Home

Official Philadelphia Eagles Thread

This is a discussion on Official Philadelphia Eagles Thread within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #41
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28
re: Official Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Hey guys, how's it going? I'm not new to pro football, just new to following one team. The way the Eagles have handled themselves post-lockout, I'm really starting to lean towards them. Can any of you fine folks sell me on the team? I want to hear from a passionate fanbase as to why the Eagles are the team for me. Thanks fellas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #42
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampStomper90
Hey guys, how's it going? I'm not new to pro football, just new to following one team. The way the Eagles have handled themselves post-lockout, I'm really starting to lean towards them. Can any of you fine folks sell me on the team? I want to hear from a passionate fanbase as to why the Eagles are the team for me. Thanks fellas.
Well, these Eagles are a little different than the past Eagles. In 1999 the Birds drafted Donovan McNabb, but he was seemingly the only offensive weapon until Brian Westbrook broke out. He had Terrell Owens for a year and a half, but other than that the teams were built around defense.

Now, it seems to have flipped (kind of like the NFL as a whole, actually) and now the Eagles are built around a high explosive offense, but a seemingly lacking defense.

However, as you can see, they brought in DRC, Nnamdi, Jenkins, and no doubt have their eyes on others.

That's the Eagles between the sidelines in a nutshell.

Now for the coaches:

For the longest time, Jim Johnson ruled the defense and was no doubt a big factor in those great Eagle defenses. He passed away, and his replacement was less than stellar -- and got fired.

Andy Reid--the head coach--is an offensive mastermind. Not only that, he works wonders with quarterbacks, and has no problem taking on troubled players (Vick, rumor of Plax, etc) because of his son's issues.

The thing about Reid, and this is my own opinion, is that he is a top 3 coach in the league from Monday to Saturday and during the offseason. On gameday, he might be a bottom 10 coach though. He always makes questionable challenges, playcalls, and timeouts.

A lot (and I'd say most) Eagles fans HATE Reid for this, and want him gone. I'm not of that opinion, because of what he can bring to the table off the field.

If you're looking for a new team, the 2011 Eagles would probably be a good choice, as they are now (in my opinion) the team to beat in the NFC. Yeah, the Packers won the Super Bowl so they are 'the team to beat' but the Eagles are more talented now, and are in position for a deep playoff run.

So there ya go

Sent from my LG Ally using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #43
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
This is something I wrote in response to questioning why all Eagles fans are expecting so much this year...

Quote:
Well, on paper, they're very very good (obviously). But its been reported that DeSean is going to end his hold out and report to camp on Monday. And as far as the offense goes, the Eagles set the record for points scored of any Eagles team for the past 3 consecutive years. As long as they stay healthy and Vick doesn't slip, then I believe the offense will be more than fine. The offensive line got better with the selection of Danny Watkins and will be started at RG, and with the addition of Howard Mudd, we (as Eagle fans) are expecting great things to happen relative to the last few seasons when we've done well with worse. The LBs are the weakness of the team, but the defense seems to be heading into a much simpler scheme, which takes a lot of pressure off of our LBs to know everything and do everything.

Our safeties...let me tell you something about our safeties: last season Nate Allen was beastly in his first 5 games or so, and he stayed at a seemingly steady pace (as a rookie) throughout the remainder of the season before he went on IR. Kurt Coleman pushed for a starting spot at the end of the season and he'll be looking to do the same this year. The kid was outstanding on special teams, making a lot of tackles, and when he got the call to start in place of the injured Nate Allen, he shined even brighter. And our 2nd round pick in this year's draft, Jaiquawn Jarrett, he's been compared to a mini-Brian Dawkins. Which is a reach because he's being compared to one of the best Eagles of all time IMO, but he tackles well, he's very smart, and he's very familiar with the position (he's been playing safety since HS). Plus, he has a knack for playing the ball.

All Eagles fans have reason to be excited for this team, and we have high expectations because we know how good we can be if players stay healthy. The organization made the decision to shoot for the sky, and we believe we're capable of going to the moon.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see this team take the field. I'm going to be screaming like a mofo every time I see this team perform.

RIP J.J.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #44
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

^I can't tell you how happy seeing this photo makes me feel. I had soooooooooo many doubts about Castillo coming in as the DC. Seeing this kind of intensity makes be feel much better about our defense and the coaching behind it.

RIP J.J.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #45
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

So are there any safeties or LBs we want to go after? Or are we just gonna stick with what we have and hope for the best? And word around Twitter is Asante is now being shopped around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #46
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

Quote:
So are there any safeties or LBs we want to go after? Or are we just gonna stick with what we have and hope for the best? And word around Twitter is Asante is now being shopped around.
Safeties, we'll probably stick with what we have. LBs, we may be looking to shop Asante for a LB, but I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up someone in FA and kept Asante either.

RIP J.J.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #47
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

Jean-Gilles working out for the Bengals. How big of a loss would that be? Since I just started following I'm not completely sure of the impact of the individual linemen, but I'm pretty sure it may hurt a little.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #48
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Jean-Gilles working out for the Bengals. How big of a loss would that be? Since I just started following I'm not completely sure of the impact of the individual linemen, but I'm pretty sure it may hurt a little.
Not too bad. They drafted Watkins and just signed Harris from the Broncos. I think they are fine at OL now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »