Home

Why is vid game journalism so....

This is a discussion on Why is vid game journalism so.... within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Rookie

m7406's Arena

OVR: 4
Why is vid game journalism so....

....decidely "little league" considering this is an industry that is, and has been for a couple of years, bigger than the moview industry. Listening to the crew over at allgames was tortuous. The video game business as a whole does not enjoy the perception of respect it's dollars command because of the unprofessional, slacker-like, delivery of many of its media personel. This site is great and wish it enjoyed even a higher profile in terms of radio shows, podcasts, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Why is vid game journalism so....

It's probably because educated journalists aspire to cover topics a little more involved than how scantily clad the girls of DOA will be in the next game and the bouncy-boob technology on display.

Seriously, the industry has to mature a whole lot before it gets taken seriously.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

I think the thing that I find more surprising than this is the lead-up to games now...the amounts of details on the game and the development process that gamers demand and scrutinize to the most minute detail; drawing conclusions on games before they've even played them. it's insane. trailers being dissected frame by frame and whatnot.

I remember for me personally, even as recently as say NCAA05. I would buy the game, throw it in and play it -- have fun and that was that. MAYBE, I'd go check out a review on the game somewhere first. This expanded culture is kind of overwhelming to me to be honest...really turns the screws on developers though, I suppose.

(Don't take this as an attack on you -- just a similar observation...I'm out of the times, I suppose.)
Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm not surprised by anything any more. In games... nothing really makes me say... "whoa".

I think that's a horrible thing.

But yeah, the video game media is pretty bad.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I agree with you comafaction, but it's more than that... it's the internet these days. I just saw a serious news story on TV yesterday about whether or not Google was helping terrorists. It's a new age.

There was a time when writers had to go through a serious process to get work published and now there are websites and blogs. The journalists even in the gaming magazines applied for the job, interviewed, etc. Online you just need a little business sense and enough money to buy a domain and some hosting and you can talk about whatever you want. It's insanely diluted.

Add to that our need for everything right away and we can't even wait for the more reputable sites (which are also bad at really reviewing sports games) but want to break down info from anyone or anywhere. It makes this a good niche for someone looking for 15 minutes to get into.

It also means that if you know what you're doing and have an unbiased nature, it's an easy way into the industry. Please step up, we'd all appreciate more news worth reading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
I'm not surprised by anything any more. In games... nothing really makes me say... "whoa".

I think that's a horrible thing.

But yeah, the video game media is pretty bad.
this is also true. we're not going to see as many big time increases in visual quality as we get closer and closer to realistic looking models.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

I dunno... playing Gears of War had me saying, "whoa" quite a few times.

I was also floored the first time I saw Fight Night Round 3 on the 360.

There's plenty of room to grow with graphics and animations that could have me saying, "whoa" for a lot longer.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm not even talking about whoa as in graphics and animations.

I mean like... new controls, storylines that are like nothing we've ever seen before, unique art styles that are mindblowing...

I don't really want lifelike because we'll be crossing over into uncanny valley before we know it.

I want games that are like movies. Long gameplay... interesting visual, artistic, and storyline ideas...

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »