Home

Watch Dogs Legion

This is a discussion on Watch Dogs Legion within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #321
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Watch Dogs Legion

The "You Can't See Me" Trophy is impossible. It is so frustrating. I cannot get to a Level 5, and the Living Statue weapons suck.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2021, 10:45 PM   #322
Rookie

lunch pale gang's Arena

OVR: 2

The “Bloodlines” dlc is by far better than the main game. If you’re a Watch Dogs series fan, do yourself a favor and play Bloodlines.

It gets rid of the gimmickie play as anyone trope, which never allows you to build a relationship with any character, and puts you in control of Aiden (main protagonist for WD1, and my personal favorite WD character) and Wrench (WD2 character). The game is so much more enjoyable playing and completing missions as one character that you know the backstory of than it is completing missions with random characters that you’re not invested in at all.

I can only imagine how great Legion would’ve been if Ubisoft would’ve made it with a one story protagonist.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:59 PM   #323
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunch pale gang
The “Bloodlines” dlc is by far better than the main game. If you’re a Watch Dogs series fan, do yourself a favor and play Bloodlines.

It gets rid of the gimmickie play as anyone trope, which never allows you to build a relationship with any character, and puts you in control of Aiden (main protagonist for WD1, and my personal favorite WD character) and Wrench (WD2 character). The game is so much more enjoyable playing and completing missions as one character that you know the backstory of than it is completing missions with random characters that you’re not invested in at all.

I can only imagine how great Legion would’ve been if Ubisoft would’ve made it with a one story protagonist.
I wouldn't call it a gimmick. I had a relationship with the people I recruited. My heart pounded more when I was one shot away from losing my starting character forever than it ever would have been using a main protagonist who I knew would be there once I restarted at the checkpoint.

Recruiting certain people with certain careers, skills, etc. led to me getting a connection with each operative that was unique to them.

I love the play as anyone mechanic. It wasn't perfect and needs to be fleshed out more if they continue with it, but I don't think the game would have been any better playing as a crafted main protagonist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 08-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #324
Rookie

lunch pale gang's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I wouldn't call it a gimmick. I had a relationship with the people I recruited. My heart pounded more when I was one shot away from losing my starting character forever than it ever would have been using a main protagonist who I knew would be there once I restarted at the checkpoint.

Recruiting certain people with certain careers, skills, etc. led to me getting a connection with each operative that was unique to them.

I love the play as anyone mechanic. It wasn't perfect and needs to be fleshed out more if they continue with it, but I don't think the game would have been any better playing as a crafted main protagonist.

Fair points, but I submit that by the fact that you simply identified your initial player as "my starting character" and not by name, amplifies my argument that the play as anyone mechanic leads to a lack of a deep connection with that character. Yes, I had a shallow and superficial connection to each character I controlled, but it was nowhere near as deep as the connection I had with Aiden and Marcus from the previous games.

In a story driven game like Watch Dogs, I much prefer getting to know the history and underlying motivations of one main protagonist, which I submit that Watch Dogs Legion didn't have, then some base cursory knowledge of a hodgepodge of supporting characters.

Now, in my playing of sports games (baseball, hockey, and football) I much prefer playing the team modes (franchise, season, etc...) where you have control over all the players, than I do the one player modes (be a pro, road to the show, etc..) that have stories associated with them. Go figure!
Old 08-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #325
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

The bad news 9 months later my game still will not save. I've not had the heart to restart it as I had my team built up of 20 characters I was going to roll with the rest of the game. I know the patch coming next week is suppose to add manual saves to consoles so I'm crossing my fingers that allows me to save. I did lose some of story progression when the glitch happened, but I would pick that over starting over.

The good news since I had the season pass I had the bloodline DLC. So I fired that up and it is saving my missions and I'm just about done with all the side content. I am going to try and rush through it just incase something funny happens. Its been a good way to knock the dust off as its been a while since I've tried it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #326
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunch pale gang
Fair points, but I submit that by the fact that you simply identified your initial player as "my starting character" and not by name, amplifies my argument that the play as anyone mechanic leads to a lack of a deep connection with that character. Yes, I had a shallow and superficial connection to each character I controlled, but it was nowhere near as deep as the connection I had with Aiden and Marcus from the previous games.

In a story driven game like Watch Dogs, I much prefer getting to know the history and underlying motivations of one main protagonist, which I submit that Watch Dogs Legion didn't have, then some base cursory knowledge of a hodgepodge of supporting characters.

Now, in my playing of sports games (baseball, hockey, and football) I much prefer playing the team modes (franchise, season, etc...) where you have control over all the players, than I do the one player modes (be a pro, road to the show, etc..) that have stories associated with them. Go figure!
I could have mentioned their names, but I don't feel that is all that relevant to the discussion.

I understand where you're coming from, but I never felt the backstory of the characters in the series was something that was vital. In fact, especially in WD2, I felt having a backstory somewhat forced the player into playing a certain way for the canon experience.

I've seen this same sentiment shared by many, but it never felt right to ever play anything but nonlethal with Marcus. Going in and shooting up the place never felt right with him, killing anyone in general never seemed to fit him and his backstory. His personality wasn't that of a character that would be okay taking lives.

Aiden felt a bit more right killing people, but he honestly just came off as some psychopath and wasn't that great of a character. When Watch Dogs originally came out he was not very liked, but ever since 2 came out the past has been rewritten and people suddenly love him and missed his tone compared to what Marcus and WD2 gave us.

With Legion I found myself using different characters for different approaches and it always feeling right. It gave me a connection to those characters. I personally didn't need to know every backstory for every character, not in the detail that we had with Aiden and Marcus.

I didn't need a situation like with Aiden where his niece was killed and the story didn't make much sense from then on. I didn't need a situation with Marcus where he was framed by the system and his revenge at least made more sense.

The world set the stage in Legion and it made sense why people would naturally rise up and fight the system. I could go and recruit certain types of people that would fit when I wanted to go in and kill people, quietly or loudly. I could recruit people that would stay behind the shadows, hacking away, playing nonlethally.

Having a team that had different strengths and weaknesses and offering such variety in approaches all game was the star of the game for me. I much preferred that idea over having a character like Marcus who led to a jarring experience if I ever wanted to go balls to the wall shooting everybody. His backstory, personality, the dialogue in the game, the tone of the game, etc. did not fit with that approach. Ubisoft offered you the option to approach 2 how you wanted, but it was clear the game was written in a way where the nonlethal approach was the "right" choice and was canon.

The play as anyone fixed the issues that existed because we played as Aiden and Marcus in the first two games, imo of course.

― Plato
Old 08-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #327
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Haven't played it in a while. Any improvement to the screen tearing on PS4?

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 08-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #328
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

$20 on sale on Amazon FYI

https://www.amazon.com/Watch-Dogs-Le...=operasport-20

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »