Home

ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox) 2018-19 Roster Development Thread

This is a discussion on ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox) 2018-19 Roster Development Thread within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox) 2017-18 Roster Development Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEDX2007
What normally takes me multiple hours was done in about 45 minutes today, modifying equipment works so I was able to do that on my computer (didn't take long) I then took a base player and copied his attributes to all players which gave me a template to modify. which reduced the amount of time even more because it was close to what their attributes usually are.
I love it!! Smart roster creation! Clever technique.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #42
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift
I know you weren't talking to me but I don't really get what you mean here
Never mind, I didn't express myself properly but I don't think what I was suggesting is valid anyway.

Quote:
Totally agree, and I wasn't criticizing the developers.
This is one of those things that happens in forums where a response sounds like I was suggesting you were saying something you weren't. I wasn't saying that, it was just an observation. All good.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #43
Rookie

WWEDX2007's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox) 2018-19 Roster Development Thread

I'm gonna run into an issue where there's gonna be no more players with blank menufaces, this could result in me having to use no name players and use their closest faces, like molifox/austrianredwing's NHL 2K10 360 rosters. I'm gonna try to make sure this isn't the case, but it looks like it might become an issue by 8-10 teams finished. it's a shame because the All-Time and Historic teams have players I could use, but the game and Finn's editor won't let me.
Quote:
This is a great discovery, but did you test to make sure that the edits actually affect the players? I mean, if you take a player with a default 99 speed and acceleration and zero them out via the editor, does it actually affect their skating? There were a couple of situations in developing the 2K8 editor where editing a value would cause the "right" value to be displayed in the game's menus, but actually the game acted like nothing happened.
Can confirm attribute edits made via the editor make a difference, just zeroed out all of the retired players on Calgary in preparation of updating them, played a test game and every player skated like they were 100 years old.

Last edited by WWEDX2007; 07-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEDX2007
I'm gonna run into an issue where there's gonna be no more players with blank menufaces...
Can confirm attribute edits made via the editor make a difference, just zeroed out all of the retired players on Calgary in preparation of updating them, played a test game and every player skated like they were 100 years old.
Not the end of the world for the faces. I know, not ideal, trust me I understand, but I've been playing a playoff in 2K10 with the austrianredwing update of molifox's roster and yeah, the occasional face comes up that I know belongs to someone else, but I'm too into the game to care or even notice half the time.
Glad to hear about the attributes. Would've been funny to see a video of those 0-rated players playing.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #45
Rookie

WWEDX2007's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
Not the end of the world for the faces. I know, not ideal, trust me I understand, but I've been playing a playoff in 2K10 with the austrianredwing update of molifox's roster and yeah, the occasional face comes up that I know belongs to someone else, but I'm too into the game to care or even notice half the time.
Glad to hear about the attributes. Would've been funny to see a video of those 0-rated players playing.
It will only be for skaters, as I'm pretty sure there's enough blank faces for goalies.

Either way, I'm hell bent on finishing this.

Last edited by WWEDX2007; 07-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #46
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox) 2017-18 Roster Development Thread

I miss the days I would spend hours on rosters with Finn's editor. I spent so much time on it that 2k actually used my roster base as their official roster updates for a year. LOL

They would just change the names of the minor league players because of them not playing any games at the NHL level. I got a shout out in the thanks section in the game manual. ha!

Keep up the great work guys..

(Name top right of the picture.. The good old days!)

http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

Last edited by Fiddy; 05-17-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I miss the days I would spend hours on rosters with Finn's editor. I spent so much time on it that 2k actually used my roster base as their official roster updates for a year. LOL

They would just change the names of the minor league players because of them not playing any games at the NHL level. I got a shout out in the thanks section in the game manual. ha!

It's amazing to me that these games can still generate passionate interest even if it's just in a few of us. I play NFL 2K5 every year and it never gets old. I started playing the NHL 2K series again about a year ago because I had already left the contemporary EA game for the 2016 PS3 Legacy version and despite being great it really does hit a wall where the boredom is hard to ignore. And while I've played MLB 2K12 every year for a few games, the lack of any kind of decent roster attention makes it less interesting. MLB2K5 wit rosters would be incredible. But no editor and the create player limit of 25 kills that chance. What I didn't imagine was that people like snowdrift, WWEDX2007, molifox were going to make versions I didn't know well play so beautifully. 2K8 and 2K10 are phenomenal but it's really going to be a blast playing 2K5's ESPN presentation with contemporary rosters. All I can do is test and comment so the praise goes to them, but it's great to be able to play these games and it speaks a lot to how good they still are and what, in summary, a sports video game should be and how all the supposed innovations today seem to do nothing but get us further away froma model that was working fine 10 years ago.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #48
Rookie

WWEDX2007's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

I've heard of your roster work and sure enough, your name is in my ESPN NHL 2K5 manual.

ESPN NHL 2K5 as a game brings back childhood memories for me because it was my introduction to the NHL 2K series. This is the game I played with my brother and dad. and that's why I'm hard at work on an update. for them, for any of the OS community who still care. and even as a tribute to people like you Fiddy.

I've played NHL 2K Dreamcast, NHL 2K2 Dreamcast, NHL 2K3 PS2, ESPN NHL 2K5 PS2/Xbox, NHL 2K6 PS2, NHL 2K8 360 and NHL 2K10 PS2/360. While 2K8 and 2K10 are special because of their unique gameplay and good roster work by molifox/austrianredwing and snowdrift, I just keep coming back to 2K5. even though I have perhaps double of the workload I had with NHL 2K10 PS2.

Last edited by WWEDX2007; 07-12-2018 at 07:38 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »