some type of domestic situation Friday night for him at a bar but he was not arrested: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...wford-incident

DL here we come in the draft. It sure would be nice to get Montez Sweat. He's a beast but he will be gone in the 1st Round!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 03-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #4645
Pro

Quote:
Just curious as to why you think we will be going after TE's in the draft? We already have Jarwin, Schultz, & Gathers plus Witten back all be it just for 1 more season. I could see us looking for a replacement for Gathers because he hasn't panned out at all but we do have 2 solid looking TE's in Jarwin & Schultz.

Plus, we have Codey McElroy under a reserve/future contract. I don't think McElroy will ever see the field in a regular season game though. So, in reality we will only have 3 TE's after 2019 with Witten leaving after 1 year back.

I could see us drafting a TE maybe at some point in the draft but we're not in an immediate need for one. We probably won't be getting a TE with any special skills/abilities if we do draft one because I'm sure we will address other positions in the draft 1st like DB, backup LB's, backup DL, backup RB, & backup OL.

Yes, Taco has been a big FAILO! LOL! We are also looking at a situation with Tyrone Crawford now as well. Some type of domestic situation Friday night for him at a bar but he was not arrested: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...wford-incident

DL here we come in the draft. It sure would be nice to get Montez Sweat. He's a beast but he will be gone in the 1st Round!

Witten is nothing more than a stop gap. Is Gathers back, I thought he was a FA? Either way he’s terrible and won’t make the team. Jarwin is definitely the favorite to be the starter and we still don’t know much about Schultz. He might have something he might not. They are not in serious need of a TE but they do need an upgrade. They need a playmaker that that position and right now none of the guys on the roster have proven they’re that guy. That’s why I think they will go heave at that position.

This is the I want them to draft though. If they did and are able to trade for Quinn, their DL would be scary good!

https://youtu.be/uy2Xq5D5VA8
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #4646
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Witten is nothing more than a stop gap. Is Gathers back, I thought he was a FA? Either way he’s terrible and won’t make the team. Jarwin is definitely the favorite to be the starter and we still don’t know much about Schultz. He might have something he might not. They are not in serious need of a TE but they do need an upgrade. They need a playmaker that that position and right now none of the guys on the roster have proven they’re that guy. That’s why I think they will go heave at that position.

This is the I want them to draft though. If they did and are able to trade for Quinn, their DL would be scary good!

https://youtu.be/uy2Xq5D5VA8
Gathers will be an UFA after the 2019 season. I checked Spotrac just to make sure. Keep in mind too about Gathers he was active most of the 16 regular season games last year. He didn't provide anything but he was thrown to a few times by Dak.

He dropped 1 pass & Dak missed him wide open a couple of times as well by throwing the ball into the ground once & overthrowing him another time. He was a basketball player @ Baylor so his football skills are behind. He does have some skills & athletic ability but I'm like you about him. I don't think he will ever be a contributor as a player.

It would be really nice to get Lawrence but a draft day trade would be the only way probably. I'm afraid we would give up too much though to try & get him or say another draft prospect like Montez Sweat. I think Quinn would be a better option for a trade because we wouldn't need to give up quite as much.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #4647
Pro

Quote:
Gathers will be an UFA after the 2019 season. I checked Spotrac just to make sure. Keep in mind too about Gathers he was active most of the 16 regular season games last year. He didn't provide anything but he was thrown to a few times by Dak.

He dropped 1 pass & Dak missed him wide open a couple of times as well by throwing the ball into the ground once & overthrowing him another time. He was a basketball player @ Baylor so his football skills are behind. He does have some skills & athletic ability but I'm like you about him. I don't think he will ever be a contributor as a player.

It would be really nice to get Lawrence but a draft day trade would be the only way probably. I'm afraid we would give up too much though to try & get him or say another draft prospect like Montez Sweat. I think Quinn would be a better option for a trade because we wouldn't need to give up quite as much.

They honestly wouldn’t have to give up that much to move into the bottom of the 1st round where Dexter Lawrence is being projected. Honestly their 2nd and one of their 4th round picks should be able to get it done. Dexter Lawrence is being projected in the low 20’s to end of the 1st round.

Can’t remember (and too lazy to look) if I said it here but I really think they should consider trading Byron Jones in this draft. If you really want Montez Sweat I think Byron Jones could get you high enough to draft him. If they are are not able to trade for Quinn (or even if they are) they could actually still trade up and draft both Sweat and Lawrence. It would likely cost them Jones, this years 2nd/4th, and a 4th next year. They would be adding Sweat, Lawrence, and Quinn. It would leave them thin in the secondary this year but with Richard coaching the secondary I have no doubt that they could draft a guy in the middle rounds and be able to replace him (Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round).

Their DL would be extremely scary good (especially with a resigned DLaw). And with Jaylon and LVE playing behind them they would be able to dominate the league.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 AM   #4648
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
They honestly wouldn’t have to give up that much to move into the bottom of the 1st round where Dexter Lawrence is being projected. Honestly their 2nd and one of their 4th round picks should be able to get it done. Dexter Lawrence is being projected in the low 20’s to end of the 1st round.

Can’t remember (and too lazy to look) if I said it here but I really think they should consider trading Byron Jones in this draft. If you really want Montez Sweat I think Byron Jones could get you high enough to draft him. If they are are not able to trade for Quinn (or even if they are) they could actually still trade up and draft both Sweat and Lawrence. It would likely cost them Jones, this years 2nd/4th, and a 4th next year. They would be adding Sweat, Lawrence, and Quinn. It would leave them thin in the secondary this year but with Richard coaching the secondary I have no doubt that they could draft a guy in the middle rounds and be able to replace him (Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round).

Their DL would be extremely scary good (especially with a resigned DLaw). And with Jaylon and LVE playing behind them they would be able to dominate the league.
The only thing that I kind of question in your post is in bold above. I say kind of because even though Byron Jones has been pretty good he's not continued to get better after being named to the Pro Bowl 2 seasons ago.

I thought he got burned quite a bit last season. He did make a few pass breakups but he also had some PI's as well. He really looked like a Top 5-10 CB in the NFL 2 years ago but he fell off last season.

Of course, we played him @ Safety when we brought him to Dallas. He really didn't have to adjust though because CB was what he played in college mostly. I don't know if I would give up on Jones yet but if we can trade him to get a top notch DL then I'm all for it.

Some interesting news for the preseason: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...on-date-hawaii
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 03-22-2019 at 04:06 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »