Home

Mafia Trilogy (Mafia 1,2, and 3 Remastered)

This is a discussion on Mafia Trilogy (Mafia 1,2, and 3 Remastered) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Mafia Trilogy (Mafia 1,2, and 3 Remastered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
Never played the original games... Started playing 2, got up to Chapter 3. Really liking it so far but im wondering if i should hold off on it all until the Mafia 1 remake is released and then play them chronologically.
Since you don't know the story, it might be better to play them chronologically. I had plans to play them chronologically, but since I get 2 and 3 free since I had the digital copies, and I already know the story, I've decided to play 2 then 3, then 1 when it releases. A big reason for my decision is because it might potentially feel weird seeing 1 get remade on a new engine with all the bells and whistles, then progress to playing 2 which is a 10 year-old game with some graphical updates.

Ultimately, it is up to you, but if you want to play them chronologically for the story progression, and don't mind that 2 will likely feel dated compared to 1 since 1 will be technically the newest game, then I'd say wait.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #42
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

I'd say play 1 before you play Mafia 2 because there is a very small connection.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #43
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

So, this is a trilogy that's been on my "to do" list for a long time.

I wanted to ask a question. How is the feel of the gameplay in these titles? Does it feel clunky like the Rockstar games or is it more fluid than that? Any other titles that are even decent comparisons? (again, speaking strictly of gameplay mechanics)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
So, this is a trilogy that's been on my "to do" list for a long time.

I wanted to ask a question. How is the feel of the gameplay in these titles? Does it feel clunky like the Rockstar games or is it more fluid than that? Any other titles that are even decent comparisons? (again, speaking strictly of gameplay mechanics)
I personally don't feel that Rockstar games seem clunky, but I would say the feeling in this series feels more responsive I guess is how I'd put it. Rockstar games have a lot of weight to their movements, but Mafia controls more like the older GTA games where you push in a direction and they instantly go that direction unlike how there is a sense of momentum and inertia in all titles on the RAGE engine

― Plato
Old 05-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #45
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

I never played Mafia II...

I do remember 42 on here raving about how good it was at the time though

What do you guys think, should i bite?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I never played Mafia II...

I do remember 42 on here raving about how good it was at the time though

What do you guys think, should i bite?
Do you like GTA-style open world games? It's got a nice open world that is very nice to look at, there are some stores to go into, collectibles to find, but overall the game has a more linear approach to it than GTA typically has. If you have played LA Noire, then you know that game had a nice recreation of LA, but was a very linear game and you didn't really explore the open world much, nor have reason to outside of sight-seeing. Mafia II is in between LA Noire and GTA. It's got the open world, you have reasons to explore to get collectibles, to go to some shops, but it's not filled with side activities like GTA. The story missions are practically where any action will take place.

― Plato
Old 05-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #47
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Do you like GTA-style open world games? It's got a nice open world that is very nice to look at, there are some stores to go into, collectibles to find, but overall the game has a more linear approach to it than GTA typically has. If you have played LA Noire, then you know that game had a nice recreation of LA, but was a very linear game and you didn't really explore the open world much, nor have reason to outside of sight-seeing. Mafia II is in between LA Noire and GTA. It's got the open world, you have reasons to explore to get collectibles, to go to some shops, but it's not filled with side activities like GTA. The story missions are practically where any action will take place.
Indeed I do.

I saw a military mission on there somewhere on there that intrigued me... im sure its short but right now im not playing much anyway... too little time.

Want it to be worthwhile, AND since im building a new PC why not.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

The military part is really short, but if you enjoy these types of games, I say get it. It is a game that reviewed well, but still seems to not get the recognition it may deserve. The new remaster also runs extremely well, at least for me.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »