Home

Bear Den 2007-2008 (Official Chicago Bears Discussion thread)

This is a discussion on Bear Den 2007-2008 (Official Chicago Bears Discussion thread) within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #73
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Bear Den 2007-2008 (Official Chicago Bears Discussion thread)

BOURBONNAIS - The Bears made sure Darwin Walker wasn't going anywhere any time soon.

Walker, a veteran defensive tackle acquired from Buffalo on Sunday, agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract Tuesday that includes a little more than $8 million in signing and roster bonuses and escalators if certain incentives are met, according to agent Albert Irby.

as long as they have money for tommie, i can care less...
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #74
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbz708
BOURBONNAIS - The Bears made sure Darwin Walker wasn't going anywhere any time soon.

Walker, a veteran defensive tackle acquired from Buffalo on Sunday, agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract Tuesday that includes a little more than $8 million in signing and roster bonuses and escalators if certain incentives are met, according to agent Albert Irby.

as long as they have money for tommie, i can care less...
Don't worry, Tommy is not going anywhere. Good move though. Jerry is the man!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Clayton in Camp

Quote:
So far, Chicago's offense has been the best thrill ride in the summer tour of training camps.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Five observations from Chicago Bears training camp, gleaned from the team's practices:

1. Inside insurance
Dusty Dvoracek missed the entire 2006 season because of a foot injury, but opened camp as the team's starting nose tackle alongside Tommie Harris. A third-round pick a year ago, Dvoracek had that Chris Hovan-look to him as he lined up. In his early days with the Minnesota Vikings, Hovan was a hard-working overachiever who maxed out his size in the weight room. It was hard to envision the Bears putting all their faith in a youngster with durability issues. That's why the trade for Darwin Walker of the Bills made plenty of sense.

Midway through the first padded night practice, Dvoracek needed assistance from the trainer to get a wrap around his calf. It was only a cramp, but still highlighted the importance of Walker's acquisition. The Bears have lost Tank Johnson, Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone from their defensive tackle rotation, and Tommie Harris is coming off a hamstring injury that ended his 2006 season early. Walker is a solid inside player who should provide a little size in stopping the run. The happiest Bear is probably Brian Urlacher. If the Bears have trouble at defensive tackle, guards or center can get to him. The Bears also added short, but tough defensive tackle Anthony Adams from the 49ers.

2. Happy returns
Tommie Harris is back to his dominating ways. His injury last season meant the Bears lost one of the league's most dominating interior-line players, someone who could have made an impact against the Colts in the Super Bowl. So far, Harris has looked as strong as ever. The other day, the offense tried to toss a wide screen to the left, but Harris took off from his spot as the three-technique tackle and moved through offensive bodies as if they weren't even there to make the play. Harris (6-foot-3, 295 pounds) has great straight-ahead speed and is usually unblockable.

Now that cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher are signed, and Lance Briggs is back after signing his franchise tender, Harris is the next big contract extension the organization will study. He has two years left on his contract, so he's not going anywhere, but the price of defensive tackles is going up. Cory Redding of the Lions got $7 million a year, and Harris will command more than that. Many think his signing bonus in an extension would be around $30 million. The Bears will pay that if he returns to his Pro Bowl form.

3. Ready to carry load
Cedric Benson has a different running style than Thomas Jones, but he should have a great season. Jones ran for 1,330 yards in 2005 and 1,210 yards in 2006. Benson has the potential to better that. He's trained hard this offseason, and Benson is lighter and quicker. He worked at strengthening his stomach muscles in order to give him better balance and power when maneuvering through holes.

Several times in the recent night practice, Benson took an inside hand off and blasted through the middle of the defense for a long gain. Once he gets past the initial wave of tacklers, Benson will compress his upper body around the ball. He explained that his biggest problem in sharing the job was a lack of continuity. He's a runner who excels in the second halves of game after wearing out defenders with his physical style early on. For two years, he'd get on the field for a series or two, then return to the bench. It drove him crazy and prevented him from getting into any kind of rhythm running the ball.

4. The future is now
Veterans were elated when Lance Briggs reported to camp Sunday after signing his one-year franchise tender. Briggs is one of the most dependable weakside linebackers in football. He has the speed to cover tight ends or backs out of the backfield, and the tenacity and speed to chase down running backs. He's a perfect fit in the team's Cover 2 scheme, which depends on the weakside linebacker to be a playmaker. But the future still looks bright at linebacker, even though Briggs is expected to leave after the season.

The future is Jamar Williams (6-foot-0, 237 pounds), a fourth-round pick last year. Williams played weakside linebacker at Arizona State and was one of the main playmakers on the defense. Although he is a little short, Williams has excellent speed and height doesn't matter in a Cover 2 defense. While Briggs was away from the team, Williams had the entire offseason to prepare for a starting role next year. Another player to watch in the preseason is third-round pick Michael Okwo. Both will be auditioning for Briggs' job.

5. Safety in numbers
Chris Harris and Danieal Manning started at safety against the Colts in the Super Bowl, but enter camp as backups. The starting safeties are Mike Brown and Adam Archuleta. This is the healthiest Archuleta has looked in years. Two years ago, he debated whether to play football because of back problems. He signed with the Redskins last year, but didn't fit into their defense. The Bears picked him up in a trade because Lovie Smith got the best out of him when they were together in St. Louis. He still has great range.

The Bears defense loves having Brown back because he's a leader and a playmaker. He has scored seven touchdowns as a defender during his eight-year career. But injuries have plagued him. He's missed 28 games over the past three years. Regardless, the team is loaded at safety. Manning, who started for the Bears last year, could start on most teams in the league and can also help out in slot coverage
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #77
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
I am definitely pumped about this upcoming year. I know what to expect of the defense but I can't wait to see the offense and see how they do. I love the Olsen pick...he'll be a nice addition...kid is a beast. The league will soon find that out. Also, I'm definitely stoked about seeing Hester on offense. I would hate to be any guy trying to tackle him in the open field. Lastly, I hope Grossman improves...man I'm really rooting for that guy to succeed. He took a lot of crap last year. I haven't been this pumped about the Bears in a long time.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #78
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Have y'all checked out Mark Anderson LATELY!!!...Dudes a freakin' BEAST!!!
Anderson looks like he's added some muscle mass
Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #79
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Have y'all checked out Mark Anderson LATELY!!!...Dudes a freakin' BEAST!!!
Anderson looks like he's added some muscle mass
I come to a Bears thread looking for NFC North info, and I somehow end up at a Warchant clone
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #80
All Star

poster's Arena

I too am excited about the O's potential. Just have a feeling that Rex will bounce back strong. I wish it was September baby!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »