Home

Jacksonville Jaguars

This is a discussion on Jacksonville Jaguars within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #81
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Jacksonville Jaguars

I'm gonna stand by my comments earlier in this thread that David Garrard should have been this team's QB. I know there were reports about him losing the team and perhaps not playing well in preseason, and maybe that was the case.

But if you plug in 2010 Garrard onto this team, it's a division and playoff contender.

The defense is looking great, the new safety duo has been key. Pos was a great pickup.

They've barley blitzed all season, but just sitting back and playing cover 2 has worked because the coverage has been great.

Sunday against New Orleans, they showed some nice blitz packages and they actually worked. This is the first Jags game in probably 2 years where I felt like they could dial up some pressure and have some success. The Daryl Smith INT was great because it was the same look they showed earlier, except Smith dropped into coverage.

So, I think it's a wasted season of great defense. Gabbert may be good some day, but he's holding the team back at this point and if they were getting stellar QB play, they would be a much better team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #82
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I'm gonna stand by my comments earlier in this thread that David Garrard should have been this team's QB. I know there were reports about him losing the team and perhaps not playing well in preseason, and maybe that was the case.

But if you plug in 2010 Garrard onto this team, it's a division and playoff contender.

The defense is looking great, the new safety duo has been key. Pos was a great pickup.

They've barley blitzed all season, but just sitting back and playing cover 2 has worked because the coverage has been great.

Sunday against New Orleans, they showed some nice blitz packages and they actually worked. This is the first Jags game in probably 2 years where I felt like they could dial up some pressure and have some success. The Daryl Smith INT was great because it was the same look they showed earlier, except Smith dropped into coverage.

So, I think it's a wasted season of great defense. Gabbert may be good some day, but he's holding the team back at this point and if they were getting stellar QB play, they would be a much better team.
And do you really think Garrard was capable of "stellar" QB play. So farm the Jags are 1-3. If they have Garrard instead of Gabbert, they're maybe 2-2. Right now, I'm guessing they'll end up at 5-6 wins. With Garrard instead of Gabbert, With Garrard, maybe they get to 7 wins. This team is better than last years, but it's still a year away, and the schedule is brutal. They still have to go to Pittsburgh, Houston, Indy, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Tennessee. Even with Garrard, they win, what, 2 or 3 of those? And they get Cincinatti, Baltimore, Houston, San Diego, Tampa, and Indy at home. They win maybe maybe 2 or 3 of those. So even with Garrard, they're probably an 8 win team, and that isn't going to win a Wild Card in the AFC.

Plus, has any noticed that no one seems to want Garrard? That should tell you something. It's not like the defense will be terrible next year - it's very young, especially the defensive line. They'll be good for years to come.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #83
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
And do you really think Garrard was capable of "stellar" QB play. So farm the Jags are 1-3. If they have Garrard instead of Gabbert, they're maybe 2-2. Right now, I'm guessing they'll end up at 5-6 wins. With Garrard instead of Gabbert, With Garrard, maybe they get to 7 wins. This team is better than last years, but it's still a year away, and the schedule is brutal. They still have to go to Pittsburgh, Houston, Indy, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Tennessee. Even with Garrard, they win, what, 2 or 3 of those? And they get Cincinatti, Baltimore, Houston, San Diego, Tampa, and Indy at home. They win maybe maybe 2 or 3 of those. So even with Garrard, they're probably an 8 win team, and that isn't going to win a Wild Card in the AFC.

Plus, has any noticed that no one seems to want Garrard? That should tell you something. It's not like the defense will be terrible next year - it's very young, especially the defensive line. They'll be good for years to come.
Yes Garrard is absolutely capable of stellar QB play. The last few years he's been about the 13th-17th best QB in the league if not better. That's much better than Gabbert who is probably bottom 5.

The Jags would have beaten the Panthers with average QB play and who knows what would have happened in the Jets game without an atrocious performance from McCown. The defense was great in that game.

Garrard never had good weapons to throw to, and obviously Gabbert doesn't either. The thing that separated Garrard was that he could always pick up a key first down with his legs. His passing numbers don't show that. He moved the chains consistently. And his passing numbers were actually pretty good.

I'm not saying Garrard is an incredible QB, but he always did well without much around him, and given a good defense like they have this year, he's a really good QB to complement it.

Where is the defense young? Alualu, Knighton and Cox are the only young starters. Roth, Pos, Session, Landry, and Lowery were all free agent signings. D. Smith and Mathis have been around forever and Mincey has a lot of time too. It's not a young defense.

I'm just impressed with how well this defense has turned things around and wish there was solid QB play to complement it.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #84
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

Landry and Pos are still pretty young, and Daryl Smith should still have good years as well. And the D-Line is very young. You have to look at the backups as well.

We have different definitions of Stellar, I guess. A middle of the road qb is not stellar, imo. With or without Garrard, I doubt the Jags beat the Jets. They probably beat the Panthers, but average qb play in those conditions is a lot to ask. This team would be better with Garrard this year, but they're still probably not a playoff team. Playing Gabbert now gives them the best chance to succeed next year and beyond.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #85
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

I'm not seeing any indication that 2010 Garrard exists anymore. They cut him pretty much last minute (crazy unless you really know you can't win with that guy). His teammates spoke up about not being surprised. There's been no dispute from Garrard's camp about the claims being inaccurate. And no team has picked him up, with the only excuse being that he wants to be a starter. Well the Colts needed a starter and they didn't want him either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #86
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

If McCown hadn't torn his acl, garrard would've lost his job last year.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #87
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'm not seeing any indication that 2010 Garrard exists anymore. They cut him pretty much last minute (crazy unless you really know you can't win with that guy). His teammates spoke up about not being surprised. There's been no dispute from Garrard's camp about the claims being inaccurate. And no team has picked him up, with the only excuse being that he wants to be a starter. Well the Colts needed a starter and they didn't want him either.
2010 Garrard may not exist, you're right. But if he did, he's better for this team. They're probably 3-2 at this point and just as good as Houston or Tennessee.

Teammates not being surprised about Garrard being gone probably has more to do with the front office's opinion of Garrard than anything Garrard actually did. When a QB is taken 10th overall, of course the team is expecting said QB to take over sooner rather than later. That could be why they weren't surprised.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #88
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

Quote:
2010 Garrard may not exist, you're right. But if he did, he's better for this team. They're probably 3-2 at this point and just as good as Houston or Tennessee.

Teammates not being surprised about Garrard being gone probably has more to do with the front office's opinion of Garrard than anything Garrard actually did. When a QB is taken 10th overall, of course the team is expecting said QB to take over sooner rather than later. That could be why they weren't surprised.
Teammates weren't surprised because many of them didn't think he was very good. He was bad in practice, and that's why he got cut.

This team is not 3-2 with Garrard. And they aren't better than the Texans, with or without him. They'd be 2-3 at best, with the schedule only getting harder. Today's game was certainly not on Gabbert. I think you're way over valuing Garrard. He was very good for one year, and barely average after that. He was pretty much only good for not throwing int's and hitting slants. You aren't going to the playoffs with Garrard, so Gabbert might as well get his playing time now. Heck look at the Jaguars own website. They were saying the Jags might lose more games this year before Garrard was cut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »