Home

Washington Redskins Official Thread

This is a discussion on Washington Redskins Official Thread within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Washington Redskins Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I guess L.T and Mr. Wayne and Mr. Edwards are on their way out real soon huh man.
L.T. is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #42
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Then so are Mr. Westbrook and Mr. Johnson(LJ) and Mr. Barber and Mr. Portis and Mr. Lynch. Want me to keep going?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #43
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

redskins.com is reporting that Erasmus James practiced for the first time today.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 08-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Then so are Mr. Westbrook and Mr. Johnson(LJ) and Mr. Barber and Mr. Portis and Mr. Lynch. Want me to keep going?
Lynch isn't, nor is Barber, but Portis, Johnson, LDT, and Westbrook are on the way out. Westbrook is in the best position because he started late, but the other 3 have some serious mileage on them. LDT, Johnson, and Westbrook will turn 30 in 2009, and Portis has been ridden very hard behind a mediocre offensive line in Washington. Portis and LJ have the biggest disadvantages because their lines are much weaker than they were a few years ago, but LT has been ridden very hard up to this point and has been very lucky with injuries. I'll say that by the start of the 2010 season, 1 of those will be off the team completely after injury, 2 will be splitting time, and 1 will have another year as a starter. With the injuries and the quality coming from college, no team needs to be playing 30 year olds with 6-10 years of starting experience.

Time is running out isn't the same as on their way out soon. You have generally 3-5 years as a starter before you're really slowing down. Thomlinson is lucky because he has the best run blocking OL in the world which will prolong his run a little longer, but especially with backs, you're generally not improving after 3-5 years.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #45
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Quote:
Portis has been ridden very hard behind a mediocre offensive line in Washington
They've actually been one of the best Run Blocking O-Lines in the league that past few seasons and mediocre is FAR from what I would describe them. Hell when healthy, they're easily a Top 10 O-Line. So if anything, Portis has one of the biggest advantages with that line. Plus, if one of the starters happen to go down, they have good depth on their bench to come in and hold down the spot til one of them comes back(see 2007 season)

2010 is a little too early I think. Most, if not ALL of them should still be starters on their teams considering the fact that most of them just signed brand new contract extensions UNLESS their production starts to drop DRAMATICALLY, but I just don't see that happening with either of these players mentioned.

And you're right, no team needs to be playing 30 year old RBs with the quality of talent coming out of college, but seeing how Running Back is one of the, if not THE hardest position to learn, how many are coming out and are ready to go off the break? Not that many.

You look at backs like Portis, Edge, LT, and even Warrick Dunn. Backs who have been starting in this league the last 5 years and none of them don't look like their slowing down a bit.

I just think you're overestimating the lifespan of you being a starter in the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
They've actually been one of the best Run Blocking O-Lines in the league that past few seasons and mediocre is FAR from what I would describe them. Hell when healthy, they're easily a Top 10 O-Line. So if anything, Portis has one of the biggest advantages with that line. Plus, if one of the starters happen to go down, they have good depth on their bench to come in and hold down the spot til one of them comes back(see 2007 season)

Washington's line has consistently been the most overrated thing in the NFL short of Roy Williams and Colts skill players. They're solid, but the praise they get is a joke compared to their actual skill level.

Quote:
but seeing how Running Back is one of the, if not THE hardest position to learn, how many are coming out and are ready to go off the break?
Now you're just ****ing with us, right? Running back is hands down the easiest position to fill in the NFL.

Quote:
You look at backs like Portis, Edge, LT, and even Warrick Dunn. Backs who have been starting in this league the last 5 years and none of them don't look like their slowing down a bit.
If Portis, Edge, and Dunn don't look like they're slowing down, then you never saw them play earlier.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #47
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

LOL You got it man. I'll just white flag it from here.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #48
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
For the RB situation, Mason will be on the practice squad, and barring a trade or injury to Portis, Betts, or Rock, he'll be picked up by someone else next year. RB is way to easy to fill to keep such a marginal player like Mason on the team. He's not anywhere close to Portis or Betts as a back, nor is he as good as Rock at the return spot. He's cute and all, but he's a preseason running back. With our old*** OL, fragile WRs, and a defense, I'd prefer a backup there than a running back who won't contribute.
Quote:
Will the Redskins keep four running backs on the final roster?

Marcus Mason can't worry about that.
It's not something he can control. He is focused on performing to the best of his ability in the Redskins' final two preseason games.

After that, all he can do is let coaches make their decision.
So, let's ask assistant head coach-running backs Stump Mitchell.
Will the Redskins keep four running backs on the final roster?

"We have some quality running backs here and Marcus Mason is one of them," Mitchell said. "Hopefully he will be around here, but if not, I think he will make somebody's team. I think he has a good chance right here, and we'll see after the next two games."

Mason leads the Redskins' ground game with 233 yards on 43 carries, an impressive 5.4 yards-per-carry average. Mason also has four catches for 22 yards and a touchdown.

Clinton Portis is entrenched as the starter, with Ladell Betts the backup.

Both have proven they can rush for 1,000-plus yards in the NFL.
It would appear Mason is competing with Rock Cartwright for the final roster spot.

Cartwright had a 73-yard run in last Saturday's preseason game against the New York Jets. He is also a special teams standout, returning kickoffs and excelling in kick coverage.

Given all that, it's likely that Cartwright has earned a roster spot again.
Mason has been through this before. As a rookie, he earned an opening day roster spot on the Redskins last year, but after one week he was signed to the team's practice squad.

To stick with the Redskins this year, Mason knows he must follow Cartwright's approach and play well on special teams.

"My main focus right now is special teams," Mason said. "I need to make plays on special teams."

He is kicking himself for his gaffe in the second preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. He returned the opening kickoff 30 yards, but a tackler poked the ball loose for a fumble.

"It's a major issue, not only with but also with him," head coach Jim Zorn said. "To put the ball back in their hands at the beginning of the game--you can see how important it is to have a fast start.

"To his credit, he stayed in the game mentally, secured the ball the rest of the game and really made no physical errors as that game went on."

Mason finished the Buffalo game with 80 yards on 16 carries.
He recorded 55 yards on nine carries in the Jets game.

For Mason to make the final roster, the Redskins would likely have to settle for less depth at another position, possibly offensive line or maybe even safety.

"He's right in the mix," Zorn said. "There's no question he has created a very difficult situation. He is what every player is supposed to do--to make it so hard for us to cut him."

Even if Mason doesn't make the Redskins' final roster, he hopes to make a good enough impression to sign on with another NFL team.

NFL scouts have attended Redskins games this preseason with the intent of watching Mason.

"I hope other teams are watching me," he said. "That's my goal, to play somewhere. I really want to be here, though. I have a good relationship with the coaches and players."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »