Home

2008 Chicago Bears Den

This is a discussion on 2008 Chicago Bears Den within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: 2008 Chicago Bears Den

The Bears have had "game managing" QB's for......oh ever. They continue to sell this bs line about a great defense, solid running game, special teams, and a "game managing" QB. And this town still falls for it. Always have. That along with "Bear weather". RUFF RUFF RUFF. And of course the 4-12 season.

For the Bears to win, everything has to go right every game. Orton not is the lowest carrer QB rating of every starter in the NFL. Enjoy!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #50
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Jeez fellaz, the season ain't even started yet & we're doomed already? lets be just a LITTLE optimistic here...damn.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Jeez fellaz, the season ain't even started yet & we're doomed already? lets be just a LITTLE optimistic here...damn.
Colts 62
Bears....10? How's that for optimism?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #52
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
I swear, sometimes its rougher being a Bears fan than a Cubs fan

When we do get a solid team put together, I swear it always feels like a 1 and done scenario. How come we can never maintain a long run like the Pack. Cowboys, Niners, Steelers etc...etc. Even the 85 team, which should have at least won 2 SBowls, under-achieved after that SB win.
That's because of the QB issue that this team has been suffering from for years. The Bears haven't been able to find an All-Pro QB, let alone a franchise QB, for ages. Their last franchise QB was Sid Luckman. Their last All-Pro QB was Jim McMahon who made his only appearance his career in 1985. Most Bears fans realize that McMahon was no franchise QB. He wasn't even an All-Pro QB but his appearance in 85 was the result of him riding the coat tails of the Superbowl Shuffle.

If anyone knows football, the most important position on offense is the QB. Especially when your talking about making a championship run. Your QB needs to be adequate if your serious about winning the Superbowl. Your QB cannot be anything less than that or your just fooling yourselves into thinking your a championship team no matter who's around you.

NOW, if your talking about maintaining a long run like the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers and Steelers then you need a franchise QB. As with the previous teams that you just mentioned, when they made their runs they had franchise QB's at the helm. If the Bears were serious about making a run like that they need to make finding a franchise QB priority 1.

I remember talking about this before the draft and how people argued me up and down on how offensive line was more important than finding a franchise QB. And just to say this one more time, I'm not saying that the offensive line is not important. But fixing this line is going to take more work than finding a franchise QB. Neither of the task is easy if you have inadequate coaching and scouting staffs like the Bears do but if you give me a choice between a potential all-pro lineman and potential all-pro QB then I'm taking the all-pro QB.

I was probably one of the few people who thought the Bears draft last year wasn't good and so far I might be right. Most Bears fans was screaming for a lineman they got their wish...one who's not going to take the field until November.

The Bears should have fixed this line through free agency like they always do. They've been successful in some years when they pick up lineman in the free agency. The Superbowl team of two years ago had 4 out of the 5 starting offensive lineman acquired through free agency. The Bears history of drafting O-lineman with the exception of Kruetz has been a joke. HECK, the history of drafting offensive talent period has been a joke. They should have just let Briggs walk and use that money to sign a tackle and/or a guard and that line would have been much better. BUT YET, we get to see the same stiffs we saw last year.

Absolutely Pathetic!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #53
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

Again Peyton Manning goes 6-10 with this team. Is there a better QB than him? Playmaker's may be most important aspect of Madden, but not real life. Please tell me who was the franchise QB in last years draft? QB's need to be developed. They need to be protected. You can draft a QB in the first round every year for the Bears and they'd get killed.

Building a line is a committment that most fans and GM's don't wanna make. The great teams all had great lines. 49'ers, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Redskins. Hell the Redskins proved what you could do with a great line and a new QB every three years winning the super bowl.

Most people just read box scores though and let the media explain things to them, rather then watch a game closely and figure out what's really going on. It's easier that way.

I would like to celebrate the promotion of Kyle Orton though with my favorite Kyle Orton pic...

Last edited by Jistic; 08-19-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #54
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

That looks like Orton is pleasuring Jimmy Clausen ( ND QB )......

Is that him Jistic????
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #55
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Again Peyton Manning goes 6-10 with this team. Is there a better QB than him? Playmaker's may be most important aspect of Madden, but not real life. Please tell me who was the franchise QB in last years draft? QB's need to be developed. They need to be protected. You can draft a QB in the first round every year for the Bears and they'd get killed.

Building a line is a committment that most fans and GM's don't wanna make. The great teams all had great lines. 49'ers, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Redskins. Hell the Redskins proved what you could do with a great line and a new QB every three years winning the super bowl.

Most people just read box scores though and let the media explain things to them, rather then watch a game closely and figure out what's really going on. It's easier that way.

I would like to celebrate the promotion of Kyle Orton though with my favorite Kyle Orton pic...

I'd say Manning goes 8-8 with this team. If the QB combination of Grossman/Griese/Orton won 7 games last year then I'd say Manning wins one more game because he's better than all three QB's put together.

And your right, Manning wouldn't be Super-QB like he is in Indy but he does a much better job than any of the three QB's we got on the roster now.

There is an approach you take when your building an O-line and I just think the Bears are taking the wrong approach. Building through the draft is not a strong suit for the Bears. I'd say go with the formula that has worked in the past and that's building through free agency. Now I now that sound unorthadox but what else can you do if your the current management? It seems to have helped the Browns last year who build their line through free agency.

Yes, the Packers, 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers had great offensive lines. But so did the Bears in the 80's, the Chiefs in the 90's and the Steelers in the 90's. Those teams had excellent O-lines but didn't have a franchise QB. Won lots of games but were playoff failures. Bears were suppose to be the team of the 80's but they didn't have Joe Montana. The Chiefs and Steelers are two of the top 3 teams that's won the most games in the 90's but neither one during that time had a QB named Aikman, Favre, Elway or Young.

A franchise QB with a terrible offensive line is useless. But in the same sense, a great O-line without a franchise QB cannot be a dynasty. And your argument of the Redskins cannot hold true to this theory because their championships were scattered throughout the 80's and early 90's. To me, a dynasty is winning two or more championships in a span of 5 straight seasons. And they did have Joe Theisman who was an all-pro QB during his prime. And they had Mark Rypien in the late 90's who was an MVP QB in their Superbowl year of 91. I'd give you the fact that they did win in 87 without an franchise or all-pro QB. But there are a lot of Superbowl teams scattered through time of that nature. But what happens to them after their Superbowl year? Normally, it's back to mediocrity for them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #56
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

What came first, the chicken or the egg...right?

Didn't we have some guy who was franchise running back who ran all over the nation with a horrible o-line back in the 70's. I think it was 77 he avg liked what 130 yrds a game. Now I would figure that if a true " franchise" RB can do that with no O-line or passing game to speak of, then why can't we find a true franchise QB who can do that with a little bit better O-Line....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »