Home

*****The Official 2010 Oakland Raiders Season Thread*****

This is a discussion on *****The Official 2010 Oakland Raiders Season Thread***** within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: *****The Official 2010 Oakland Raiders Season Thread*****

Kirk Morrison traded for another got damn WR? SMH.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
Kirk Morrison traded for another got damn WR? SMH.
Ugh...why God?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #19
Banned

Jason Campbell to Oakland for a 4th Round Pick in the 2012 draft.

Last edited by Piderman; 04-25-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
Banned

Russel will never take a snap as a Raider QB ever. Great off-season move right there. Let's make this Campbell's team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Why didn't you let me know you had this going on over here. I tried it last year, but no one seemed interested so I stopped. I'll be sure to contribute.

In light of today's news, Ibabuzz has created the top 10 Raiders busts of all time. They are:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...me/#more-10912

Top Raiders draft busts of all-time

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, May 6th, 2010 at 3:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A list of the top 10 first-round busts of all time since the start of the merged draft in 1970:

1_JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU, 2007 (No. 1 overall)

The new standard-bearer for his position, league-wide. Al Davis loves tradition, but this isn’t the kind of history he had in mind.

Who else was available: WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech (Detroit), No. 2; RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma (Minnesota), No. 7; LB Patrick Willis, Mississippi (San Francisco), No. 11.

2_Todd Marinovich, QB, USC, 1991 (No. 24 overall)

Probably unfair to rate a No. 24 pick this high, but take a look at who went No. 33. Marinovich was beset by drug issues which plagued him long after he was out of the league.

Who else was available: DT Ted Washington, Louisville (Buffalo) No. 25; QB Brett Favre, Southern Mississippi (Atlanta), No. 33.

3_Bob Buczkowski, DE, Pitt, 1986 (No. 24 overall)

Played in a grand total of two games and had one sack for the Raiders in 1987. Was arrested for running a prostitution ring in 2005.

Who else was available: RB Neal Anderson, Florida (Chicago), No. 27; LB Pepper Johnson, Ohio State (New York Giants), No. 51.

4_John Clay, OT, Missouri, 1987 (No. 15 overall)

Started nine games as a rookie, and the Raiders shipped him to San Diego along with two high draft choices for Jim Lachey. Clay played one year and was out of the league. The Raiders eventually sent Lachey, a dominant left tackle, to Washington for Jay Schroeder in one of their worst all-time trades.

Who else was available: OT Harris Barton, North Carolina, (49ers), No. 22; QB Jim Harbaugh, Michigan (Chicago), No. 26.

5_Patrick Bates, safety, Texas A&M, 1993, (No. 12 overall)

The 1993 version of Taylor Mays, Bates looked the part, but walked away from the Raiders the week before their season opener for reasons never fully explained.

Who else was available: RB Robert Smith, Ohio State (Minnesota), No. 21; DT Dana Stubblefield, Kansas (49ers), No. 26.

6_Matt Stinchcomb, tackle, Georgia, 1999 (No. 18 overall)

Considered a `safe’ pick for a team needing a tackle, Stinchcomb arrived with a serious shoulder injury. He was unsuccessfully tried as a starter at tackle, center and guard.

Who else was available: CB Antoine Winfield, Ohio State (Minnesota), No. 23; DE Patrick Kerney, Virginia (Atlanta), No. 29

7_Marc Wilson, quarterback, BYU, 1980 (No. 15 overall)

Measure his 31-19 won-loss record against Raiders QBs of the last seven years and he’s a wild success. In the era of great Raiders teams, he was reviled.

Who else was available: WR Art Monk, Syracuse (Washington), No. 18; RB Joe Cribbs, Auburn, Buffalo (No. 29)

No. 8_Derrick Gibson, safety, Florida State (No. 28 overall)

Another look-the-part safety, who, like Bates, didn’t have the instinct or coverage ability to excel. Coach Jon Gruden wanted and scouts wanted Todd Heap.

Who else was available: WR Reggie Wayne, Miami (Indianapolis), No. 30; TE Todd Heap, Arizona State (Baltimore), No. 31; QB Drew Brees, Purdue (San Diego), No. 32; DE Kyle VandenBosch, Nebraska (Arizona), No. 34.

No. 9_Phillip Buchanon, cornerback, Miami (No. 17 overall)

Provided big plays and touchdowns as a cornerback and return man, but gave up even more, then mysteriously lost his punt return ability. Was eventually traded to Houston.

Who else was available: S Ed Reed, Miami (Baltimore), No. 22; DE Charles Grant, Georgia (New Orleans) No. 25.

No. 10_To be determined . . . but with Russell gone, the pressure is on running back Darren McFadden (No. 4 overall in 2008) and wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (No. 7 in 2009) to perform.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Banned

I remember the 2009 thread. We didn't have much because, well I mean same crap as last year I suppose. Feel free to update as I do.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #23
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

everything will be fine when al davis [eventually] steps down from his day-2-day meddling with the team . till then , i'm just biding my time
Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #24
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Looks like DHB is finally coming around.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...-come-to-pass/

Quote:
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 at 2:05 pm in Oakland Raiders.

You’ve been reading in this space for the better part of the last four years about the worst passing game in the NFL.

The Raiders’ in inability to catch the ball was exceeded only by their ineffectiveness when it came to throwing it.

Poor timing. Bad routes. More footballs on the ground than eggs on Easter Sunday.

I’ve written about it for the last four training camps as well as most OTAs and minicamps. Then the Raiders would live down to expectations and show that practice does indeed make for imperfections.

So it’s worth taking note when things go well, simply because it hasn’t happened that often.

Yes, Wednesday’s practice was a mere “organized team activity.” No pads, no hard contact. But that never stopped the Raiders from having bad practices before.

With quarterback Jason Campbell getting most of the work (the company line will be about training camp competition, but the only way he doesn’t start is because of injury), the Raiders, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson challenging his offense and talking trash to the defense, actually put a legitimate NFL passing game on the field.

(Quick admission _ my car broke down close to home, and I had to get it towed to a shop. Got back home and took another vehicle to practice and arrived late, but was told I saw most of the team sessions).

“I’ve seen how far we’ve come as an offense, and we’re much better and guys are developing,” tight end Zach Miller said. “I mean, just watching him, Heyward-Bey has been phenomenal out here. He’s matured a lot and I’m really looking forward to seeing what kind of season he’s going to have.”

Indeed, Heyward-Bey was the best receiver on the field Wednesday (Chaz Schilens remains a spectator recovering from foot surgery). He caught everything thrown his way and if he even bobbled the ball once, I didn’t see it.

Most of the routes were shallow to medium depth _ he never got well downfield for a catch. But he accelerated into shallow crosses and then smoothly turned up field for gains. He made a catch on Nnamdi Asomugha and left him in the dust with a spin move for extra yards.

“Today was a really good practice for him,” Asomugha said. “That’s the best practice I’ve seen from him here. Last week we went through OTAs and he was doing a little better, I guess, there was some inconsistency.

“But today was a good day for him to build off of and see how he comes out tomorrow. It’s days like this you want to keep stringing along. You don’t want to fall back after a day like this. He was catching the ball. I don’t know that he dropped a ball. Caught maybe eight or nine, so that was good for him.”

After one red zone score, Heyward-Bey was greeted in the end zone by Louis Murphy and Tony Stewart for a three-way celebration.

Heyward-Bey, whose style is to let the failures roll off his back, sounds pretty much the same after success. Not a lot of emotion or I-told-you-sos.

“We’re just competing out here,” Heyward-Bey said. “That’s something Hue has brought in, competing against each other, wide receivers, O-line, running backs, going at the DBs. It’s fun. We have a good practice, we let them know. They have a good practice, they let us know.”

Said coach Tom Cable: “Darrius was really on today. But I thought a lot of things went in to that. I thought the quarterbacks threw him a lot of balls on time. He caught the ball well, made a move with after the catch, which I thought was most impressive. It was a very good day for him.”

More news, notes and quotes:

– Players who were present but were not practicing because of injury or illness included defensive end Matt Shaughnessy, wide receiver Phil Hubbard, linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba, Schilens and quarterback Bruce Gradkowski.

Richard Seymour was not present, having not signed his exclusive franchise tender. Tommy Kelly and Chris Johnson were not present and were “excused,” according to Cable, assuming there is such a thing in a voluntary workout.

– As a way of putting the pressure on his receivers, Jackson is directly challenging defenders _ and a frequent target is Asomugha.

“Every day and every snap,” Asomugha said. “I think I’m his enemy for some reason, his nemesis or something. I played him in Cincinnati a few times. I played him in Baltimore. We have fun with it. It is fun, fun for him. He likes doing it. Me, I just tune him out.”

Jackson rode Asomugha particularly hard when the less-than-mercurial Luke Lawton got around him following a swing pass reception from Campbell.

Asomugha can see the method in the madness.

“They need the confidence to say they’re going to go out and catch the ball every single snap. And he’s got the confidence so I guess if you can say it enough times, it can kind of leak into the receiver’s minds, too,” Asomugha said.”

– Miller on Jackson: “He’ll call them out _ even where the ball is going sometimes. He’s challenging our offense to be aggressive, be dominating. He won’t accept anything else.”

– Murphy on Jackson: He’s going to tell the defense where the ball is going and it forces us to make a play. It puts a little pressure on us. It’s great, man.”

– Interesting Asomugha comment on the development of the offense: “I don’t think it’s the new plays. We always had all these plays. It’s just that now we’re running them. Last year they were taking more time on their basic plays whereas now he’s going straight into everything and it’s helping them out.”

Translation _ JaMarcus Russell’s lack of dedication resulted caused the Raiders to dumb down the system.

– Bruce Campbell, the fourth-round pick at Maryland who played left tackle in college, conceded his transition to right guard (for now) has been a struggle.

“I was a left tackle, now I’m playing right guard,” Campbell said. “It’s a totally different experience. I’m used to space on the outside. Now I’m on the inside with a lot of help. People would say it’s easier, but I don’t see it being easier right now.”

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »