Home

Jacksonville Jaguars

This is a discussion on Jacksonville Jaguars within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #25
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 2010 Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Quote from this jaguars.com Q&A with Gene Smith:

I do think David's going to be pretty good this coming year, and I like how Gene wants to add a QB through the draft (I'd be shocked if he didn't see that as a potential weakness).
I think 2007 was easily Garrard's best season, and I'm not just talking statistically. He was working with a bunch of slow 6'4" WRs who could not create any separation and he had an amazing season. He made so many throws into extremely tight windows and he was able to turn Reggie Williams into a 10 TD guy. His other top WRs were Wilford and Matt Jones (I don't care what he did at the combine, he never played fast in the NFL. Turned into a decent possession WR). Northcutt was on that team too, and was decent as a #3. Given the lack of weapons in 2007, I definitely think it was Garrard's best year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #26
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9830

Q and A with Jack Del Rio. On first glance (haven't read it yet, but plan to), here's something that jumped out at me based on the title:

Quote:
Q: Listening to you after the game in Indianapolis in December what was striking was there was a real disbelief that you hadn't won. You said several times that up until the final seconds, you and every player truly believed you were going to make something happen and win . . .

A: You lay out a vision of where you want to go. That's what I did and that's what we set out to accomplish. We were going through steps we needed to take in order to see that vision come to fruition. Well, we were there. We were on the precipice. We just didn't quite get it done in the end. I know how close we were, and I believe in what we're doing and how we're doing it. With another year to continue to build what we started, we expect to take control of the division.
I know there are Jags fans (or non-fans, as it may be) that really don't like JDR or Garrard, but alas, that's what we've got. I really think that Del Rio and Garrard are more like the playoff run we had than the off years we had. With Gene Smith, I think this is the year we see if these two guys are capable of taking Jacksonville to the promised land.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

Last edited by The GIGGAS; 02-28-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Mike Sims-Walker is going to be let go into FA. MSW tweeted:

Quote:
its official, I personally wanna thank all the fans who stuck with me in jacksonville for the last 4 years but sorry to say my time is up!!
I'm not sure how I feel about this. He was kind of an invisible man last year and Mike Thomas took the #1 slot from him IMO. Jason Hill resigned today, and he was decent last year. Who knows, I still trust in GM Gene. If he decided that MSW's not worth it... well, then, MSW wasn't worth it.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 6

I also like Dalton and would be pleased to pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd round. I think highly of Gene Smith and his scouting department. With most teams you can sense who they are targeting, but Gene plays things close to the vest.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #29
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Fortune smile upon the Jaguars, they drafted the top QB in the draft and it only cost a 2nd. The Falcons had to give up a ton of picks for an inconsistent WR.

Gabbert gets to develop for a year (unless they trade Garrard to the Cards or Vikings) and Gene can focus on the defense in the rest of the draft.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #30
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Fortune smile upon the Jaguars, they drafted the top QB in the draft and it only cost a 2nd. The Falcons had to give up a ton of picks for an inconsistent WR.

Gabbert gets to develop for a year (unless they trade Garrard to the Cards or Vikings) and Gene can focus on the defense in the rest of the draft.
Did you do any research on Gabbert? What do you see?

I haven't been able to do much research on anyone, so I'll be looking at him tomorrow.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #31
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Did you do any research on Gabbert? What do you see?

I haven't been able to do much research on anyone, so I'll be looking at him tomorrow.
No, I've been following the discussion of QB's on jaguars.com but most have been focused on every QB but Gabbert and Newton.

All the QB prospects this year need development, Gabbert should get a year to sit on the bench and soak in the NFL level of play. But if the organization wants to "see what they got" or they feel he is ready at any point in the season to start it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

They might ask Garrard to take a pay cut and restructure his deal to end after this year though, I'm not sure. He's due 6 Mil this year and I don't see many teams wanting to absorb that in a trade for a QB his age and skillset.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

I just read this comment on jacksonville.com's story of the first round pick:

Quote:
Very bad pick!!! Timing was very wrong!!! He will be a good QB, but no time soon!!! If you think for one minute that an underclassman will come in and unseat Garrard, you're sadly mistaken. For starters, who will he throw to and who will protect him? That's the problem right now! It's not the quality of the QB; it's the quality of talent around him! This is a guy that just played in a Pro Bowl two years ago and earned offensive mvp; had the best passer rating with the fewest interceptions three years ago. Not to forget, beat the Steelers in consective weeks to end the regular season and win the first round of the playoffs three years ago! Garrard is not the problem, but you Garrard haters convinced yourself otherwise. Go ahead! Make the mistake of letting him go! All of you including Gene Smith, if he's still around, will live to regret it!!! Garrard is a very good QB! You're not a race horse; remove the blinders and you will be able to see what I see in him. Jacksonville's front office has been plagued with mediocrity. This is why they will never make it over the hump! The playoffs every 4 to 5 years is the best you will ever get out of this bunch! Shaq wasn't the guy, neither is Gene Smith! Wayne Weaver better make a command decision before he sinks with the ship! I am sending out a "SOJ", Save Our Jaguars! People wonder why New England is so successful. It's because they know how to deal and pick them! Five picks in the second round! I rest my case!!! If I was running this franchise, I would mirror the Patriots and Colts; they made the playoffs each of the last nine seasons. They must be doing something right.
Wow. I'm glad you other Jags fans here aren't like this.

OS OT Post Champ '11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »