Home

Hogwarts Legacy (2021)

This is a discussion on Hogwarts Legacy (2021) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #33
Rookie

Heisman's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Hogwarts Legacy (2021)

I wish we could’ve started earlier than a 5th year student. It would’ve been nice to start at the very beginning. Game still looks good, but I am a little let down by that.
NHL - Los Angeles Kings
MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
EPL - Newcastle United
Old 03-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #34
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1
Hogwarts Legacy (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Besides it being a game in the Harry Potter Universe, what made it look incredible? There was nothing that stood out in the gameplay to me. The graphics were not the best (I will chalk this up for being an "early build" for now, but I know not to get my hopes up). We seen the same attack over and over again. Nothing stood out.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Took the words right out of my mouth. I feel like if you’re not a Harry Potter fanatic this game will just be boring. Like you mentioned above, in that fairly long video, all we saw was same exact move over and over again. If I wanted to stand at distance and cast the same spell over and over again I’ll do a magic build in Elden Ring.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 6

Wow the bar in games seems to be infinite these days, I thought that state of play looked amazing (admittedly big HP fan).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #36
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

But what makes it amazing besides the fact that we are finally getting a non-Lego Harry Potter game? What made that 14 minutes stand out compared to other games besides "Holy ****, a Harry Potter game!"

The bar is set EXTREMELY high because it is in the Harry Potter Universe.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 03-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #37
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

I'm not a massive Harry Potter fan (perhaps a bit too old to get into the craze when it first started), but I would still give this game a go if they can deliver on what they claim. For me that's a big IF, however. I don't buy into game hype anymore. It always falls well short of what the developers are promising, and this game feels fairly ambitious.

Yeah, the combat wasn't particularly advanced in this video, but going beyond that I'd say there's a lot to consider. The question is whether any of it is implemented with detail and care or if it's all superficial and shallow. The other big question is how much freedom does one really have versus the rails of the story?
Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #38
All Star

OVR: 8

I don't know that you can extract the IP from the game though. I remember this game on PC in the late 90s called Star Wars Rebellion. It was a 4x Star Wars game, play as the empire to conquer the galaxy or the rebellion to free it. It had tons of bugs and other issues, but I absolutely loved that game because it allowed me to experience the Star Wars universe.

So, for any fan of the Harry Potter universe, just getting to be part of it offers it's own value. It's kind of cheating, but that's the advantage of a popular IP.

Combat looks fairly straight forward, but there did appear to be some combos and environmental tactics you could take advantage of. Hopefully it's fluid.

Really hoping you can join the House Quidditch team and compete for the Cup.

Graphics looked pretty good in some areas and fairly weak in others. Could just be a problem with it being early footage.

I have an unsubstantiated fear that this game will be really short. Maybe it's just past experiences with games like this or how they talked about you advancing through the school year, I just got the impression that this could be a relatively short game.

Overall I liked what I saw. You get to experience life at Hogwarts like anyone who grew up with the books wanted to. You even get to play on the darker side of things if you so choose.

The one other area that I'm concerned about, probably my biggest fear, is the story. I really hope you aren't some completely new to magic kid who gets dropped into 5th year at Hogwarts and they say "have at it and go save the world!". Hopefully you have some prior training/exposure to magic, and this is just your formal training. I kind of doubt it will go that way though. It's a very often used trope to bring in someone, have them catch up and surpass all of their peers, without any real basis for doing so. It's a trope that I loathe and despise though.

Last edited by KSUowls; 03-18-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:07 AM   #39
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

I guess I'm just easy to please because I was blown away by what was shown.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #40
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

It looks like a fun game and the HP universe helps but I’m confused on what you do? Do you actually attend classes between missions?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »