Home

San Diego Chargers Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on San Diego Chargers Off-Season Thread within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: 2008 San Diego Chargers Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli311
Buddy Nix, the San Diego Chargers’ assistant general manager and director of player personnel, announced his retirement today following 15 seasons in the NFL, including the last seven in San Diego.

Link
His replacement spent the last 3 years in Miami. Why the hell would we hire him?

"Mueller brings 22 years of NFL experience to the Chargers. He most recently served as the general manager of Miami Dolphins, where he spent three seasons."
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

i heard Jeremy Newberry may be signing soon with SD as well

Last edited by franch1se; 04-30-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelverin
His replacement spent the last 3 years in Miami. Why the hell would we hire him?

"Mueller brings 22 years of NFL experience to the Chargers. He most recently served as the general manager of Miami Dolphins, where he spent three seasons."
There are rumors floating about Nix being ousted like Marty was, but they are letting him "retire" instead. AJ really does seem to have a dictator feel to him.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

For any of you who are Insiders on ESPN, there was a REALLY good article by Joyner today about the top corners in the league, and based off the numbers they used, Jammer was ranked #2 and Cro was #8. Meanwhile, at the bottom of the list, Florence was #8 of the 10 worst. Here's what he had to say about our guys:

Quote:
Antonio Cromartie's appearance on this list proves he is more than just a ball hawk, but the most surprising Charger on this list has to be Quentin Jammer. After a so-so first few years in the league coverage-wise, Jammer has stepped up his game big-time the past couple of years.

When I first saw Jammer's and Cromartie's vertical pass numbers, I thought they might have been that good in large part because of the Chargers' safety play. But if Drayton Florence could do this poorly vertically, the safeties couldn't have been that good. Florence's historical numbers prior to 2007 were much better than his numbers last year, and that has to be what Jacksonville was banking on when it signed him this offseason.
Link
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #21
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

This was posted on another site today, but it needs to be shared. Sarge is one of the classiest men that I have ever met, and I'm sure that at least a few of you have been to a Bolt Pride tailgate.

Have just been made aware of a situation that has been in play for a couple of months.

Some of you may know Sarge from Bolt Pride. If you know him, you will agree that he is one of the true good guys you will ever meet. He is driven by the Bolts, Bolt Pride, and most of all his wife "The General" and his two girls.

I can't do the whole story justice in a thread and please forgive me, Sarge, if if have omitted something.

In January, his wife discovered she had to have a mastectomy due to cancer. The surgery was a success and the next portion of her treatment was due to be chemotherapy to ensure all was clean.

She had also been having severe headaches for quite awhile and after the initial surgery, the doctors recommended an MRI. It was then discovered she had a brain tumor.

She has recently had surgery to remove the half baseball sized tumor. What would have been a 6 hour surgery turned into almost a 12 hour surgery.

She is recovering now and there has been quite a bit of hospital time, but is now about to undergo the original round of chemo to take care of business. It is a 6 treatment schedule.

He is keeping upbeat and told me the Lord has given him an obstacle. He explained that there was two ways he was going to help his wife get thru the ordeal--prayers and laughter.

Sarge is looking for every avenue he can to keep a prayer chain going. Please keep your thoughts and prayers with the family as you go forward in the next few months. With your help, maybe The General can win her fight.

Keep your strength. My prayers are with you all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 15

Chargers lock up Castillo until 2014. Health issues aside, the guy is one of the best 3-4 ends in the game. I would love to see what he could do if he was able to stay healthy an entire season.

I know some people don't like AJ, but the guy keeps his studs in house and drafts very well, and at the same time doesn't hamstring the organization with huge free-agent deals on guys that may not pan out.

I would assume Merriman and depending on how Vincent Jackson performs are next on the list for extensions.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
Fear the Friar

chilli311's Arena

There's been some rumors about Gates possibly starting the season on the PUP list, but Turner doesn't think he'll have to. He's got 6 more weeks to heal up, and even if he misses a couple games, we should be fine with Chandler, Manu, and Naanee.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli311
There's been some rumors about Gates possibly starting the season on the PUP list, but Turner doesn't think he'll have to. He's got 6 more weeks to heal up, and even if he misses a couple games, we should be fine with Chandler, Manu, and Naanee.
Don't kid yourself. If Gates is out, we're in trouble. He opens up the run game and the pass game, and is pivotal in the red zone.

He's such a unique talent that causes so many matchup problems, you can't just say, well if we miss him for 6 weeks we'll be fine, because he simply can't be replaced.

That said, I sure hope Naanee gets more touches this year. Every time he touched the ball, he made a play it seemed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »