Home

Starting over - roster edition

This is a discussion on Starting over - roster edition within the NHL 2K Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K > NHL 2K Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
Rookie

rangers9911's Arena

OVR: 0
Starting over - roster edition

With the age of the game and multiple contributors through the years, we are starting to bump into the limits of the rosters. I am thankful for all contributors but I’m going to try the unthinkable- start from scratch and rebuild.

What I’m doing?
Using a default x360 roster, I will be updating each NHL team to 2021 roster using the editor by snowdrift and nikethebike. To complete this undertaking, I will be overwriting existing players (e.g. Scott Niedermayer, Todd Bertuzzi, Vanek, etc) and their appearances and/or play-by-play (PBP) name(s) to create modern day players. Using the editor to achieve this feat will allow me to not reach the editing and save limitations placed on the database by 2k. Along with editing players for best appearance and/or pbp name, I will be editing attributes, ratings, and nationalities as well. Right now, names and attributes are the only editable items through the editor. At this time, birthdates and other things cannot be changed. I’d love to get the most accurate gear for each player but, that will not be happening due to time constraints- maybe another time. Given 2021’s change in rosters, minor league team along with some older players that have long retired. Other than injured or some other players here and there MINOR LEAGUE TEAMS WILL NOT BE TOUCHED. Only teams that will be created will be the Jets and Golden Knights.

Why I’m doing this?
For the community! I started out thinking this wouldn’t be fun but, it is- tedious but, fun. It’ll give a base roster for potential future rosters to be based off and allow plenty of room for future edits. I’m not sure of the compatibility with PS3 as I do not have one. So, if there is a PS3 user that wants to test, please message me and I’ll provide. This will also provide a clean database for future rosters and won't have any roster glitches or player errors.

Timeframe for completion?
Sometime in 2021. This takes a lot of time, research, etc for each team. It takes some time to get through each team, especially given some limited options in the game for appearance and no ability to edit built-in pbp names.

Progress:
All NHL teams complete for phase 1- data entry.

Phases 1 and 2 are complete.

FILE RELEASED

Last edited by rangers9911; 03-21-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2021, 04:54 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Starting over - roster edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers9911
With the age of the game and multiple contributors through the years, we are starting to bump into the limits of the rosters. I am thankful for all contributors but I’m going to try the unthinkable- start from scratch and rebuild.

What I’m doing?
Starting from a default x360 roster, bring the teams up to modern day. Using the editing abilities of snowdrift’s and nikethebike’s, use existing roster players for current players first. The editor will allow me to not reach the editing limits built into the game. Going to do the nhl first and may get to the ahl. Current editable aspects in their editor are name and attributes. Every other aspect has to be done in game. Birthdates cannot be changed. I don’t have the time to do gear like I did for Molifox right now.

Timeframe for completion?
Sometime in 2021 hopefully. This takes a lot of time, research, etc for each team. As of today, I’ve done Anaheim-Detroit. I’m averaging a team or two day when I do have the time. Takes about an hour to get players edited in the editor, then import into game, edit height weight handiness, nationality, jersey numbers etc. so just about 2hrs per team. Covid has complicated each roster so I’m trying to work out taxi squad players as well

I’ll be sure to share any updates as they happen. It’ll be some time still to get through everything so please have patience with the process. I hope this will help some of us roster makers going forward. I’m unsure of compatibility with the PS3. Using the editor, are the csv’s the same? Can someone let me know please.

First make sure the base roster from 360 and PS3 are identical.

Will you skip trades ingame? Do it like I did with overwrites? Wish I could have helped with the editor... Wonder what messed up compatibility considering it was possible to export correctly. Perhaps it is the stats that I zero out. Hmm...

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html
Old 01-16-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
Rookie

rangers9911's Arena

Edmonton now complete as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikethebike
First make sure the base roster from 360 and PS3 are identical.

Will you skip trades ingame? Do it like I did with overwrites? Wish I could have helped with the editor... Wonder what messed up compatibility considering it was possible to export correctly. Perhaps it is the stats that I zero out. Hmm...
I cant ensure compatibility unless someone with a ps3 roster can help me out. But, I hope they are.

As far as in-game trades, I'm still doing them. I felt it's important to have players that are still in the game, look like themselves and leave those IDs intact. Other players, I'm not necessarily looking for close appearance but if someone comes to mind, I'm going to edit them for that player. I'm trying my best to keep players in their systems (e.g.: editing a minor D man from say Hartford and making him a D for NYR, etc) but that isn't always possible. Once I'm done, I hope other can/will use it to help them out...especially if at least the NHL is current to this season.

As I said, I appreciate your editor. It has helped me locate some thing and I plan on running some more tests to see what else may or may not be compatible in the distant future.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:39 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Edmonton now complete as well.

I cant ensure compatibility unless someone with a ps3 roster can help me out. But, I hope they are.

As far as in-game trades, I'm still doing them. I felt it's important to have players that are still in the game, look like themselves and leave those IDs intact. Other players, I'm not necessarily looking for close appearance but if someone comes to mind, I'm going to edit them for that player. I'm trying my best to keep players in their systems (e.g.: editing a minor D man from say Hartford and making him a D for NYR, etc) but that isn't always possible. Once I'm done, I hope other can/will use it to help them out...especially if at least the NHL is current to this season.

As I said, I appreciate your editor. It has helped me locate some thing and I plan on running some more tests to see what else may or may not be compatible in the distant future.

Other things you can do is replace players with similar names. Will help with call names and announcers being more correct. Toby Petersen => Elias Pettersson for example. Boucher => Brock Boeser, Chad Miller => J.T. Miller and so on...

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html
Old 01-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

I know this is a massive project but I think you're right, we're at the point where it may be good to dump out what we have and start fresh. More likely to yield a better roster overall. But yeah, where one can keep older players that are still in the game, it's good to keep them. Don't know about this but is there ANY way to wipe out play by play names altogether? One silly thing that always takes me out of 2K10 in terms of immersion is the calling out of wrong names. It's hard to play with Matthews and hear him called Legwand when the name "Matthews" IS in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Rookie

rangers9911's Arena

If I recall correctly, it’s not possible for 2k10. I believe Nike figured out how to do it on 2k11. I will try my best to remember name matching a bit more than I have. I too, like immersion (which I why I love editing gear but, not in the cards currently). Hopefully this pans out and I’m able to get this done sometime within these 12 months. Then I’d like to shift focus to the immersion aspects more.

On an update note: almost done with Florida-just have to decide who stays in nhl and who goes to minors

Last edited by rangers9911; 01-18-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
If I recall correctly, it’s not possible for 2k10.
Yeah, you're right, I think this was the one reason I preferred 2K8, the editor was so thorough and helped do things like wipe out player faces and names. But unfortunately, it also feels like you're playing a game with the energy and engagement level of a university lecture. 2K8 is so frustrating. Best mechanics, most boring gameplay.
Anyway, I say just keep going with your rebuild. Totally worth it, even with off names. In MLB2K12 nobody worried about the db integrity for years and we now have a situation where basically no roster works well, they crash, you almost can't even look at lineups without seasons crashing, etc. I think this is a worthwhile project for a great game. Plus the existing 2K10 tool will surely be a huge help.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #8
Rookie

rangers9911's Arena

You hit the nail right on the head...The insane state that the MLB2k rosters are in. Even if no one else uses this when it is done, it still gives us a slate to look at with hopefully 80-90% less of the hassle and with a database that is in great shape and hopefully pretty close to up to date.

I had some time today to do a few teams. I'm stopping at Minnesota- this is actually quite fun in a way to go through and retool...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K > NHL 2K Rosters »