Home

Jacksonville Jaguars

This is a discussion on Jacksonville Jaguars within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #33
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 2010 Jacksonville Jaguars

Yeah, Gabbert sits for a year, maybe two, and this becomes an outstanding pick down the road. The Jags are thinking long term and that's good for the franchise.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Yeah, Gabbert sits for a year, maybe two, and this becomes an outstanding pick down the road. The Jags are thinking long term and that's good for the franchise.
Exactly my thoughts.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #35
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Everyone always asks why their team can't pick like the Patriots, but not many teams have that ability. The Pats have been SB contenders for years, and as long as they can keep Brady upright, and have players catch his passes while fielding at least an ok defense they will remain so.

They can wheel and deal and make trades because their value boards are most likely unlike any other team. They know they can compete at a high level, and don't need that one guy to put them over the top. So because they are good they can listen and field so many trades without worry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Everyone always asks why their team can't pick like the Patriots, but not many teams have that ability. The Pats have been SB contenders for years, and as long as they can keep Brady upright, and have players catch his passes while fielding at least an ok defense they will remain so.

They can wheel and deal and make trades because their value boards are most likely unlike any other team. They know they can compete at a high level, and don't need that one guy to put them over the top. So because they are good they can listen and field so many trades without worry.
I think any team can do what they do. Their owner Bob Kraft made a good point: the league is striving for parity, but a team that picks top 10 every year can actually be at a huge disadvantage if they miss on those picks (see: Detroit Lions under Millen). If you have most of your salary cap tied up in 5-6 players, it's really bad for the team.

The Pats just accumulate as many "cheap" players as possible and many of those guys become solid contributors. They trade down so much because if they have a similar grade on 10 or so guys, they don't pick, they move down. Now they're accumulating assets and the more picks you make, the better your chances to find a player. Now all of this revolves around having a franchise QB in place and hopefully the Jags are now in that position with Gabbert.

The key to trading down is findin the teams that covet one player at a time when you covet multiple players who may be around later in the draft. I think any team can draft like this.

The downside as a Pats fan though: so many seemingly impact players get passed up. It's tough to argue with success, but the Pats are so young right now, that's it's a better time to bring in impact players to complement them rather than bringing in a bunch of 3rd round averageness.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #37
Banned

roethlisberger4pres's Arena

OVR: 2

Idk why everyone worships Gabbert so much. He had an average season last year. My personal opinion the guy will be a bust for Jacksonville.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

I agree with that article. I didn't think it was any reason for Jacksonville to get Gabbert especially trade up for him. He didn't light it up in college in a pass happy offense and Garrard hasn't done anything wrong to warrant them jumping the gun for a QB like that. They had other needs to could have addressed and maybe gotten a developmental QB later in the draft. They could have gotten Mallet later on in the draft who's a better QB then Gabbert anyway and grabbed and DE instead with there first pick. I didn't agree with the Gabbert pick. He's very overrated IMO.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #39
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

You don't pass up the #1 guy on your board if he falls to you (or you can trade up for a small price). The draft isn't for needs (at least I believe it isn't). The draft is to get talent. Doesn't matter what position the talent plays. If you're looking for immediate impact players in the draft, you're looking in the wrong place.

As for scouting, I believe in Gene's scouting department. I remember how many people ragged on us for Alualu, but he was a very good player last year, and he'll continue to be good. Gene hasn't flat-out swung and missed yet.

As for Mallett, Gene tends to go for guys with high floors, instead of high ceilings. I think Mallett is a guy with a high ceiling, but a super low floor. Also, he tends to get "good guys" (i.e. Seniors with team captaincies, and no problems off the field). Look at the five guys Gene got this year. No "bad character guys", almost all of them were SRs and team captains (except Gabbert, who was only not a team captain because he was a JR).

Garrard is good, but he's not a franchise QB. If you have a chance to get a franchise QB in the draft, you gotta go for it. We haven't selected a QB since 2003. It was definitely time. Time will tell on Gabbert, but I feel like he can learn this year and come in next year and be quite well.

Also, one thing a lot of people don't know is that we'll be getting D'Anthony Smith back on the D-Line this year, so there's a ton of talent on the D-Line between Mincey, Alualu, Kampmann, Lane, Pot Roast, Smith... while it is good to build the lines (which Gene has done), Gene got a steal (as was marked on his board). Like I said earlier, I will trust his scouting department.

Gene has been outspoken in saying that we'll address some needs in free agency with a few patches, while we develop our talent. I see no reason to disagree with this approach.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

Last edited by The GIGGAS; 05-14-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
You don't pass up the #1 guy on your board if he falls to you (or you can trade up for a small price). The draft isn't for needs (at least I believe it isn't). The draft is to get talent. Doesn't matter what position the talent plays. If you're looking for immediate impact players in the draft, you're looking in the wrong place.

I just don't feel like Gabbert was worth that pick. Maybe they felt like he was but IMO I feel Gabbert was overrated and I feel his career won't be any better then Garrards and if were talking about talent the DEs that Jacksonville passed on(a posistion they needed) were more talented then Gabbart. We're just going to have to see what happens but he's definitely going to have to prove me wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »