Home

Control (PS/XBox/PC)

This is a discussion on Control (PS/XBox/PC) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 13
Control (PS/XBox/PC)

I didn't see a thread for this one. Anyone played this game?

I liked it, but it's a tough recommend because it's really weird and can be frustrating. It was free on PSN+ though, so if any of you downloaded it last month, it's worth checking out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Control (PS/XBox/PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I didn't see a thread for this one. Anyone played this game?

I liked it, but it's a tough recommend because it's really weird and can be frustrating. It was free on PSN+ though, so if any of you downloaded it last month, it's worth checking out.
Pretty sure there's a thread. I downloaded it but have yet to play it.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #3
Pro

IHateDuke32's Arena

OVR: 2

They patched HDR into the Series X version and I finally gave this a shot. I finished the main story yesterday and spent more time today doing side stuff. I absolutely love this game.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateDuke32
They patched HDR into the Series X version and I finally gave this a shot. I finished the main story yesterday and spent more time today doing side stuff. I absolutely love this game.
One of the things that I appreciated about this game is that in the normal course of just playing the game and doing side missions, you can pretty much get all of the 'achievements' associated with the game. I inadvertently platinum'd this game, and I have never done so with any game prior (possible exception being Red Dead Redemption if I recall), and I have no intention of doing so with any other game if it requires 'extra' effort. But I sort of liked that there wasn't some thing where you had to go find every nook and cranny of every map just to collect 100 tchotchkes for the sake of getting the achievement. I don't care about achievements at all, but I did think it was a nice bonus that I got them all just by playing through the game.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
Pro

IHateDuke32's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree. I first started this on Series X. I got the Ultimate Edition on sale around Christmas time for like $20 and stashed it until the next gen patch was going to be released a few months later. And for whatever reason, it’s the only game I had issues with on my Series X with crashing every once in a while. So I downloaded it on PS5 since it was free with PS+ and enjoyed the game on there, coming pretty close to the platinum without trying for it. I then saw they patched HDR into the Series X version so I started another playthrough there, and it really looks awesome with HDR implemented.

So yea, I enjoyed this game enough to play through it twice on two different consoles lol. But it isn’t a very long game especially the 2nd time through when you know how to do everything. And I haven’t had any crashes on Series X so I’ve been enjoying the heck out of the game again. Plus I got to do the ash tray maze mission again...so amazing! Can’t get that song out of my head lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
All Star

I love how at the end of the ashtray maze your character goes "that...was.....awesome." Totally what I was saying to myself after that IRL.

The game is a little glitchy/performance-challenged. Big strike against it. I also got a little bored of the oppressive bureaucratic brutalist architecture of the entire game, although it's hard to criticize because the whole game takes place in a government building and that's the exact look/feel they were going for. I will say that they accurately captured the look/feel of pretty much every government building I've ever been in, down to the excessive concrete and lack of natural light.

A lot of the game's combat mechanics reminded me a bit of the "Throw" move from "Mass Effect" that you could use to, well....throw stuff at enemies. I wonder if the guys at Remedy were playing 'Mass Effect' and thought, wouldn't it be cool if you could just go through a whole game doing this?
Old 05-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Recently began playing this game and it's.... different. It doesn't do a great job of telling you the backstory, imo, maybe partially by design. The gameplay is simple, but fun. I don't not enjoy the game while playing it, but I also am not really amazed by anything other than the Ray Tracing and performance with DLSS.

I'll definitely beat it and soon more than likely. I honestly only played it because of the Ray Tracing, but the gameplay is just good enough to keep me around for the entire experience.

I don't know if it is just me, but for some reason when I play this I constantly am reminded of The Division games. It's as if The Division series was singleplayer only and had a baby with Stranger Things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

I started out really enjoying the game but eventually got fatigued of the controls (no pun intended) and the story. I did something I typically don't do which is just watch a recap on YouTube because I was interested in what happens but not enough to actually finish it and I'm glad I made that decision. I didn't pay for it so wasn't out anything.

Doesn't seem like the payoff was worth the hassle for my taste. I got kind of a Max Payne vibe with it myself.. lot of inner dialogue/monologue and creepy/dark areas. I didn't even really pay attention to who the developer was until I came up with that thought and once I saw it was Remedy it made sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »