Home

Umm....Read this....

This is a discussion on Umm....Read this.... within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
Umm....Read this....

"Microsoft's VP closets the sales shtick and gets dirty. Read our revealing, detailed, and in-depth interview with the man behind the 360."

Q: I've spoken to several developers and they're all telling me they're filling up their DVD pretty quickly, that the media isn't big enough. What's going to be done about that?

Allard: "Well, we've got to do better on compression. We're not totally where we want to be with compression. Honestly, to be frank, stuff comes in hot. We're trying to do a worldwide launch of this very ambitious program, and developers will tell you that they're not very satisfied with the DVD emulator or compression. And therefore they are layouts with DVD, they're struggling with that; they're cutting corners. Basically what happens when you get final hardware late, you're sloppy. With all deference to the developers, you've got to take every out you can and so they're not applying all their talents, as they will next year and the year after to get every little bit they can out of it. They're being a little sloppy with the CPU, they're being a little sloppy with the discs, they're being a little sloppy with their formats and compression to make launch. And next year, you'll see that they tighten that up so they can get more out of the system using the same disc capacity, using the same compression, and the same art tools, and so they'll get a lot more out of the system next year. That's why games look better year over year. It's primarily because hardware comes in hot, and developers use the deficiency of the schedule not to just learn the hardware but to cut a couple of corners."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/660/660456p1.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is ....Why did Microsoft give out the final dev kits so late?....wtf is up with that?...They knew these games would be rushed out and don't give a F***.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:
Re: Umm....Read this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay8595
"Microsoft's VP closets the sales shtick and gets dirty. Read our revealing, detailed, and in-depth interview with the man behind the 360."

Q: I've spoken to several developers and they're all telling me they're filling up their DVD pretty quickly, that the media isn't big enough. What's going to be done about that?

Allard: "Well, we've got to do better on compression. We're not totally where we want to be with compression. Honestly, to be frank, stuff comes in hot. We're trying to do a worldwide launch of this very ambitious program, and developers will tell you that they're not very satisfied with the DVD emulator or compression. And therefore they are layouts with DVD, they're struggling with that; they're cutting corners. Basically what happens when you get final hardware late, you're sloppy. With all deference to the developers, you've got to take every out you can and so they're not applying all their talents, as they will next year and the year after to get every little bit they can out of it. They're being a little sloppy with the CPU, they're being a little sloppy with the discs, they're being a little sloppy with their formats and compression to make launch. And next year, you'll see that they tighten that up so they can get more out of the system using the same disc capacity, using the same compression, and the same art tools, and so they'll get a lot more out of the system next year. That's why games look better year over year. It's primarily because hardware comes in hot, and developers use the deficiency of the schedule not to just learn the hardware but to cut a couple of corners."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/660/660456p1.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is ....Why did Microsoft give out the final dev kits so late?....wtf is up with that?...They knew these games would be rushed out and don't give a F***.....
Just like with all consoles, the design isn't finished until just before launch. Of course, dev kits are secondary. The complaining surprises me, because games without video cutscenes (mainly the Japanese RPG's) don't come close to filling the capacity of a DVD9. And I know compression techniques have gotten much more efficient. Some people would point to the Madden special edition on PS2, but that contained full versions of previous games. Even Madden 360 will have plenty of space to spare if EA follows Microsoft's compression techniques.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

That happens with every console launch. Just compare the launch games for xbox + ps2 to the games now. Did you really think developers would tap into the full potential of the 360 right away? Same thing is going to happen with the ps3. What I have seen so far on the 360 is amazing, I can't wait till they tap into it's power even more.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

Most first generation titles (sports in particular) are pretty much a letdown gameplay wise. They are usually missing the simple features of 3rd and 4th gen titles of the previous system and the developers cut tons of corners on the new system.

Since I'm primarily a sports gamer on consoles (i enjoy my PC for most every other genre) I think i may wait it out on the Xbox 360 to see if there is that must buy title that makes me want a system ASAP.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

Developers won't have storage issues with the PS3 though. So that's one less problem when starting out, although it may get them in a habit of writing sloppy code. XBOX 360 developers are forced right out of the gates to think lean. Unless Microsoft comes up with something down the road (compression-wise), PS3 games are looking to outshine them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
No end in sight...

OVR: 20

here
http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=392
Old 10-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
Developers won't have storage issues with the PS3 though. So that's one less problem when starting out, although it may get them in a habit of writing sloppy code. XBOX 360 developers are forced right out of the gates to think lean. Unless Microsoft comes up with something down the road (compression-wise), PS3 games are looking to outshine them.
They can make bigger dvd's. Space won't be a problem.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay8595
Yeah that's it, they don't give a ****.

Don't know where you've been, but launch software is always rushed. Devs are under time restraints, trying to wrap their heads around new hardware, final hardware arrives late, therefore corners are cut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »