Home

Will AAA Linear games ever return ?

This is a discussion on Will AAA Linear games ever return ? within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Operation Sports Is Looking for Folks Who Want to Create Great Videos
WWE 2K21 Needs a True MyGM/Booker Mode
FIFA 20 CONMEBOL Libertadores Impressions: A Missed Opportunity
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 02-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Will AAA Linear games ever return ?

The last several years the trend continues with just about every game either online are open world. So I started wonder will the AAA games ever go back to being Linear are is that just a thing of the past ?

I personally prefer linear games to open world as they are shorter and don't waste my time with transportation and fluff. During the ps3 era most of the great AAA games were linear and now they are pretty much extinct. I can still fall in love with a open world if its done great like RDR are HZD even a niche thing like Spiderman. However a lot of time I find the worlds bare bones and the story suffers from it.

Is it just me who misses the linear games ? Maybe everyone else attention span is longer then mine and can spend a lot of time in one game without getting bored.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Will AAA Linear games ever return ?

Games that were released, linear and I completed in 2019 -

Resident Evil 2
Metro Exodus (wide linear levels, linear story)
Devil May Cry 5
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Judgment (one map, linear story, can ignore all the side content)
Remnant: From The Ashes
Control
Gears 5
COD: MW 2019
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Basically, 10 out of the 19 games I completed in 2019 were linear and not open world. A few may have wide linear levels but they're more linear than open world. There's plenty of linear games. Just have to look out for them.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Rookie

My favorite type of level design is in games like in Thief 1 & 2.

Large well designed levels that aren't 'open world' or 'linear'.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O

Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5
Control
Gears 5

Basically, 10 out of the 19 games I completed in 2019 were linear and not open world. A few may have wide linear levels but they're more linear than open world. There's plenty of linear games. Just have to look out for them.
The new Last of Us is coming out. Uncharted is coming out. There are a healthy number of AAA linear games.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The new Last of Us is coming out. Uncharted is coming out. There are a healthy number of AAA linear games.

Agreed. REmake3 is five weeks away from Friday. Doom Eternal is right around the corner as is Nioh 2. So plenty of linear AAA titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Control and Star Wars are definitely on my radar to play soon largely because they are linear.

I played Judgement and while I did like it I would still call that open world. It is a small map that you can walk from place to place quickly so I enjoyed that better then a huge map. I wish it would have had a fast travel system allowing me to get from one place to the next. If it had that I could have cut off a few hours from the play time since I skipped all the side stuff.

I'm also picky about the type of games I play so the others you mentioned aren't really my type of game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5
Control
Gears 5

Yea this is something I like as well I was hoping that's what God of War would be, but I wouldn't call it that. I believe the middle Tomb Raider had this type of world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraticus
My favorite type of level design is in games like in Thief 1 & 2.

Large well designed levels that aren't 'open world' or 'linear'.

I've got the Last of Us pre ordered so I'm pumped about that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Old 02-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
Control and Star Wars are definitely on my radar to play soon largely because they are linear.

I played Judgement and while I did like it I would still call that open world. It is a small map that you can walk from place to place quickly so I enjoyed that better then a huge map. I wish it would have had a fast travel system allowing me to get from one place to the next. If it had that I could have cut off a few hours from the play time since I skipped all the side stuff.

I'm also picky about the type of games I play so the others you mentioned aren't really my type of game.

Control was my 7th best game of 2019 with Jedi being 2nd best. Both were amazing games. I'm looking forward to The Foundation which is the first expansion for Control and Jedi has me wanting another Star Wars game like it but with shooting being the focus instead of it being a Souls type melee combat focused game. Jedi is the closest anyone is going to get to Star Wars 1313.

Judgment was in my bottom 5 out of my top 19. Still rated it an 8/10. Some stuff I didn't like and yeah, I ignored all the side stuff as well. I play the Yakuza type games for the story/characters first and the gameplay/combat second. I do believe that Yakuza Zero/Kiwami/Kiwami 2 are all better than Judgment.

While they may not be your type of game, I'll give you a little extra info on majority of them just in case you change your mind and give them a chance.

No interest in Resident Evil 2? Or perhaps already played it? REmake2 was my 3rd best game of 2019. To me, it's what all future RE games should be. It's simply the blueprint. I played each character once and each was around 15 hours each. Strictly linear but my goodness, so damn good.

Metro Exodus maps are wide-linear but you can follow the story path if you don't want to explore. There are a few action sequences in Metro as well.

DMC 5 is a great hack and slash game with great boss fights and gameplay. It's linear. If you like previous DMC games or Bayonetta for example, that's the type of game DMC 5 is. It was the first DMC I ever completed as I only played the original back on PS2 for maybe a few hours. I honestly don't even remember. DMC 5 has made me a fan going forward.

Plague Tale Innocence is purely linear and straightforward. It was my 6th best game of 2019. Surprised the hell out of me and I regretted not buying it day one since I rented it. Think Hellblade because that will come to mind but also more story, character focused like say Detroit but without all the QTE stuff. It's around a 20 or so hour game. This game also made me a fan of Asobo Studio. They have already confirmed a sequel so im all in day one.

Remnant is a third person shooter with loot and is difficult like souls but not to that extent. It has excellent gunplay and shooting mechanics. Boss battles are great. Visuals are like Darksiders 3 since it's the same developer but more realistic. Audio is good. Music is damn good. Game is linear as you go through four worlds (maps) to get to the final boss fight. Story and characters is good at best. Not why I played the game. I rated it an 8.0/10 as I was expecting around a 7.0/10 or so but was actually better than I was expecting. It's around a 20-40 hour depending on how you play.

Gears 5/COD MW are franchises that im sure you're well aware of so I don't think I need to explain them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »