Home

Remnant: From The Ashes (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One)

This is a discussion on Remnant: From The Ashes (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Remnant: From The Ashes (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One)

Wanted to post a topic for this game as I have watched every live stream and it looks very good in my opinion. Previews said that the shooting is tight and responsive with solid melee combat. It is sometimes referred to as shooterSouls because the enemies respawn when you die or rest at a crystal but you don't lose any XP, credit or any items that you acquired.

Remnant: From the Ashes is a third-person survival action shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by monstrous creatures. As one of the last remnants of humanity, you’ll set out alone or alongside up to two other survivors to face down hordes of deadly enemies and epic bosses, and try to retake what was lost.

Explore dynamically-generated worlds that change each time you play, filled with over 100 varieties of deadly enemies and 20 epic bosses to battle using a wicked arsenal of weapons, armor, and special modifications you can use to adapt to any situation.

Remnant: From The Ashes is developed by Gunfire Games (Darksiders III and made up of former Vigil employees who developed Darksiders 1 and 2) and is being published by Perfect World Entertainment.

Remnant: From The Ashes releases August 20th on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One but those who pre-order get four days early access and can start playing on August 16th. Price is $40 and as of now, digital only.

Official Announcement Trailer (7/18/18) -

Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer (8/20/18) -

Official Story Trailer (6/10/19) -

There's also plenty of gameplay livestreams on the official Remnant page on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0h...zsL0DmA/videos

I'm definitely hyped and looking forward to playing Remnant next Friday. Don't know if anyone here is interested or not but I'll definitely be posting my impressions next weekend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Remnant: From The Ashes (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One)

Finally was able to purchase Remnant yesterday for PS4. Played a few hours and can say that the game is real good with the major issue in general being too many "adds" during boss fights. I wish it was more balanced for solo play but otherwise, the visuals are better than I expected, the voice acting is pretty good, story is decent thus far but it's the gameplay, gunplay, shooting mechanics and melee combat that's the star of the game.

Remnant is dynamically generated when you start a world based on a tile system. Kind of like say, there's scenario A/B/C/D, etc. and if you get scenario B, you'll fight different enemies, bosses and the locations will look different than if someone was playing scenario D. Everything was hand crafted though which is great.

Will get back to Remnant Friday since im working tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
Finally was able to purchase Remnant yesterday for PS4. Played a few hours and can say that the game is real good with the major issue in general being too many "adds" during boss fights. I wish it was more balanced for solo play but otherwise, the visuals are better than I expected, the voice acting is pretty good, story is decent thus far but it's the gameplay, gunplay, shooting mechanics and melee combat that's the star of the game.

Remnant is dynamically generated when you start a world based on a tile system. Kind of like say, there's scenario A/B/C/D, etc. and if you get scenario B, you'll fight different enemies, bosses and the locations will look different than if someone was playing scenario D. Everything was hand crafted though which is great.

Will get back to Remnant Friday since im working tomorrow.

Thanks for the impressions. Been on the fence with this but most of everything I’ve read seems promising. Will be snagging this for PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

This game is a blast. If you're starting out, I'd suggest rerolling your campaign to hard difficulty after the tutorial. The game has a much better feel/balance. I didn't know about difficulty changes for the first few hours and on normal I was steam rolling bosses first try. This is my experience in 2 player coop at least. Single player is probably different and might want to stick to normal.

PC version looks great on high and I get over 100 frames with a 2080. Ultra is a different story, frames drop to 60 at times so I stuck with high.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by mikenoob; 08-23-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Me and my cousin picked this up today and it's pretty damn solid. It's like they cherry picked all the good parts of different games and threw them all together to make Remnant. Destiny 2 drop in/out coop, The Division item drops, Dark Souls healing system (demon hearts vs Estus Flask), movement camera angle, and damage style. It IS significantly easier than any of the From Software games though, at least on Normal like Mike said. The most interesting part is the procedural generated dungeons and encounters.

Mike jumped in with us today for a couple runs and while we were struggling with our low ranked guys, Mike was wiping the floor with everything.

All in all I will get my $40 out of this for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
MVP

Played 17 hours yesterday and a few hours today. Up to the third world. Remnant is good but I do have a few complaints. The melee combat is based on the direction that the camera is facing so if you move the camera in front of you to where you're looking at the face of your character instead of his back and you press R2 to do a melee attack, he'll swing/attack behind him as opposed to in front of him.

Not being able to upgrade your weapon ammo capacity is annoying. Include not being able to sell/dismantle your weapons. With that said, im enjoying Remnant overall but now, it will go on the back burner so I can play Control and then Gears 5 as they simply take precedence over Remnant plus Remnant is a digital only game so I know it's not going anywhere.

Also wish that the difficulty/number of enemies were more balanced towards solo players like myself. Other than that and what I mentioned earlier, no other complaints.

Boss fights are real good. Visuals are good. Audio is solid. Story/characters is okay for what it is. It's all about the gunplay/shooting mechanics and gameplay itself which is great.

It's definitely addictive, fun and very satisfying when you complete an area or a boss fight.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:29 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Yea another minor complaint is how there isn't really a push for new weapons but more for boosts, boosts are the real sellers on your build while the weapon is the vehicle to achieve them.

I would like to see a great emphasis on melee builds, my guy just feels less than capable unless he is fighting minions that charge. Boss battles I'm lacking in the damage dealt unless I run the shotty the entire time but with only 21 rounds, it goes quick. I have to carry 5 or 6 ammo boxes on me at all times to get around it.

All in all the minor complains I have, I see them either being balanced.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Me and my cousin picked this up today and it's pretty damn solid. It's like they cherry picked all the good parts of different games and threw them all together to make Remnant. Destiny 2 drop in/out coop, The Division item drops, Dark Souls healing system (demon hearts vs Estus Flask), movement camera angle, and damage style. It IS significantly easier than any of the From Software games though, at least on Normal like Mike said. The most interesting part is the procedural generated dungeons and encounters.

Mike jumped in with us today for a couple runs and while we were struggling with our low ranked guys, Mike was wiping the floor with everything.

All in all I will get my $40 out of this for sure.
I was actually using a new character that run lol. I think my highest gear level was +3 magnum. I knew the scaling in the game is all ****ed up so I didn't join with my +15 character because you would have been stuck in that world being severely underleveled.

The root mother church fight was close, I didn't realize you both went down and I had no way to revive you guys with 30 enemies all around. Luckily the mission timer expired and cleared everything up just as I had 1 hp left.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Operation Sports mobile app

There are actually a decent amount of weapons, but they're more hidden or you have to craft them via boss items. Since the game is procedurally generated you may not be able to find certain weapons. My new character happened to have found the quest item for the magnum in the very first area and it's better than my coach gun lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »