Home

War Thunder - PC - PS4 Launch Title

This is a discussion on War Thunder - PC - PS4 Launch Title within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: War Thunder - PC - PS4 Launch Title

Wife decided to groom all our dogs last night and man did I put in hours of game play.

Pros :

* This game is FREE

* You have the option besides arcade of bumping up your difficulty to "Realistic" or even higher to "Simulator". But let me say, these levels are unforgiving.

* Gaijin's step up from IL-2 Sturmovik franchise offers one of the best flight combat simulator I've played on a console. Some of the maps and combats are visually stunning and realistic.

* Went into battle with a random crew against a team, called the "Hurricanes". There's an option that certain groups can recruit as a team and go into battle together. Needless to say, these teams are very good and we got our butts kicked because they played it to perfection like a team should. Communication and strategy is key .

* You have the opportunity to unlock planes and upgrade existing. I upgraded my P-36A Hawk with 2 bombs and is it ever so satisfying when you're able to destroy/damage your enemy's base while evading aircraft and ground cover.

* There's no better satisfaction when you get shot down by someone (especially a top-level pilot), then respawing into the mission, tracking that SOB and watch him burn all the way down.

* Gaijin is promising to update. There are taking comments from the community and their recent patch upgrade (1.37) shows that they are committed.

* The Share button will be ideal feature for us to brag/show our top kills.

Cons:

* It's tough when you first start out. You will die and die quickly. Your first inclination is to abort back to the hanger. You only start off with 3 planes and those EU/Asian/Aust counterparts are extremely good.

* As a random, communication is very low between team members. Sometimes you work together but mostly you'll find yourself doing the acts solo. Breaking off with a group to head towards enemy base should be a goal that didn't seem to resonate with many.

* You will need to play for hours to achieve higher levels and purchase points for your plane, unless your top notch fighter pilots. I may have put in about 10 hours and I'm on a level 5 with USA planes. 15, I think is the highest. I've now started with Japan (you start from the beginning) but I'll have to go to the German planes. I'm sure we all want to fighter pilot the Messerschmidt Bf 109 into combat.

* Because this is a Beta there are few modes available such as naval combats.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
MVP

Quint75's Arena

OVR: 16

I am a WW2 plane nut and even though this game is arcadey in it's current form, it is still very cool the choices you have on planes, how they handle and the strategy of which country to start with, which planes to choose and which plane types to concentrate on.

For example, on my UK account, I played quite extensively with each country's starter planes. When I started my US account, I went with Russia, as their starter plane offered me a combination of maneuverability and speed that I prefer over the other starter planes. From there I decided to go with another fighter plane next, and am almost finished researching my 3rd fighter, the MiG 3. After that I am gonna look into the ground attack planes like the IL-2.

You also have to think about which country offers you the best planes long term and which style serves you best. Do you want the lightly armored but highly maneuverable Japanese fighters, or do you go with the faster, armored American fighters and use hit-and-run tactics? Perhaps go somewhere in the middle and choose a British Spitfire or a German Focke Wulf? Heavy bombers should almost surely be American (although the British Lancaster was no slouch).

So many choices to make about how to invest your time and research. When you first start, my advice is not to get too wrapped up in dogfighting; if the mission is to take out ground targets, then make that the priority. Every day each country offers a 2X multiplier on a mission until you win it. I suggest you take advantage of that whenever you can and play each 2X mission for each country to get a leg up on a variety of planes.

Lots more to discuss if there are others out there wanting to.
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers
EPL: Liverpool Reds
Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

I've been waiting to start up this game hoping I could do it on my console for simplicity sake but I don't see this getting released in the us for a while so I'm just going to take the jump on pc. Probably should anyway to take advantage of my hotas, rudder pedals and track ir, but it took me forever to get everything set up like I wanted it in dcs and I was hoping to just pick up and play this on ps4. Any info on when the sim setting is supposed to be released? I use to fly for the Air Force and tend to stay away from arcade games but the potential to have this to play in downtime from dcs seems like a good alternative.

Any tips starting out you wish you knew when you began?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
I've been waiting to start up this game hoping I could do it on my console for simplicity sake but I don't see this getting released in the us for a while so I'm just going to take the jump on pc. Probably should anyway to take advantage of my hotas, rudder pedals and track ir, but it took me forever to get everything set up like I wanted it in dcs and I was hoping to just pick up and play this on ps4. Any info on when the sim setting is supposed to be released? I use to fly for the Air Force and tend to stay away from arcade games but the potential to have this to play in downtime from dcs seems like a good alternative.

Im on PS4. Its pretty simple to get it, just make a UK account and download it.

I do have one problem. I got in yesterday and registered and played. Now when I try to play today it wants me to register again. How do I use the one I registered with already?

Nevermind. I was on wrong account. Lol

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees

Last edited by Candyman5; 02-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Press the options button on the DS4 and bring up the menu. They're some areas to further explore such as individual/historical battles. If you like, get familiar with the tutorial so you get an idea of how the controls work. They're rather quick to do, and add 5000 points towards your purchase powers when you complete each.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

Still totally lost on the upgrade menus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
MVP

Quint75's Arena

War Thunder - PC - PS4 Launch Title

Quote:

When you start the early fields of battle, namely Albion and Stalingrad, you will immediately see everyone mixing it up in one big, crazy dogfight. Everyone goes after planes. Don't fall into this trap. Ignore the planes and take out as many ground targets as you can. That is what determines which side wins the battle and you can rack up a ton of points this way. Only go after a plane if one presents itself as an easy target or you can't shake one off of your tail. I have gotten well over 35 ground kills on the Stalingrad level: it enabled my team to win and gave massive points for my research projects and crew upgrades.

Following this logic, try to take out stationary AA guns or stationary Artillery first. They are the easiest to hit and kill. When you move on to vehicles, take out AA and artillery vehicles first, as they can damage you and they have less protection than armored vehicles. Save the armored vehicles for last.

You WILL get shot down a lot at first, both by enemies and by ground fire, and by simply crashing. Get used to it. Keep upgrading your plane and adjust your flying (never in a straight line for any length of time while being fired upon) and you will get a lot better. Learn how your plane controls: less speed equals tighter turns. If you can't out turn your opponent, out run them.

Hope this helps.
EPL: Liverpool Reds

Last edited by Quint75; 02-11-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #16
MVP

Quint75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
Still totally lost on the upgrade menus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Be glad to help. What are you lost on?