Home

Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

This is a discussion on Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #2505
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroMontana82
haha yeah that one was hilarious.

this is very true. i also hate how i get killed then revived in the middle of a firefight with bullets and explosions all over the place only to die before my player can even move. this makes no sense and people are obviously just going for points instead of clearing the area first.
Yes, I HATE that. Or you've lost your objective, time to fall back. You die and some dick revives you. It's like no, I just wanna fall back!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #2506
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

I don't usually play as recon unless I'm playing on hardcore because I can't seem to get a kill using a sniper rifle.

I will sometimes switch to recon and try to plant C4 on a tank or use mortar strike... but for the most part I like assault and engineer. My favorite guns are on the engineer class, but I'm no help repairing vehicles. Medic is the only class I haven't maxed out yet...well and vehicles.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #2507
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

Hardcore is the only mode I play. I can't seem to get kills and die waaaay more often playing regular.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #2508
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroMontana82
i also hate how i get killed then revived in the middle of a firefight with bullets and explosions all over the place only to die before my player can even move. this makes no sense and people are obviously just going for points instead of clearing the area first.

Alright ... medic here.

1) "Clearing the area" is an awfully demanding thing to ask of someone. I mean, really, if they could do that, why even bother reviving you anyway? If it's that easy to "clear the area," what do they need you for? They can just go "clear" the next area, too, while they're at it.

2) They could in fact "clear the area," revive you, and you could still get nailed by a sniper or mortar fire or whatever the second you stand up. What's the difference?

3) If there's no enemies around, I'm more likely to not revive. (Not that I'd avoid it on purpose, just that it's not nearly as pressing.) It's when we're in the midst of a tough 6v4 out in the open that a key revival could swing that skirmish in our favor. If you happen to die right away thereafter, that's just tough luck.

Generally when I revive someone, it's on the chance (33%?) that they're gonna get up and kill someone, help ME stay alive longer, and aid the "push" we're currently making. Has nothing at all to do with points. I'd play the exact same way if revives were worth nothing.

And it's also on this point where I think it's clear why a revive in a clear area isn't worth as much: again, if the area's already clear, we don't necessarily need another body. That person might well be better off spawning on a squadmate or back at base to get a vehicle.

In short: it's in those firefights you mention that revivals are most beneficial, not the other way around.

4) There's some irony in bringing up that people are just going for points; it seems to me that the only reason someone would be miffed about getting revived and then dying right away is because it hurts their KDR - it's a death they didn't "earn." The only other reasons I can think of are if you want to change kits or you're out of ammo, but in those cases, a revive in a "clear" area is just as bad.

All that said, I do know what you're talking about, and, yes, it's annoying. I just think it's something annoying that happens in a more general sense, not anything the medics are doing wrong. In other words, I agree with your first sentence here, it's pretty much a fact, lol, yes that's annoying, I just take exception to the second sentence.

Cheers.

Last edited by NEOPARADIGM; 04-08-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #2509
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Yes, but sometimes those medics aren't doing anything good for the team. They would see a teammate die just slightly further ahead of them. Instead of scoping out the area for the enemy who just killed him, they just pull out the defibrillators and revive them right away. Now you run the risk of that guy killing you AND the guy you just revived. The guy you just revived will probably be thoroughly pissed, the enemy just took out 2 spawn tickets and racked up some decent amount of points within seconds for himself. You would be able to survive longer if you kept your gun out looking for that enemy creeping around the corner then just running straightaway for the revive while possibly running by the creeper. You have about 8-10 seconds to revive someone, so why not use up most of that time to find the enemy rather than reviving within 2 seconds.

Last edited by mikenoob; 04-08-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #2510
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenoob
Yes, but most of the time those medics aren't doing anything good for the team. They would see a teammate die just slightly further ahead of them. Instead of scoping out the area for the enemy who just killed him, they just pull out the defibrillators and revive them right away. Now you run the risk of that guy killing you AND the guy you just revived. The guy you just revived will probably be thoroughly pissed, that guy just took out 2 spawn tickets and racked up some decent amount of points within seconds for himself.
Of course. On the one hand, yes, some medics suck like that, lol. But I'd still defend them to the point where they might be new to the position, or maybe they just literally suck and that's all they can do.

Quote:
You would be able to survive longer if you kept your gun out looking for that enemy creeping around the corner then just running straightaway for the revive while possibly running by the creeper. You have about 8-10 seconds to revive someone, so why not use up most of that time to find the enemy rather than reviving within 2 seconds.
Yeah, I mean, like I implied, I know what you guys are talking about. I'm just trying to hammer home the point that when you get revived in the middle of the ish, the idea is we need you and we need you right here and now. The response, psychologically, should be "sir yes sir!" opposed to getting annoyed by it.

Put it this way: I'm only half-way defending medics; the other half I'm trying to spin it so it ceases to be annoying. We're supposed to be having fun here.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #2511
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I try to revive people as much as I can, personally. If there is nobody close to the body, I'll definitely run to revive them, but if there's people around or between me and the body, I'll try to clear the way first. I want the points to revive them, but I also don't want to get myself killed in the process.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #2512
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

This game sounds pretty crazy. I have it, but won't play til I pick up my HDMI cable, and possibly a headset. Everything sounds like a good time though. If some of the PS3'ers want to add me, as long as they don't care if I suck, I'd love to get in on some of this action.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »